First Ride: SRAM Eagle XX1

Iwan Kemp

I am really wondering how many people can afford it at that price point - and that brings me to the question of how expensive cycling is. I think a large contribution to this is that cycling is a "PARTS" business.

Frame

brakes

groupset

tryes

and one can mix and match as you want , but this makes it expensive as the complete bike is mostly put together by expensive parts and every "parts" manufaturer wants their profit.

A motorcycle is also parts put together but is mostly sold to the consumer as one article and yes you can change the parts but in general its bought as a single unit from one manufacturer.

The industry has trained us to be willing to pay for expensive parts - what is so much different from the XX1 to the Eagle that makes it WAY more expensive , one more casette ring ? I like the idea , but I am not willing to spend that much money on consumables

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So after 5 years at last a 1x system offers the range of a 2x system but at what cost?

This review is incomplete with no mention of what it's like to have an 8 tooth ramp between the 42t and 50t cogs and before that the 6 tooth ramp from 36t to 42t.  This is one of the most obvious and serious shortcomings of any 1x system and too often I hear of riders complaining of being between gears.

To be fair to the reviewer it does  say "First Ride" and "Three days with a whole new drivetrain does not equal a full review in our eyes." ;)

To understand and really feel the impact of that jump you need to ride seriously varying terrain. If the terrain is very steep the jump may not feel that big as chances are the terrain requires it. Unless you're very fit and / or strong. Maybe even not. If you're unfit and or tired the 50T will be heaven regardless of how big the jump is. Then again if the terrain is less steep and you only need or want a bit of a break for your legs then the jump may feel big. So it depends. On you, on me, on the terrain, on the time of day even. 

a rhetorical question; did Nino use his 12th gear a single time..... the entire season.....

(ps- its not to compare any of us (the peeps I know anyway) to his caliber, more a reference to commerce in general, let the worlds best roll and swear by it.... yet they don't actually even use its supposed added benefit.

Saw this groupset being fitted to a bike at my Lbs today. Must say it looks quite the part in the flesh.

It gives a real clean look to the bike as all 1 × systems do, and the Gold cassette and chain looks awesome.

Even though the top and bottom gear supposedly gives you the same range as a 2 x10 system I think it will have gaps between gears somewhere as mentioned by someone else previously.

On the weigh saving front it ain't so big either, the bike was equipped with older XTR 3×10 and by moving to the 1×12 XX1 Eagle managed to lose only about 200 grams.

IMHO this groupset is not suitable for everyone, I would stick with 2×10 or move to 2×11 for marathon riding.I think this system will be more suitable for trail or XC type riding.

Just my 2 c

Sent from my S40 using Tapatalk

So after 5 years at last a 1x system offers the range of a 2x system but at what cost?

This review is incomplete with no mention of what it's like to have an 8 tooth ramp between the 42t and 50t cogs and before that the 6 tooth ramp from 36t to 42t. This is one of the most obvious and serious shortcomings of any 1x system and too often I hear of riders complaining of being between gears.

Yep....gear gaps but 1x has so many advantages and some newer frames give you no option.

It can't be all that hard to make a 2x or 3x rear hub 'transfer box' . This would be a planetary gearbox/freehub combo that would replace the freehub and sit inside the space under the cassette so it can retrofit to existing hubs and wheel standards. Obviously it would be larger diameter than existing freehubs. If one of the ratios is an overdrive, this removes the need for small, inefficient, fast wearing cogs in the 10t to 15t range and frees up some space under the cassette for the mechanism.

A second actuating cable would likely be needed but so what.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Not that I could afford the Eagle. However being on 1x10 and 1x11 since 3 years it works well for me for so many reasons. Maybe I am not sensitve but the 'gear gaps' are not bothersome if even noticeable. Top and bottom end is somewhat compromised, either the one or the other.

Eagle solves this problem. That is quite cool.

Not that I could afford the Eagle. However being on 1x10 and 1x11 since 3 years it works well for me for so many reasons. Maybe I am not sensitve but the 'gear gaps' are not bothersome if even noticeable. Top and bottom end is somewhat compromised, either the one or the other.

also been riding 1x11 for 2 years now and really like the idea of the 1x12 , but my wallet does not

also been riding 1x11 for 2 years now and really like the idea of the 1x12 , but my wallet does not

I looked at the upgrade. When the XX1 cassette is worn out it will not make that big a difference to go to Eagle. Same for the chain. Then factor in the 2nd hand recovery for derailleur and shifter and the investment cost should come down to less than R3000 (accepting the cassette and chain as wear and maintenance).

...Having said all this, MTB is still the most expensive sport I ever started... But probably not worse than skydiving, scuba diving, horse riding, motorbikes (add in fuel, spares and replacement limbs)...;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eagle is suppose to solve the problem of loss of either top end speed or bottom end power on a 1x system, whether that is the case only time will tell.

Edit:spelling

Sent from my S40 using Tapatalk

Edited by BenReaper

• 2 weeks later...

It definitely seems the way to go if you want 1x.  The range is awesome, and it sounds as if SRAM's made some serious improvements overall.  Looks pretty neat as well (except that the gold will attract so much attention in SA that you'd probably only have it for max 5 rides before being dispossessed...)

The problem is the cost - pricey!

Maybe in two or three years I'll move from my 2x (XO which serves me perfectly) but until then will save my hard earned cash for road trips.