Pure Savage

Bought new brakepads for car in Nov they have been squeling non stop and I have now had enough any tips to get rid of it ? I have tried to clean them with acetone , this seemed to work for about 10 kms .

Anything please I can't take it anymore

• Replies 480
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Bought new brakepads for car in Nov they have been squeling non stop and I have now had enough any tips to get rid of it ? I have tried to clean them with acetone , this seemed to work for about 10 kms .

Have you tried the high temperature grease on the back of the pads? Made sure the anti rattle springs are installed correctly; there's no linear movement in the pads i.e they fit snugly into the caliper.

It could be the pad material, is there a lot of dust on the wheels?

Have you tried the high temperature grease on the back of the pads? Made sure the anti rattle springs are installed correctly; there's no linear movement in the pads i.e they fit snugly into the caliper.

It could be the pad material, is there a lot of dust on the wheels?

No dust , yet to try the grease , the springs are those small shim like things between the pad and the caliper

No dust , yet to try the grease , the springs are those small shim like things between the pad and the caliper

I just recently applied some copper grease to the back of the pads on my car as well as very little on the pad "ears" and it made a big difference. They also used to squeal like a seal bit now there is only a very slight squeal and im a few days in and all good.

Definitely try the grease as Alan attested. Yes the shim like things are the anti-rattle springs, they stop the pads from vibrating and causing the high pitched squeal we all know and love.

There's also a specific anti-squeal paste available, but I've never seen it (I haven't really looked that hard).

If you go back a few post I posted a guide to eliminating brake squeal, if you have done all that and you still have a squeal it could be sticky slide pins or hard spots in the pad. I was once broke and needed break pads. I bought really cheap ones, those things just sqealed like hell no matter what I did, if they weren't squealing they were making a horrible grinding noise. They got tossed the next payday and I've always used ATE after that.

Sent from my SM-A510F using Tapatalk

Edited by gazzacpt

• 1 month later...

I am in need of a reference for a reliable mech in durban. My scoobie forester is stuck dien there with a clutch that needs replacing.

Getting quotes is almost impossible, and then when they do quote they seem to really try and rip me a new one.

Last quote I got marked up oem parts on top of labour. ( I did my part pricing homework)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am in need of a reference for a reliable mech in durban. My scoobie forester is stuck dien there with a clutch that needs replacing.

Getting quotes is almost impossible, and then when they do quote they seem to really try and rip me a new one.

Last quote I got marked up oem parts on top of labour. ( I did my part pricing homework)

Very good mate of mine. Jonathan Macquet-Maurel. 0723980013. Ex Nissan, loads of experience. Been doing it since he was about 12, and is mobile. 

Typically how expensive is a scooby clutch replacement?

Typically how expensive is a scooby clutch replacement?

Depends, but below 10grand. Depending who does the work. OEM parts are around 5 grand. Add labour ( lots of stuff to remove to get to the box) and its sorted

Rock try service and suspension centre in pinetown

Thanks, car is barely mobile, pinetown may be a bit far. But can make a plan if I don't come right elsewhere

Ive still been having periodic problems with the Tazz where it will just cut out while driving. Sometimes it chuggs a little before cutting out and other times it just dies.

Happened to me this morning in Edenvale. I had the bonnet open and inspecting the engine like i knew what i was looking for to fix it.

Then all of a sudden this rather shady, smelly, homeless looking character come up to me and said "Hi, im Rob and im a mechanic, can i take a look". Hesitant, i said sure.

Suddenly this Rob chap starting yanking out the fuses to check, the taking out out the air filter and pulling out the fule line and pressing the accelerator cable a few times and then suddenty put the intake petrol line in his mouth and started sucking.

I though this oak was simply looking for a cheap petrol high but then he sucked out some petrol in him mouth, spat it in the carb and told me to try start it.

The car started first time, i was amazed. He said that there was an air bubble or air lock in the fuel line as he felt the bubbles/air as he was sucking on the line.

Having a quick chat to him he said he was a qualified diesel and petrol mechanic and cant find work, he has been unemployed for over two years. I was extremely grateful for his helped, thank him and he said no problem and walked off. What an experience.

Now, any idea what cuases air block in the fuel line that stips air getting into the carb?

Now, any idea what cuases air block in the fuel line that stips air getting into the carb?

Air leak in the line somewhere - replace all the rubber pipes and clips from the tank to the carb.

Before you have a leak and do a Tumbles on us.

Edit - I forgot - might be a small leak in the fuel pump too - but I would start with an inspection of the full line - a sucking leak is hard to find but you might see/smell damp petrol somewhere.

Edited by V12man