Is this bike worth restoring?

BigDL

Have this bike in my shed at the moment being stored along with a lot of other stuff whilst my mate is extending his house. He was given it by the widow of his neighbour and we are wondering if it is worth restoring?

Any thoughts appreciated.

ec512d6ee3c298103cfa6467e1e7eeec.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have this bike in my shed at the moment being stored along with a lot of other stuff whilst my mate is extending his house. He was given it by the widow of his neighbour and we are wondering if it is worth restoring?

Any thoughts appreciated.

ec512d6ee3c298103cfa6467e1e7eeec.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I will buy it from you :)

how much do you want? 

Rubbish. Throw it away, gently. (And then tell me where you threw it.)

I think you get the picture!  :mellow:

Interesting Bianchi. It is steel framed and looks like a tourer or Audax type bike. The downtube shifters on the headset is either a unique modification or an unusual original design. What components does it have on. The crank and shifters look like Campagnolo.........things are getting even more interesting.......post pictures from the drive train side and more close ups. Also post in the Retro Bike thread where the real experts hang out.

Personally, I wouldn't waste the time. That's a cheap entry-level 'racer' probably equipped with Shimano Tourney or comparable Euro stuff from the era, steel rims and likely the cheapest of cheap square taper crankset, putting it just ahead of the most bargain bin bikes of that era which would have cottered steel cranks. The stem-mounted shifters are not unusual, they were just reserved for Makro-type racers'; the brakes look like centre-pull Mafac or Dia Compe parts and the 'lazy levers' are another 'budget' giveaway. Note the pressed steel dropouts, too - those are reserved for mass produced bikes; the derailleur is likely to be mounted to a plate which is clamped by the QR rather than direct mount to the frame.

There's Bianchi and there's Bianchi, just like you wouldn't associate Dura Ace with Tourney though both are Shimano, one is not necessarily the other.

Guest notmyname

Just restore it on a budget, ride it at mass or to the corner Café to pick up milk. All Italian bikes are sweet and this one is unique and by the looks in pretty good knick. Intern, it's not just high end retros that get attention. Loads of SA 70s and 80s whips out there that are sick!

Definitely restore it, but don't respray.   A clean up and clear coat maybe to preserve it.

I good service and polish will yield amazing (and cheap ) results

Just restore it on a budget, ride it at mass or to the corner Café to pick up milk. All Italian bikes are sweet and this one is unique and by the looks in pretty good knick. Intern, it's not just high end retros that get attention. Loads of SA 70s and 80s whips out there that are sick!

Fair enough on that, but the effort required to restore a bike, IMHO, isn't worth expending on a low end machine...

Archived