PWC Ripoff

gerryonimo

Paid a visit to PWC Bike Park with my son this morning! We haven't ridden there for awhile and where looking forward to a good 30km+ ride with a few loops of the Blue route! Only to be told that the tracks on the other side of the highway were closed!

I enquired why and since when they had been closed, the answer was for repair work and since this morning until the end of August! It begs the question why close on a public holiday when working people have the time to ride with their families? I was told we only had to pay half price which was R50 for me and R30 for my son ( hardly half price as the normal fee is R70 & R50, which I think is a little steep!) So with most of the good riding on the tracks on the other side of the highway we were extremely disappointed to ride the limited tracks around the entrance area!

And to add insult to injury when we had finished our ride they on had two tables on the deck public area, which where occupied, for seating to enjoy a coffee and a snack!

Needless to say we left and went else where, which is exactly what we will do in future for our riding! Big Red Barn or Modders for that price offer far more value for money with ample options to enjoy post riding refreshments!

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It seems we're spoilt here in Durban, I pay R70 a month for 24/7 access to our bike park. There is an awesome bike shop on site and they are always building new trails.

Existing trails are fairly well maintained and there is always a cold beer at the restaurant when you arrive back at the car park.

Well done to them for both informing you about it up front and giving discounted rates in return for the limited riding area! What else do you want them to do while they close tracks for maintenance - surely you're glad they are actually doing proper maintenance? I would also be disappointed to go somewhere to ride and find it's (partially) closed, but I don't really agree that anyone is to blame for it or that it warrants a rant online. 

Maybe a simple post informing people so they don't make the same mistake in the next 3 weeks would be more appropriate?

Just my 2 cents...

A big postive for them doing maintenance but i would think that could have been done on another day as the public holidays is when people like to get out and ride and have a family day.

I would also have been annoyed if i rocked up there and half the place was closed with little place to chill afterwards.

Regarding the price, its hefty but i dont ride there at all (rode there a good few years back) so i cant comment on the value received.

I ride alot at Thaba and buy a 10 ride ticket for R300 and the trails are amazing and well maintained that cater for everyone and there is wilflife to view on your ride.

wolwe spruit also awesome for just 30 bucks....but if you went to pwc,wolwe spruit is probs a little far for you.

The prices are just to high for me and I'm anyway very far from there , so I can't really make comments.

sorry for the poor day out :thumbdown:

Pity....it used to be a place where you can blast some flowly section together but recently they have dumb down the trails(with good reason) and focused their attention on their primary source of income....kiddies bday parties.

Is what it is. 

I am starting to realise how lucky I am.  We have so much forested areas here and it will take me a good couple of years to find all the tracks without it costing me a cent.

I am starting to realise how lucky I am.  We have so much forested areas here and it will take me a good couple of years to find all the tracks without it costing me a cent.

to be fair...so does jozi....there are ample venues(spruit / VG / haka / NF / west rand rumble / Thaba / rietvlei / modderfontein ) and if fit enough you can ride to all of them from your house. We might not have the lekker gravity sections like the weepee okes but there is LOTS of places to ride....

The OP is trying to make PWC(kiddies bday venue) something its not(mtb trails)

Without our 'rants' online informing riders about what is actually happening at places like this, more and more of us would be ripped off! Perhaps a notification on the Hub, or even a sign at the entrance before you go in and pay your money only to be told, oh sorry most of the tracks are closed, would have been fair!

I agree maintenance needs to be done but why start on a public holiday! The limited tracks we where left with to ride do not warrant the amount paid.

As rouxtjie says they should concentrate on kiddies parties because they won't be seeing us again!

to be fair...so does jozi....there are ample venues(spruit / VG / haka / NF / west rand rumble / Thaba / rietvlei / modderfontein ) and if fit enough you can ride to all of them from your house. We might not have the lekker gravity sections like the weepee okes but there is LOTS of places to ride....

The OP is trying to make PWC(kiddies bday venue) something its not(mtb trails)

True.  I was just not aware of the costs on some of these trails.  I only bought a MTB soon after I arrived here in Germany as where I live is more a MTB area than roadie area.  And I bought my MTB mainly for bad/wet weather cycling to work.  But then that is how cycling started for me. Bought my roadbike with the aim to start commuting to work.  Now that I have experienced riding some trails and in the Alps I am also hooked on the MTB thing.  (Still lack the skills to go downhill at a propper speed on dirt road :ph34r: )

Definitely not the cheapest park around, but take R30+ petrol off your bill for the locals and it's still a helluva attractive option. It also sure kicks the pants off taking the kids to a movie at well over double the price... man the trails are lekker for the little ones!

And yeah, the spruit is pretty bloody awesome and free  :thumbup:

OP, I guess people's interpretation of "being ripped off" differs. Looking at how you describe the scenario, you were familiar with the section of trail that was closed, yet you decided to pay a discounted price for a lesser offering, and now want to complain about it. If you were not told and were expected to pay full price, your view might have been shared by more folk here.

I agree that they should communicate trail closures better. I had a quick look on their Facebook page and website, and it would have been a simple thing to do, and if I was complaining, this would have been my focus point as we all agree that maintenance is necessary to keep facilities functional and desirable to users.

Try and be constructive with your rants in future. They may be better received by the community.

I think you should change your title. You are actually referring to the bike park that you believe is a rip off.

Your title suggests that PwC, the professional services company is ripping you off.

Archived