Should I buy momsen al529

Jackyvr

Hi.

I have been cycling(mtb) since February. I bought a schwinn moab3 secondhand just to see if this cycling thing is for me. Enjoying it so far and have an itch to buy a new bike. I live in the countryside and not near a decent cycle shop, so I would like a few suggestions or opinions before I decide what and if I should buy.

The moab is a 27speed, air shock with remote lockout, hydraulic brakes, alivio front and deore rear derailleurs.

I can get a new momsen al529 for R21000. Now my question is, will I notice a difference between the bikes and is there maybe another bike in that price range I should be looking at?

Have done some googling and can't find a review for the momsen.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Hi Jacky, do you perhaps know what year midel that Al529 is? If I'm not mistaken the Al model range doesn't go up that high anymore(in numerical terms not spec). It might be older stock from a previous year.

I was looking at buying a Al629 in 2014,it was the highest spec Alu model and sold for R18k-R19k back then. The Al529 was around R15k at the time.

Just make sure of year model and spec and maybe have a look around at similar spec bikes.

Sent from my S40 using Tapatalk

Bought mine in 2014 for R12 000. Sold it yesterday for R6500. Very nice bike, BUT R21 000 is a lot of money. I wont pay that

The Merida Big9 XT Edition for R18k looks pretty solid.

Funnliy enough I was thinking the exact same thing. Really not a bad deal, XT through the bank...personally I would go for that.

I think R21k is pretty steep, unless it has non standard parts on it.

Boughtt mine with ztr crest rims and rockshox reba, ritchey stem and bars so pretty good components on there. Crests with stans hubs go for about R6500 and the reba another R4500+

If it is a 2016 Momsen AL529, it comes with shimano xt 8000 groupset, ztr rapid rims on shimano deore hubs, deore brakes and rock shox reba rl with sprint lockout.

On Momsen website retail R26 000, then R21 does not sound to bad.

Compare spec for spec with Merida xt, then decide.

Yes you will notice a difference on either bike!

Edited by DJuice

As soon as you know the answer, they change the question. Lol. It is the 2016 momsen. Will try to compare tonight. This must be a noob question, but is deore xt and xt the same?

Jip, same thing Jacky. Group-sets are a bit of a mystery to figure out naming wise when you start getting into mountain biking! This image may help:

_6583478.png

Thanks for posting this - very useful!

Thanks, that is pretty helpfull. I just had a quick look at the merida and momsen and the main difference seem to be the cassette and chainwheel.

Momsen has the xt m8000 36/26t chainwheel and m8000 11-40t cassette, while merida has the deore xt 40/30/22 chainwheel and cassette.

Which one should be better in the long run? Sorry for all the questions, but it is alot of money to spend and would like to make the best informed decision I can.

Do not want to confuse you.

Both are great bikes.

I ride a Momsen myself, but lately Merida is good value for money, and getting my attention.

Perhaps Merida is giving good prices to get market share.

Then again,there was a Vipa AC in the classifieds, other option is to wait a month or so longer for 2017 bikes to launch.

Do not know exactly where you are in the Northern Cape but both Kimberley and Upington has good shops.

Goodluck with your bike purchase.