How essential is a power meter on a MTB?

JJ

Hi guys

Would love your opinions on this. How important is a power meter for mtb racing/training? I used to race and train way more road, with a power meter but I moved over to 100% mtb.

Do you guys think its necessary to get power meter for the mtb as well?

Much appreciated.

NO !! Most of the time there is hardly time to drink from your bottle .The only info i want is total time and heart rate sometimes 

I have one on my mtb - occasionally useful during a ride - more useful for analysis post race and training.

I also have a pm on my ss... fwiw...

I monitor my form (fitness + state of recovery) by having power meters on both my bikes.

Remember also, training on the road (intervals and tempo, etc) is best controlled by power meter input even if on an MTB.

How competitive are you?

I monitor my form (fitness + state of recovery) by having power meters on both my bikes.

Remember also, training on the road (intervals and tempo, etc) is best controlled by power meter input even if on an MTB.

How competitive are you?

I'm no nino, nor can I quit my day job. But I like to race and start in the front with the big guns and stay there as long as I can. I think the power meter would be great for post ride/race analysis and to see over training better.

FWIW, I don't watch the reading from my PM like a hawk when riding my MTB, I will have a glance when I think I am going hard to just see how far over my FTP I am :eek:.  

Post ride I will have a look and see how much time I spent in the red (most of it) and try to remember how I felt at that point...I don't analyze the data with a fine tooth comb either, I just have a look at averages and maxes etc...

I found this basic data has helped in multi day events (even the short 3 day ones) where I can see if I pushed a bit hard on day one then I have to be careful not to burn too many matches on day 2 otherwise day 3 is gonna be hard...

But then I am NOWHERE close to a front runner....

What would you analyse and how would you spot overtraining?

Either via Training Peaks or use Golden Cheetah and monitor your PMC (Coggan & Skiba), TISS, sustained time in zones plus a whole host of other metrics... depends how in depth you want to go

What sharper said. Looking at your TISS is a good indicator at how hard you went on the specific ride. I used know by looking at my watts and my HR, if I need a rest day. Like you gave everythin but your numbers aren't great you know you need some rest. Just my experience.

I like what skinnyone said, with regards to FTP on satge races knowing your limits and not burning all your matches to early.

Edited by lil to the Lefty

See if you ask this then you clearly have not trained with a powermeter effectively or have done any research into it.

Like Shaper has mentioned, you can use the power data to analyse fitness, fatigue, stress load etc, etc. 

Sorry, I said all this in a non mean, good way.

What sharper said. Looking at your TISS is a good indicator at how hard you went on the specific ride. I used know by looking at my watts and my HR, if I need a rest day. Like you gave everythin but your numbers aren't reat you know you need some rest. Just my experience.

I like what skinnyone said, with regards to FTP on satge races knowing your limits and not burning all your matches to early.

It is well worth it

IF you use the data aptly

IF you are a seriaaas amateur wanting to race optimally

Excellent for pacing especially in MTB races, where there's a lot of individual time / less bunch dynamic

Edited by Puncheur

It is well worth it

IF you use the data aptly

IF you are a seriaaas amateur wanting to race optimally

Power was essential for me on the road. Think you guys convinced me.

And yes, those "ifs" make the difference.

hhahahahaha... 'essential'...

A chain is essential, brakes for most of us. Pedals, wheels and tires with a semi working headset and handlebars.

This gadget to avg amateur cyclist obsession is getting ridiculous.

But if you want it, buy it. It seems you have already bitten and are now unsure whether to plunge or keep wondering. 

Asking whether it is a rad gadget to further complicate your cycling with simple workouts and enabling you to use more buzzwords on your instagram feed is not 'essential'..... 

I think it would help if you were aiming to make it back to the top of the sport, rode 7 days a week and had dialled in all the other aspects of your training like diet, recovery, focus, sacrifice and a good mental space, then it would be worth it. Otherwise spend the 10 or 20 grand on one of the above. Or your missus or your family...

Also I have friends who have used their power meters to train more effectively for the stage racing, guys who thought they had to do 20+ hours a week for Epic (and have done so in the past) have now been able to train less hours more effectively and still finish higher up at the Epic than previous years...

Power was essential for me on the road. Think you guys convinced me.

And yes, those "ifs" make the difference.

Sterkte! ????????????????????????