I sure PPA would try and argue that these events are too small and attract far less numbers of cyclist compared to PPA Road event. This is true. But these events are so much bigger than PPA MTB events which by results more often than not only have about 100 timed cyclist on the results - This timing cost R10 k i.e. R100 per rider to time. How were / are they able to afford this?  The road members and the Cape Town cycle tour.

PPA does their bit to contribute to mtb'ing but in the larger scheme of things mtb'ing dont need PPA to survive - a lot of trails were/are built without PPA's help and most mtb events are run without PPA's involvement.

Too early to make predictions like this but it would be sad if in the long run PPA becomes an organisation focusing on the Cycle Tour & social projects with the bulk of road events being run without their involvement. 

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What you say is EXACTLY what is feared, PPA is trying to be bigger in MTB where it's not really needed as their are many commercial opportunities and as a result lots of races to choose from.

The lack of road activity reflects the negative attitude of the management team at PPA towards actually having to do some hard work and NEGOTIATE with local authorities to get access to roads. So much easier to chuck cash at trails and claim you are doing a great job. 2,500 less paid up members show a different story.

Ironically Alan Winde, Bev Schafer and David Grant are all very sympathetic towards cycling as both a tourist generator and a means of transport. I wonder when last PPA management engaged with these 3 to use their influence to help get access to the South Peninsula?

Instead of doing this, a half-tonner and another gets tacked onto the one-tonner, so we have 2 new races on the calendar.  Oh yes, and a hill climb.

It's all such a pity that such a rich events calendar has been annihilated in such a short time.

Not directed at anyone, but just a question to find out what others think:

Is the growth of mtb perhaps because people feel safer off the road? Or another way of asking: Are more people avoiding road because it is perceived as dangerous?

We read about cyclists getting killed on the road all the time and I know that I had to think very hard when it was time to introduce my own kids to road riding. I made the choice, and I introduced them to it through all the PPA Sunday road rides, because I felt it was safer than riding on our own out there without marshals and many fellow riders. I know some schools are very keen to offer mountain biking as a sport, but not willing to take the responsibility of looking after youngsters on the road. Is the next generation of SA cyclists going to be mtbikers because of it? 

So, although I'm not at the front end of road racing, I also want more PPA road races, preferably around the peninsula. 

DJR

Yes, road safety is a big factor as I perceive several of my fellow roadies opting to buy dirt bikes and spending far more time on the brown stuff.

Me too.

My reason is primarily to vary my rolling experience. Subconsciously, I reckon that my safety is a driver too (pun intended)

DJR

Yes, road safety is a big factor as I perceive several of my fellow roadies opting to buy dirt bikes and spending far more time on the brown stuff.

Me too.

My reason is primarily to vary my rolling experience. Subconsciously, I reckon that my safety is a driver too (pun intended)

DITTO.

I know some schools are very keen to offer mountain biking as a sport, but not willing to take the responsibility of looking after youngsters on the road. Is the next generation of SA cyclists going to be mtbikers because of it? 

Now there is a sobering thought, would not be particularly keen for my kids to take up road cycling over mtb'ing...

Me - I'm certainly spending far less time training on the road bike than I used to, Picking my training times & routes far more carefully. Not consciously cutting down on events but they are disappearing on their own anyway.

Is the growth of mtb perhaps because people feel safer off the road? Or another way of asking: Are more people avoiding road because it is perceived as dangerous?

Exactly!

More than this, the CTCT is not a "road" event, at least not for about two thirds of the field who make up the fun riders who don't get to start until after the winner has finished. Rather they are just "cyclists", many of them are there because they can ride the best roads in the peninsular without ANY cars! They would not be interested in racing "Roadie" events with limited road closures.

The biggest challenge in cycling, is access to safe space to cycle. Be it roadies, commuters or MTB. So far mountain bikers are having more luck than the others. That's why I ride a dual suspension so I can cycle where there are no cars. But I ride DS in the CTCT, cause I am scared to buy a road bike. I use it for commuting, as it makes riding on the pavement an option - where it is safer.

Remember the first Cycle Tour was a protest ride, protesting for space for cyclists. The PPA was born out of that movement. I will be at the AGM to vote, but I have no idea who will best represents my objectives...

i think safety on the road is not the issue judging by the amount of mtb's on the road just this weekend. i rode to St'bosch on the Saturday and Hout Bay on Sunday - groups / club rides are bigger though - makes one think - next theses groups will have following vehicles - just to make it even more safer.

Remember the first Cycle Tour was a protest ride, protesting for space for cyclists. The PPA was born out of that movement. I will be at the AGM to vote, but I have no idea who will best represents my objectives...

40 years ago their were no MTB bikes in RSA - you are a 100% right it was a protest ride - to show / gain awareness for road cyclist be them commuters or sport cyclist.

For PPA to be redirecting income generated from Cape Town cycle tour to MTB trail instead of using these fund for to ensure better road to cycle on (be it canvasing gov etc) is fundamentally mis - appropriating fund.

Our road need work for them to be safe to cycle on. The cycle path need work to make them suitable for all - even the current ones under construction in Constantia / Kedal road and Firgrove way are not suitable for all but a few design changes would make them suitable for all - but PPA seems more interested in MTB trails than government funded cycle paths. As per my post earlier in this track - letter sent to PPA page 10.

I know very little about this, so did some quick digging. not pointing fingers, but since there is so much being accused here thought I'd try educate myself on the facts behind the rumours.

http://www.pedalpower.org.za/committee/

http://www.smoothknobblies.com/2016/01/the-smooth-knobblies-annual-cycling-challenge-aka-the-skacc/

http://www.tablemountainbikers.co.za/become-a-member/

I don't quite get how someone can 'own a club'. This is not british football (or is it?!)

I find three okes in common there, not exactly a majority. maybe there are more.

Yeah, Table Mountain Bikers. Rob's club. 

The current Exco is dominated by members of one 'club', The Smooth Knobblies and has been for the past few years. It's not healthy that a grouping of friends band together control an association that used to have 20K+ members but now has less than 15K members. Clearly bike riders are voting with their feet and leaving the PPA as it only serves a small interest group with all the cash it receives from the biggest timed road event in the world.

That's why every person interested in road riding needs to attend the AGM and vote for a candidate that is not part of the Smooth Knobblies or Table Mountain clique.

looks like there will be a vote this year - as from the info I have received there are at least 9 nominations and only 6 places on the committee!

looks like there will be a vote this year - as from the info I have received there are at least 9 nominations and only 6 places on the committee!

By when will we know who the nominees are?

Are they allow to lobby/solicit votes? If so, I want a food parcel and a t-shirt :whistling:

By when will we know who the nominees are?

Are they allow to lobby/solicit votes? If so, I want UPGRADE BIKE PARTS a food parcel and a t-shirt :whistling:

:D Fixed it for you! :whistling:

I hope a PPA member at the AGM calls or a vote of no confidence in the full committee. I think the case has become stronger now that only 2 of the 6 current committee members are still willing to stands - show that PPA committee has gone astray. Not too mention the PPA membership is apparently still a couple of thousand down.

The reason for the constitution been changed a few years back to only 6 been re elected every 2 years was due to the fact that PPA had a large sum of cash. this is no longer the case as the large sum of cash is now at arms length to the committee and in the PPA trust. Thus there is no reason for the full committee not been up for re election. The constitution ideally should be changed back to what is was.

If this should happen then the vote should be done at a later date along with a new list of nominations by the members at that time.

Hi Icycling

The reason for only replacing half the committee at a time is simple: It ensures continuity!

Which is a good thing for ANY organization that wants to keep on functioning in a stable fashion in the long term! Smart corporates plan for it! Imagine a new incoming committee without a single person with knowledge of how the organization works! Chaos! It would mean starting from scratch every time, getting up to speed, and then putting on the hand brake as soon as you are rolling smoothly. I know you favour a total revamp, but that may not be good for the long term health of the organization.

I don't think there is any terrible conspiracy re. the money! It is there, invested wisely, to be used for proper cycling things. We may disagree on how or how much to spend and on what to spend, how much to keep in reserve, but every cent is accounted for and the PPA financials are open for all to see.

That may be exactly what is needed for long term financial stability of the PPA. It may also be that spending some of that nest egg now, may help to grow the PPA and ensure its long term stability. That will be for those on the board to decide. Right or wrong, we'll see in a decade or two.

But up to this point, talking of mis-appropriation of funds is unsubstantiated. Unless you have proof of a crime. Which you should share. 

Hi Icycling

The reason for only replacing half the committee at a time is simple: It ensures continuity!

Which is a good thing for ANY organization that wants to keep on functioning in a stable fashion in the long term! Smart corporates plan for it! Imagine a new incoming committee without a single person with knowledge of how the organization works! Chaos! It would mean starting from scratch every time, getting up to speed, and then putting on the hand brake as soon as you are rolling smoothly. I know you favour a total revamp, but that may not be good for the long term health of the organization.

I don't think there is any terrible conspiracy re. the money! It is there, invested wisely, to be used for proper cycling things. We may disagree on how or how much to spend and on what to spend, how much to keep in reserve, but every cent is accounted for and the PPA financials are open for all to see.

That may be exactly what is needed for long term financial stability of the PPA. It may also be that spending some of that nest egg now, may help to grow the PPA and ensure its long term stability. That will be for those on the board to decide. Right or wrong, we'll see in a decade or two.

But up to this point, talking of mis-appropriation of funds is unsubstantiated. Unless you have proof of a crime. Which you should share. 

I am sure "good" committee members who stand again will get the votes from the members to remain on the committee. For about 30 to 35 years each year the full committee was up for re election did if ever happen that there was a full new committee of 12. Its only in the past 5 to 10 years this has changed off the top of my head. In the early days of PPA that was before staff were employed who basically now keep the continuity!

Archived