Fake Ritchey bars are rubbish

Edition 507

elaborate?

It's Rouxtjie......no elaboration needed..........just accept it and move on.....

OP.....more importantly ......how broken are you ?

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Comp bar (on the evobikes site) is correct

Each level of ritchey product, Comp, WCS, WCS Carbon and Superlogic, have slightly different logos.

I guess so that you mix the right level of products together

The branding on the broken Superlogic Carbon bars is very different from the Official branding

Shamus

www.bicicletta.co.za

Yeah, sorry, that was kind of my point... the Alloy bars branding quite possibly got copied on to a carbon bar. Lets see what transpires though  :thumbup:

So it turns out that these Ritchey bars are fake and hence their catastrophic failure.

I have changed the title of this thread so as not to bring the original manufacturers product into disrepute. All apologies to Ritchey and Shamus.

A bit of an eye opener for me that I could have put so much trust into an absolute piece of rubbish like that! Thankfully it snapped when it did and not at some other potentially more 'life threatening' situation.

I still trust my Alu bar. Not saying that there aren't any good carbon bars but why change to something else when what I have got does the trick.

So it turns out that these Ritchey bars are fake and hence their catastrophic failure.

I have changed the title of this thread so as not to bring the original manufacturers product into disrepute. All apologies to Ritchey and Shamus.

A bit of an eye opener for me that I could have put so much trust into an absolute piece of rubbish like that! Thankfully it snapped when it did and not at some other potentially more 'life threatening' situation.

This thread should now be merged with the dodgy classifieds thread...

Interesting hints from Shamus around identifying fakes, wonder if there is any more information that could be shared in order to help identify them in future, without giving the crooks too much that they can make the fake identical.

Yoh

Yip glad you're okay, Carbon'

????????

Would like to know how you inadvertently acquired them....

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Would like to know how you inadvertently acquired them....

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Was thinking the same

Where were the bars purchased??

Alas alu isn't always safe... A mate tried to hand me half his alu bar at 50kph when he stood up to chase the break (break hahahaha). It was all fine and dandy until the gear and brake cables went taught then he tried to hand me his front wheel - not a great idea at said 50kph.

He was proper sore afterwards. Nice clean alu break with zero warning.

Personally I'm all for alu on bars, stem and seat pillar. I think it's safer (but not always safe!).

agree....we ride the lighting between light / strong / comfortable. 

agree....we ride the lighting between light / strong / comfortable.

Which is why I always err on the side of genuine parts from a reputable brand and a trusted retailer for structural parts.

And both of those conditions are important to me as I have heard too many stories of people who had paid for "genuine" parts from less than scrupulous retailers.

Now that we have established that these bars are fake, it raises a couple of questions;

Where were the bars purchased and why not check before purchase if fake or not...especially if they were half the normal price...or was it typical "I picked up a set of Ritchey carbon bars for ultra cheap - so I score!" attitude...

What did you expect to happen? especially knowing what you now know, and taking the above question into account.

Why does everyone get up in arms when the major manufacturers like Ritchey, Specialized, Trek etc all go on a "witch hunt" for this rip-off carbon rubbish, when it's their names on the line - like your title said originally...that is very damaging to a brand...Well done for changing the name of the thread and the apology, but it could have been handled a bit differently from the beginning IMHO.

Which is why I always err on the side of genuine parts from a reputable brand and a trusted retailer for structural parts.

And both of those conditions are important to me as I have heard too many stories of people who had paid for "genuine" parts from less than scrupulous retailers.

totally agree, the "fake" industry isn't just isolated to cycling...I play a bit of guitar and the chibsons and chartins look the part...but my goodness they dont sound the part. All effort goes into making something look original(clever laminating techniques), the last thing they think about is durability...some of the wiring is down right dangerous and well don't even get me started on acoustics, if pea soup had a sound...this would be it.

Now that we have established that these bars are fake, it raises a couple of questions;

Where were the bars purchased and why not check before purchase if fake or not...especially if they were half the normal price...or was it typical "I picked up a set of Ritchey carbon bars for ultra cheap - so I score!" attitude...

What did you expect to happen? especially knowing what you now know, and taking the above question into account.

Why does everyone get up in arms when the major manufacturers like Ritchey, Specialized, Trek etc all go on a "witch hunt" for this rip-off carbon rubbish, when it's their names on the line - like your title said originally...that is very damaging to a brand...Well done for changing the name of the thread and the apology, but it could have been handled a bit differently from the beginning IMHO.

I think everybody is looking for a bargain...its in our nature, so when something comes along that you think has met all quality controls and standards at an exceptionally good price...the little devil on your shoulder says...pull the trigger bud.

Obviously the OP didnt know they were fake, and the sneaky people making these fakes put all their effort into making it look like the real deal...It fooled everyone here until shamus(remember he knows ritchey stuff the best since he deals in their products) made the observation. 

totally agree, the "fake" industry isn't just isolated to cycling...I play a bit of guitar and the chibsons and chartins look the part...but my goodness they dont sound the part. All effort goes into making something look original(clever laminating techniques), the last thing they think about is durability...some of the wiring is down right dangerous and well don't even get me started on acoustics, if pea soup had a sound...this would be it.

Absolutely. Just such a pity an original Les Paul Standard will probably set you back around R60k these days? Lots of mula, but ja, that would be a once off investment. Will probably survive a lifetime. 

Archived