Thanks for the replies everyone. Both opinions definitely have their merits. I'm in no hurry to start cracking on Triathlons so I will wait patiently for a bike that "speaks" to me to pop up on the hub.

Rougemeister, I think you're right about getting a cheap tri-bike now and then wanting to upgrade it before IM. So the way forward for me will probably be a cheapish road bike with clip on tri-bars for a year or two until I do the full IM...I went from wanting one bike to wanting two in the last 5 hours :oops:

I also completely forgot that I wouldn't be able to do any road events on the tri-bike. So, an added benefit of the road bike would also be being able to do road events in the interim which will be good training for the cycle leg.

Just as a side note, I remember reading an article when I was getting ready for my first 70.3 and it reckoned that a full on TT bike is only about 1 minute faster over the 90km bike leg compared to a properly set up road bike with clip-on tri bars and deep section wheels. So I ended up just getting the tri bars and a set-forward seatpost with ISM tri saddle for my road bike and that worked perfectly.

Can't say that I've ever done a full IM though (I'm not a big fan of running and have no desire to run a marathon ever let alone after cycling 180km).

Edited by Jehosefat

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

https://bikehub.co.za/classifieds/item/road-bikes/406031/giant-propel-advanced-with-mavic-wheels

Maybe this could be the starting bike I was waiting for...what are the chances? It seems like a good aero design, the reviews I’ve read online seem pretty good as well and they rate the bike as good value for money.

The deep section wheels and the tri seat are a bonus - so it will probably just need tri bars.

I guess I could be getting into triathlons sooner than I thought...

https://bikehub.co.za/classifieds/item/road-bikes/406031/giant-propel-advanced-with-mavic-wheels

Maybe this could be the starting bike I was waiting for...what are the chances? It seems like a good aero design, the reviews I’ve read online seem pretty good as well and they rate the bike as good value for money.

The deep section wheels and the tri seat are a bonus - so it will probably just need tri bars.

Wow thats a good looking deal! Nice aero frame too. You'll need to change the handlebars because I'm sure most clip-ons need a round section to clamp to, but thats small change.

I have a propel, thing is fast just standing still.

That bike is not a 2018 model by the way, thats a 2014 i think.. Not there are many changes but that colour scheme is definitely not a 2018. I spent months agonising over giant propels in 2018 so have a good idea of colour schemes over the last 3 or 4 years.

25 clip also seems a little on the high side for that bike IF it is a 2014 model. 

Speaing of colour schemes the 2020 Red e tap propel is gorgeous...just damn gorgeous

Edited by IceCreamMan

Nice bike.

Be careful during negotiations and don't make any price commitment until you have seen the bike in person. There seems to be some scratches that you might just want to have a look at. Nothing major, as long as you make peace with some cosmetic damage.

I do think it is a buyer's market currently, so make sure you get the best bang for buck.

Lastly, don't know if it was mentioned before, but just make 100% sure about the right size for you. I ride a 58 Road bike and have been told a couple of times by bike fitters that I would need a size 56 for the best fit when it comes to triathlons. Nothing worse that sitting with a frame size that is not the right size, everything else can be tuned around it.

Enjoy!

Nice bike.

Be careful during negotiations and don't make any price commitment until you have seen the bike in person. There seems to be some scratches that you might just want to have a look at. Nothing major, as long as you make peace with some cosmetic damage.

I do think it is a buyer's market currently, so make sure you get the best bang for buck.

Lastly, don't know if it was mentioned before, but just make 100% sure about the right size for you. I ride a 58 Road bike and have been told a couple of times by bike fitters that I would need a size 56 for the best fit when it comes to triathlons. Nothing worse that sitting with a frame size that is not the right size, everything else can be tuned around it.

Enjoy!

Out of interest, how tall are you?

I'm 1.81m and I'm riding a Large Shiv.

With the likelihood that all triathlon events will be cancelled this year, it will only be the third time since 1988 that I have not done at least one triathlon per year. A bit of a sad situation.

Out of interest, how tall are you?

I'm 1.81m and I'm riding a Large Shiv.

Slightly longer arms and legs than normal for my torso. Don't know if that helps.

• 4 weeks later...

Umm if anyone needs a new bike.... I mean 1 of those wheels is R35k, this doesn't quite add up 

https://bikehub.co.za/classifieds/item/triathlon-and-time-trial-bikes/410466/felt-da-tt-bike

Saw that yesterday, almost considered buying it just for the wheels, but have too many frames at the moment, so trying offload another frame when there is no racing is going to be difficult, so not to be.

Bargain for someone if it does add up

Saw that yesterday, almost considered buying it just for the wheels, but have too many frames at the moment, so trying offload another frame when there is no racing is going to be difficult, so not to be.

Bargain for someone if it does add up

I assumed it was because Noone wants tubbies anymore, hence the low price

This is a pretty unbelievable video. Seriously highlighting the difference between a proper pro and average Joe.

At one stage one could buy insurance.... is that still the case? 

I think IM should offer refunds as a matter of course. They must have insurance or should have insurance for this kind of thing. I understand why they dont offer refunds as they need the liquidity to survive and pay salaries etc too i spose. Also some of their costs may not be refundable either such as advertising etc. 

If people want their money back i guess its the right thing to do. Most will renter. Many will also be quite happy to defer. I have deferred all my events thus far. 

At one stage one could buy insurance.... is that still the case? 

I think IM should offer refunds as a matter of course. They must have insurance or should have insurance for this kind of thing. I understand why they dont offer refunds as they need the liquidity to survive and pay salaries etc too i spose. Also some of their costs may not be refundable either such as advertising etc. 

If people want their money back i guess its the right thing to do. Most will renter. Many will also be quite happy to defer. I have deferred all my events thus far. 

In the UK  I think you can get insurance through British Triathlon for event cancellation, but why should you have to take on that extra cost?

Thought I saw somewhere a while back there was a group of athletes Thailand/Philippines (somewhere like that) who were also taking IM to court to get a refund for a late cancelled event.

I guess IM will argue that they do offer % of the entrance fee back depending how long before the event you request it, else the option to defer, which many seem to do.