Polar V650 vs Garmin 520

Brian Campbell

Good day all,

I am Riding the Sani2C Next Year and need to buy an Bike GPS. I looked at the Polar V650 and the Garmin 520.

Apart from the Garmin advance wireless upload / Download and Price R7599 for being Lazy to plug inn an USB cable (Sorry no offence) and the Polar Battery Live only claims 10hrs, the Polar V650 seems to be my call.

Local Prises are topping the R4759 for the Polar V650, some one mentioned he Bought same for R3200. 

Please help me with info regarding a good price ?

compare_product1=83990&product.pdf

Garmin fitness_products_gps_bike_computers.pdf

prod_detail_fitness.pdf

Garmin 520 don't have wireless upload, only if you sync via Bluetooth.

NO wifi auto upload....rather wait for the new EDGE 820

I have the 510 and have a few other Polar devices (but not the v650).  For me the Garmin just syncs easier both with Garmin connect and Strava.  My Polar activities sometimes takes up to a day to show up on Strava, while the Garmin activities are on immediately.  I am not a Strava addict but do use it as its one place where i can sync all my different devices to that's central. In general I have had less hassles with my Garmin than with my Polar devices (not that I have had any major hassles with Polar, though there have been a few small niggles whilst my experience with the Garmin has been flawless so far).

I have both. Use only the 520. V650 nearly brand new (after a year of never using it). It made me swear more than the Bulls. I will sell you mine at a good discount.....

If you have a friend/family coming from the UK look at CRC they are selling the Polar V650 with heart rate monitor for R3,000.  I ordered one this morning.

I've had both and must say the Garmin wins hands down.

On the bike, the functionality is very similar yes, but off the bike there is no comparison. When I stop at home with the Garmin it takes about 5 seconds to upload to Garmin Connect which then sends it to Strava, Traininpeaks, Discovery etc.

With the polar you have to plug it in and hope the polar software picks up the unit within the next hour or two. Then to get the ride onto any other platform you have to go and download the file and manually upload there. The polar software is very shocking IMHO.

I hated every minute of the Polar V650 in my house and sold 2 units(won at Sani2C) after 1 ride.

If you like banging your head against a brick wall in frustration, go with the Polar. Otherwise its a no brainer

Thank You 4 out of 5 posts prefers Garmin within 40min. seems like the flavour of the Year.

price is R 1705 more, but investing in a toy needs all opinions.

thanks.

South Africa

Nelspruit

I stop my ride at the front gate of the garden. Open the garmin connect app on my phone and by the time (maybe 30 seconds) I reach the front door, the ride has synced and is on garmin connect, strava and myfitnesspal. Absolutely no drama

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

just bought a 520 with a little bargaining for R6000 brand new...shop around you can get them for R6200 without bargaining.

I have the polar v650. Sync wireless with my phone to strava and polar. Havent had any problems.

I have the polar v650. Sync wireless with my phone to strava and polar. Havent had any problems.

Very happy with my V650. No problems and doesn't look like an '80's Tamagotchi.

Great colour screen.

Connects within seconds to gps and bluetooth HR.

Recent software upgrades includes full route navigation.

My first V650 did not work at all .Polar gave me new one .works well but cannot connect to polar flow for some reason .Garmin fenix 3 works great 

Archived