Which Tacx? iFlow or Satori? or is there something better?

What does fair have to do with the difference between well supported and substandard products?

The powersync does have a LOT of functions that the Satori does not have - and a price tag that matches - but at this level of trainer, one does not make price based decisions - first test, check, compare and then decide. cycleops have more price comparable products - if you want to compare based on price - not my job, that's for the OP.

(and at least 1 hubber has binned a virtual reality top of the line TACX... possibly more - #justsaying)

Yes, which is why I spent a lot of time reading up about it before I made my purchase. There are tons of happy T2400 owners, comparing it to the previous trainers is also not fair. I don't think anyone argues that the TT4S or whatever software is a total waste of time, but the new Smart trainers from Tacx are open protocol and you can use any other software you like.

Fact is, there is no other "smart" trainer in that price range.

Oh and lightning, what lightning, no power cord required.

That's my two cents, use it, don't use it. Obviously spending more money on an automatically controllable trainer would be great, but for R4229, it's going to be a tough sell to convince me otherwise.

will have a look at it, thanks!

definitely don't want any hassles, so agree with you; happy to pay extra for something that works, AND someone to help for the odd occasion something goes wrong.

then buy Cycleops.

Yes, which is why I spent a lot of time reading up about it before I made my purchase. There are tons of happy T2400 owners, comparing it to the previous trainers is also not fair. I don't think anyone argues that the TT4S or whatever software is a total waste of time, but the new Smart trainers from Tacx are open protocol and you can use any other software you like.

Fact is, there is no other "smart" trainer in that price range.

Oh and lightning, what lightning, no power cord required.

That's my two cents, use it, don't use it. Obviously spending more money on an automatically controllable trainer would be great, but for R4229, it's going to be a tough sell to convince me otherwise.

:) I can do everything the T2400 does on my old manual tacx - everything - using a power meter on my bike - just can't use the T2400 on the road like I can my powermeter.

Despite the fact that I do have a power meter (and do use it on the simple trainer) - I also have a Powerbeam Pro - and do use that as well - kind of depends what needs to be achieved, as as the OP asked for alternatives I gave him 2...

I don't believe that there is really a product that is perfect for everything - but if virtual racing is the name of the game, then the budget has to go up... I don't think the OP really knows the differnces yet - thus my offer to lend him one to play with so he can get an idea what the extra spend will buy him (or not as the case may be)

I am not that convinced that virtual racing against a wife might be a good idea.... :) best avoided in my case.

On the question of wheel sizes, I could be wrong but most of the newer trainers support will 26 inch, 29 inch and road bikes. Mine requires a bit of fiddling with an allen key - that would get annoying if you need to switch between your wife's and your bike regularly.

Especially if you forgot about it, you've got 3 minutes to join an online race, and you find you need to adjust it ;)

Also another option... however, does it require brain surgeon intelligence to make the soft- and hardware communicate properly?

I hate to battle with electric / electronic / computer things... Love to fiddle with mechanical things, but not so much things I can't see.

What took the longest was to put the Bushido together. If I remember about 1/2 an hour. To connect to computer is easy and quick. Plug in the Ant adapter, included in Tact Bushido package and pair the computer and trainer. Less than 15 minutes

It really is that simple. What took the longest was to download the software. I tried it with CVT, Zwift and Tacx software. Worked fine

I never use the virtual trainer component of my Tacx. I tried it but didn't like it. I sit and watch HR and watts and cadence. My philosophy on the trainer is basically if you can see you aren't hitting the numbers. Indoor trainer I use for intervals, very hard, or recovery when I just turn my legs and watch Netflix.

We each have our own way of doing things.

Hey guys just a heads up Cyclelab have a great promo going on this July, a PowerSync ANT+ or BLE bundle for just R15 495.00.

the bundle consists of 1 x PowerSync (ANT+ or BLE) 1 x Climbing Block, 1 x Training Mat, 1 x Universal Tablet Holder !!

the MSRP on the PowerSync is R14 995.00 so some great accessories for just R500 extra..... 

all the Cyclelab branches are well stocked if they have sold out we have stock to supply them, this combo deal is exclusive to Cyclelab. 

You can also look at a wahoo kikcr. You only have redo the support legs and the wheel size screw. Everything is done by hand and should you take less than 2 min.

The cheapest "Smart" trainer I've seen is the Tacx Vortex Smart T2180. I think they normally go for around R8.5k or so. It is one of the few Tacx models that was completely open, so worked with all the software mentioned before.

https://www.bikehub.co.za/classifieds/201484-tacx-vortex-smart-brand-new/

One of the BikeHub users bmw1za was looking to sell a Cycleops PowerBeam Pro fairly recently, it might be worth getting in touch with him.

Just take note that the Vortex is a light duty one. If you are near its limits sprints, 10 sec etc do not buy and if you do 3 hour ride in 1 go. I broke 2 in 5 weeks and was told that I must use a kickR or tacx neo. The supplier would not warrant another unit unless its a tacx neo.

Just saying.

I had my tacx Iflow for 3 or 4 years never had any problems until I bought the Vortex.

• 7 months later...

Is there a place where you can rent these to try them out?  Just worried about getting one and then after unpacking not clicking with it.

Archived