[Event] Carnival City Macsteel National Classic

Frosty

Enjoyed the MTB route, would look at this race as a fast flat race, nothing wrong with that.

Only suggestion as experienced at the start of the Mtb 60km. need more sound, which caused a mix up/confusion at the start.

Water points were fantastic, but then it was manned by DOC.

G

Let's get this thread back on track - we've dealt with the success and thanks, as well as the cheats. Please send us some areas for improvement.

• Full road closure is a dream, and it we can get this then it's a no brainer - we'll do it;
  • Vets 50+ being caught by the tandems (easy to fix, but let's hear it from the actual cyclists);
  • MTB route?
  • Costs - yes, we know it's high;
  • What else?

• Replies 764
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Let's get this thread back on track - we've dealt with the success and thanks, as well as the cheats. Please send us some areas for improvement.

• Full road closure is a dream, and it we can get this then it's a no brainer - we'll do it;
  • Vets 50+ being caught by the tandems (easy to fix, but let's hear it from the actual cyclists);
  • MTB route?
  • What else?
Your family fun & kiddies mnt bike ride on the Saturday is by far the best value kids/family ride out there. Having been searching for more and your entry fee for that is generally 1/2 of a few others I have found. I know it's not a big part of the wkd for you guys but for my kids it was a massive boost to them wanting to ride more and asking my wife & I when's the next one? And that's heartening that they want to get up early and go ride there bikes.

Really guys you need to get your kids there next year. It's a great starter .

As for the main race,I have no complaints at all. Everything ran like clockwork.

We mentioned to Carnival City that a number of parents weren't happy to leave their kids alone, while they race the road race, or even the MTB event.

They realised that we need to approach the kiddies ride a bit differently (especially the Sunday ride for kids). Watch this space next year.

• MTB route?
  • What else?

Entry delivery as opposed to pickup :)  You used to offer this.  Or just let me print a number -- especially if there isn't a goody bag anyway.

The MTB route split short/long in more than one place.

In at least one of those places there were marshalls shouting something like "short left, long right."  Despite their best efforts, it caused minor confusion.

Coloured arrows, or a big sign would've helped.

If you can't add technical terrain, lemme know, so I can try a cross bike.

The average speed of the group was well below expected.

Not sure if the increased distance had anything to do with it.

As always, we address this and other issues and put corrective actions in for next year.

Don't think its the extra distance, was just one of those days. Difficult for early break to get away and everyone knew the last 30km would be tough. I recon we needed 5-10mins max on the tandems.

Agree with what's already been said. I did the 60km MTB and the 103km road and, other than what you've already listed Gerald, I can't think of anything else. In fact, I would even go as far as to leave out that the cost is high. Maybe it is, but I relate everything to value and I feel got really good value for my money.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

For the MTB 30/60 split on the route - we had these made... the marshals were there to assist with the splits.

e262ac487a4df02668c585c74cf797f3.jpg

I don't think that would work. It's it takes a bit of effort, but it's easy to provide fictitious data.

Surely it won't work when selecting flyby and its easy enough to ask other riders. I was referring to podium places and not necessarily everyone although I'm sure that would also work quite well. I recall guys creating a segment for a shortcut and finding the culprits in a MTB race.

This race appears so well organised that I will definitely be doing this race next year, will be a good warm up for what will be my first 94.7, my girlfriend and her dad for that matter too!

Now we start hoping for less wind for next year! 

The average speed of the group was well below expected.

Not sure if the increased distance had anything to do with it.

As always, we address this and other issues and put corrective actions in for next year.

Lazy old men ????

hi gerald,

i for one would have no issue paying the asked entry. the product is imho the best organized, convenient, safe and well communicated event period. i would love to see a slightly more challenging route (ok, not the forsaken wind...) but if you guys don't have the fund, how could you provide the service?

Medals can also be different. We are now having 3x exactly the same medals between myself for the 103km Road race and my 2kids who did a 6km MTB race. Late entry for kids jumped from R40.00 to R90.00 was also steep.

• MTB route?
  • What else?

Hi Gerald,it was a well organised event

One minor thing I can mention since you are asking so nicely was the marshals instructing the VA group to turn off left from the route at some stage of the race,luckily a lot of the VA riders insisted on going straight ,and then waited for the brake away to catch up again who turned off route

I think the marshals had the 100km & 125km race routes mixed up?

Other then this ,a very good race