Oils for lowers service

NicoBoshoff

Sram butter is fine but if the fork is new and they warranty it and find the synthetic oil in side you can kiss the warranty goodbye

The oil will work fine tho, I'd recommend motorex supergliss tho

Where can we find that locally? I asked someone who has a contact at Motorex locally once and they could only source it in 210 litre barrels

Yup. Fork is under warranty. 

For the price of the oil I could send the damn thing in to get the lowers serviced but how do I know it gets the right oil or if I'm going to get it back in time. 

Thanks for the feedback.

Fox Gold oil maybe? Used it on all my forks (Fox and RS) with no complaints

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Where can we find that locally? I asked someone who has a contact at Motorex locally once and they could only source it in 210 litre barrels

Fox Gold oil maybe? Used it on all my forks (Fox and RS) with no complaints

I've also heard it's not being brought in in small quantities anymore so if you can find a shop with 5L it might be worth it to have ot couriered

That said I o ly use it as a substitute for 20wt gold which is the best lowers fluid imo

And its also in all my forks, fox and rockshox

This is true, but all cycling stuff is expensive. Rather use the good fluids and lubricants for an expensive thing like a fork IMO, or you'll end up paying much more later on

I hate having to pay R650 for such a bug bottle of oil. 1L is ridiculous. Why not sell a 150ml which is 15 lower service. 

I guess when I look at the R18k fork on the front of my bike then R800 for all the bits to do the lowers service is affordable. 

I'll decant in 100ml containers and resell if anyone is interested. R80 per 100ml is fair I think including container. 

So I did some online research. Found the Fox gold oil is a synthetic oil with a viscosity rating of 100 at 40C. Looked around and found that Motul Transoil Expert 10w40 matches almost exactly in terms of that spec. Can be had for R150 a litre. Maybe @Droo can chime in if it would be a good substitute for lower leg lube

Transoil Expert 10W-40 - Motul

https://d23zpyj32c5wn3.cloudfront.net/images/product_descriptions/technical_data_sheets/83381/Transoil_Expert_10W-40_%28GB%29.pdf?1503626732

Always used their oils in my KTM dirt bike motors, forks and shock with zero issues

I hate having to pay R650 for such a bug bottle of oil. 1L is ridiculous. Why not sell a 150ml which is 15 lower service. 

I guess when I look at the R18k fork on the front of my bike then R800 for all the bits to do the lowers service is affordable. 

I'll decant in 100ml containers and resell if anyone is interested. R80 per 100ml is fair I think including container. 

Caltex Havoline Ultra S 5W40 is available in 500ml pack size.

That's the smallest pack size you be able to buy unless you're after brake fluid....

So I did some online research. Found the Fox gold oil is a synthetic oil with a viscosity rating of 100 at 40C. Looked around and found that Motul Transoil Expert 10w40 matches almost exactly in terms of that spec. Can be had for R150 a litre. Maybe @Droo can chime in if it would be a good substitute for lower leg lube

Transoil Expert 10W-40 - Motul

https://d23zpyj32c5wn3.cloudfront.net/images/product_descriptions/technical_data_sheets/83381/Transoil_Expert_10W-40_%28GB%29.pdf?1503626732

Always used their oils in my KTM dirt bike motors, forks and shock with zero issues

The Motul product is formulated for Wet clutch gearboxes. it should provide higher anti friction properties. It won't see high enough shear to be a problem in a MTB fork.

RSP are now also making consumer-sized oils which we'll be stocking in the next week or 2. They have a version for Fox, RS and a few for Lefty as well.

Will get in touch for the Fox oils for the 34 Rhythm.

Will get in touch for the Fox oils for the 34 Rhythm.

If it has the grip damper you need two oils

20wt gold in the air side and Teflon infused 5wt in the damper

Damper rebleeds it self constantly so the damper oil is also used as the lube

Hoe lank kan jy nog wag voor die diens. Ek het Rocksox olie maar gaan more op vakansie vir 10 dae. Jy is welkom om te kom kry as ek terug kom.

Hoe lank kan jy nog wag voor die diens. Ek het Rocksox olie maar gaan more op vakansie vir 10 dae. Jy is welkom om te kom kry as ek terug kom.

Damnit. Ek het klaar bestel vandag. Ses en n half blou Mandelas wat ek nie weer gaan sien nie.

Thanks vir die offer meneer.

Damnit. Ek het klaar bestel vandag. Ses en n half blou Mandelas wat ek nie weer gaan sien nie.

Thanks vir die offer meneer.

Sorry dude sien nou eers die post.