Bike Check: Alan Hatherly's Olympic Giant Anthem

Nick

Apologies if I've been living in a cave and not keeping up to date with the local XCO scene, but who is Alan Hatherly and when did he arrive on the scene? What happened to the likes of Phil Buys, Max Knox and those okes?

You are not off sides TBH, you just asked a question.

He is obviously an up and coming young guy and will not be as well known as the names that have been around for much longer.

Who are the currrent top 5 MTB XCO guys in the country as a point of interest?

Edited by Patchelicious

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Apologies if I've been living in a cave and not keeping up to date with the local XCO scene, but who is Alan Hatherly and when did he arrive on the scene? What happened to the likes of Phil Buys, Max Knox and those okes?

He's a really, really talented rider. Better than those okes at the moment and has performed brilliantly in the local series, as Karma has pointed out. Deserves to be there, he does. 

This being of particular importance...

"20-year old Hatherly will be competing in the Pro Elite Men’s Cross Country Mountain Bike race on Sunday, 21 August 2016. Hatherly is currently ranked 10th U23 Men in the world and achieved a 17th position finish (U23 Men) in the recent UCI MTB World Championships in Nove Mesto, Czech Republic."

To do that, you have to be FLIPPIN quick. 

You are not off sides TBH, you just asked a question.

He is obviously an up and coming young guy and will not be as well known as the names that have been around for much longer.

Who are the currrent top 5 MTB XCO guys in the country as a point of interest?

Mmmh, can't find the XCO Rankings anywhere, Marathon is a different list...

https://www.saseeding.org/participants/ranking

neither of the XCO boys are in the top 10 according to that.

Well it's impressive if he's only 20 yrs old and beating the likes of the other better known guys in SA. Let's hope he has a solid race at the Olympics, and maybe in future he'll be up there challenging for medals!

This being of particular importance...

"20-year old Hatherly will be competing in the Pro Elite Men’s Cross Country Mountain Bike race on Sunday, 21 August 2016. Hatherly is currently ranked 10th U23 Men in the world and achieved a 17th position finish (U23 Men) in the recent UCI MTB World Championships in Nove Mesto, Czech Republic."

To do that, you have to be FLIPPIN quick. 

I'm watching this race to see the showdown between Gaze, Andreassen and Hatherley, should be good.

I'm watching this race to see the showdown between Gaze, Andreassen and Hatherley, should be good.

Its certainly going to be a good race, however I personally think Gaze will be mixing it up with the likes of Schurter, Absalon and Kulhavy at the front and Andreassen, Hatherly and Reid will be mixing it out for the top 15. 

One thing is for sure. This is one of the most highly anticipated races of the past 4 years! Having Sagan there is also killer for the sport. 

Nice paint job to be covered in duct tape come race day.

Im sure there's too may logos there?

Otherwise I like the paint job better now that I am seeing close up pics.

snip

We rather bash, comment, cyber bully and be stupid about things. When did we as people become so feeble minded that we can't see the good in something and just wish everyone the best for achieving what they have achieved? What will you and I be doing this weekend when that guy is representing his country at the Ofreakinglympics?

I'm not sure thats what happened here dude.

There was a punny made about Epics, a comment about vertical shocks, something about tyres, compliments on the spray job, question about sponsor logos (this probably more inline with the stupid Olympics rules), a sincere question about the rider, a comment about Giant vs the competition and something about 29ers.

Nowhere was there bashing or cyber bullying about the rider AT ALL???

I think everybody is supportive of him and will be cheering him on.

As for what I will be doing this weekend? I will be sitting on couch, beer in hand, mouth full of Pringles shouting at the cyclist to HTFU and to stop riding like pussies! ;)

Relative to the pivots, yes of course, but simply stating that a horizontal shock is inferior to a vertical shock position seems to be the train of thought amongst some. 

It seems to be, but there is no truth in it. No question. There was debate on the James Reid bike check thread, but it's one guy who has been going around bashing all bikes in favour of the Silverback Sesta. (Which is a great bike, but bashing something just cause you have a favourite is a bit silly)