Which Tacx? iFlow or Satori? or is there something better?

The two models we're looking at: T2270 and T2400

I know jack pooh about these things so looking for some advice on which one to get. I literally picked these two as they fit the budget...

Both my wife and I will use it. We'll be rigging an old 26er permanently for IDT use for her and I will, for now, use my 29er DS (will be getting an extra wheel for trainer). I'm looking to get a roadbike next year sometime and will then be using that mostly for IDT.

Personally, I've spent zero minutes on an IDT... My wife's been playing with them at work and really enjoy the "game" element thereof - having the ability to race each other online; able to go ride a part of TDF etc. therefor a smart trainer (VR) is a must. Again; know nothing about this so need some pointers here please - I think both models we are looking at are VR trainers?

We'll be converting part of our study to permanently have this installed and then change out bikes as and when necessary. Will also install a TV on the wall.

So I guess criteria is:

• need to carry 26", 29er and eventually a road bike.
  • wife likes to play games so need to have proper software etc. and be connected.
  • for me playing games will make it more fun I guess, but proper training for when I can't hit the road is key.
  • I'm around 100kg at my heaviest during the depths of winter (don't know if trainers have a weight limit?)
  • budget: 6-8k
  • will be permanently installed so ease of set-up not a problem.

One last thing: where can we go test these out? I hate driving around looking for things so will be nice if someone can tell me who stocks them so we can just go try a few and see what it is like...

If you want to take a drive through to Pretoria at some stage, we have 4 TACX iVortex trainers set up in our studio - you are welcome to bring your bike and try one out to get a feel of what it's like to ride indoors.

Not for everyone, but it certainly works if you do it properly.

Having gone through this as well just now, here's my experience thus far with the Tacx Satori Smart T2400.

I imported mine from CRC and saved R1200 off the cheapest local price (sorry guys), so it meant I got most of the extra stuff I needed for 'free' (ANT+ stick, trainer tyre, wheel).

What you will need to get is an ANT+ USB Dongle, I was lucky and found an unused 2nd hand one for R350, but you can pay as much as R700 for a new one. Doesn't really matter which brand you get, they're all the same, some just have better range, but nothing a 3m USB cable extension can't fix. This dongle allows you to connect your trainer to a computer.

I've not actually started training with it proper, just been playing around a bit and it's a huge amount of fun. I've been using the trial version of Zwift and it's great. Takes the boredom out of sitting in your living room. For $10 a month I think it's totally worth it, and it offers structured training programmes as well.

The caveat of the Satori Smart is that it does not have a motor break and does not automatically control resistance, you still have a little lever that you use to increase the difficulty, however it doesn't matter too much with Zwift, as the software picks up your wattage output irrespective of the resistance level and adjusts your speed accordingly. So you can be klapping it at 110 cadence in a big gear, but putting out puny watts and you'll go slow on the game. So it's quite fun to actually put it on higher resistance when hitting a climb and then using your gears to manage the tempo.

The Tacx mobile software is also pretty cool, but note that you'll need a tablet/phone that has Bluetooth Smart, as I found out with my 4-year old Galaxy Tab not working with the trainer. There you can also make structured training programmes, or train according to watts/heartrate/simulated slope. Not the most fun, but it works.

I've yet to really sink my teeth into it, but it will make my training a lot easier with the limited time I have available. I won't spend long hours on this thing, that's for sure, I'd much rather actually be riding up a hill for 3 hours.

Anyways, this post is a mess, but feel free to ask any questions and I'll try to answer.

Edit: I don't think that the iFlow has the open ANT+ protocol and therefor isn't supported by 3rd Party software. I may be wrong.

Edited by bertusras

You can try my cyclops if you like - less trouble than a tacx for sure.

Are they not way more expensive than the Tacx models I mention? 

I have a Tacx. It's my second one. A Bushido I think it's called. Needs no power. Amazing. When it works.

And that's the problem. They have awful software. Worse support. I would not buy another one. Listen to V12

Cycleops Fluid2 for R5500, then use virtual power for Zwift, Trainerroad etc.Then just throw in a few Sufferfest videos and you will never be bored.

Don't think it that material when it doesn't work... although it is quite possible to use all the virtuall training features by using  a wheel/pedals with a power meter and an ordiinary trainer - the service from the local rep has been top notch.

https://www.bicyclepower.co.za/product/powersync/

is the one you want - chat to Dave, maybe he has a deal for you :)

Don't think it that material when it doesn't work... although it is quite possible to use all the virtuall training features by using  a wheel/pedals with a power meter and an ordiinary trainer - the service from the local rep has been top notch.

Comparing a R5500 trainer to a R15000 is hardly fair, is it?

They are, about R15k new. Obviously much better, but budget dictates.

I went for the Tacx Vortex Smart, as it was (still is, I think) the cheapest option that can be controlled by the software, and my budget also didn't stretch to the better ones. I have not had any problems with the software, and when I had a firmware issue they helped me fairly quickly, but from the number of complaints I guess your mileage may vary.

The Satori is probably the cheapest 'Smart' trainer available, but as mentioned it can't be controlled by the software.

You can achieve the same with another fairly decent trainer (like the one mentioned by Veebee), plus ANT+ or Bluetooth speed/cadence devices on your bike(s).

I also promised myself never a Tacx again. Lightning struck our house and both my trainers were toast. Insurers insist to replace with the same as what I had so was forced to go Tacx again. Got the Bushido and use it with Cycleops Virtual Trainer software. What a pleasure - no issues what so ever for the last six months.

Tacx Software - stay away if you don't want to get totally frustrated.

Edited by Broker

Comparing a R5500 trainer to a R15000 is hardly fair, is it?

What does fair have to do with the difference between well supported and substandard products?

The powersync does have a LOT of functions that the Satori does not have - and a price tag that matches - but at this level of trainer, one does not make price based decisions - first test, check, compare and then decide. cycleops have more price comparable products - if you want to compare based on price - not my job, that's for the OP.

(and at least 1 hubber has binned a virtual reality top of the line TACX... possibly more - #justsaying)

thanks chaps!

They are, about R15k new. Obviously much better, but budget dictates.

I went for the Tacx Vortex Smart, as it was (still is, I think) the cheapest option that can be controlled by the software, and my budget also didn't stretch to the better ones. I have not had any problems with the software, and when I had a firmware issue they helped me fairly quickly, but from the number of complaints I guess your mileage may vary.

The Satori is probably the cheapest 'Smart' trainer available, but as mentioned it can't be controlled by the software.

You can achieve the same with another fairly decent trainer (like the one mentioned by Veebee), plus ANT+ or Bluetooth speed/cadence devices on your bike(s).

yes I saw a Vortex Smart a little earlier in the Classifieds for R8.5k so well priced, I guess, in my limited experience with these things  :P

will have a look at it, thanks!

definitely don't want any hassles, so agree with you; happy to pay extra for something that works, AND someone to help for the odd occasion something goes wrong.

I also promised myself never a Tacx again. Lightning struck our house and both my trainers were toast. Insurers insist to replace with the same as what I had so was forced to go Tacx again. Got the Bushido and use it with Cycleops Virtual Trainer software. What a pleasure - no issues what so ever for the last six months.

Tacx Software - stay away if you don't want to get totally frustrated.

Also another option... however, does it require brain surgeon intelligence to make the soft- and hardware communicate properly?

I hate to battle with electric / electronic / computer things... Love to fiddle with mechanical things, but not so much things I can't see.

Also another option... however, does it require brain surgeon intelligence to make the soft- and hardware communicate properly?

I hate to battle with electric / electronic / computer things... Love to fiddle with mechanical things, but not so much things I can't see.

The great thing about the newer trainers and software is that you aren't locked in.

Don't like the Tacx software? Use Zwift. Or CycleOps. Or TrainerRoad. Or GoldenCheetah.

Both the Tacx and CycleOps software (on the PC and Android tablet) have been very easy to link my trainer, cadence pickup, and heart rate monitor to. No experience with the other software options