Riding at Suikerbosrand?

Matuka

Probably a dumb question but how does riding SBR (one lap) compare to the 947? Obviously its much shorter but if you're able to ride SBR is the 947 doable? First timer here so I'm just interested to hear.

The old course for the 94 you could add about 30 min to your SBR time to approx your 94 time as long as your SBR time was between 2:15 and 2:45. Last years route add about 35 minutes. Not sure what it will be like for this years route.

• Replies 659
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In my opinion SBR is tougher although it is a shorter distance. Almost the same amount of climbing as 947 but in a shorter distance.

I did my first 947 in 2014 on my  MTB (10 speed)  and found it tough so decided in 2015 to do it on a road bike(8 speed) which i borrowed from a friend. 

Did SBR for the first time in 2015 as training for 947 using the road bike and i struggled , couldn't do the last big climb due to cramps.

I was worried i would struggle with the road bike at 947 but ended up improving my time by half hour.

Went back to SBR , this time with the MTB ,and finished it . The extra gears definitely helped me.

If you can do SBR you should be able to do 947. 

In December 2015, I caught the animals crossing from the ridge to the plains, after the climb from the dam.  Had to even stop when a herd of Zebra were crossing the road.  Nothing better.  Happened 3 times out of the 4 rides I did in December.

Saw a jackal in there a couple of weeks back and met a hartebeest in the road a while ago.  Funny one was when a snake reared up off the road to bite my friends tyre, but was the size of a shoelace so didn't get very far!

Probably a dumb question but how does riding SBR (one lap) compare to the 947? Obviously its much shorter but if you're able to ride SBR is the 947 doable? First timer here so I'm just interested to hear. 

Its shorter yes but some big climbs there and undulating of note, that is you are either going up or going down, with little respite, But great training for any cyclist, not really the place to go for a family fun ride with people who are not cycling fit, they wont enjoy it, They could try the small loop for a taste of the action of the big loop

Its shorter yes but some big climbs there and undulating of note, that is you are either going up or going down, with little respite, But great training for any cyclist, not really the place to go for a family fun ride with people who are not cycling fit, they wont enjoy it, They could try the small loop for a taste of the action of the big loop

If they can get up the first climb...my wife is still pissed off with me for suggesting she do the "small 10km loop".. :eek:

If they can get up the first climb...my wife is still pissed off with me for suggesting she do the "small 10km loop".. :eek:

That's the taster for what's to come :o

That first climb is a real beast.

Years ago as I was getting ready to ride a bloke came up to me and asked how much climbing there was. I said about 1200m over the 56km. He said that was easy no big deal and off he went. I caught him at the top of the second climb, the one before you hook a left onto the one way section. He was pushing. Had a real go at me because I told him only 1200m of climbing and here he was still climbing and he had already done about 4000m. I tried to explain to him I meant altitude gain but he was too cross to listen. No idea what happened to him.

Anyone know more about the geology of the place? Igneous intrusion? certain not granite.

Also there is layer of pebbles and small rocks you can see in the cut as you near the top, suggest water once flowed there. Last ice age?

Funny you should ask. My GF is a geologist and I have ridden around the place with a woman who has a PH.D. In geology.

It's mostly the Witwatersrand group with some patches of the Ventersdorp Andesite. The Andesite is a lava. Greenish blue. There are even some amygdales that you see in the Berg basalts in it. Those white crystal things. Wits group is obviously mostly quartzite. It's all sedimentary metamorphic.

The pebbles could be either fresh deposits but I don't think so. The Bird reef is part of the wits group and it is pebbly when it weathers. It was a river bed almost 3 billion years ago and then over time was turned to rock. It has a tendency to turn back into the pebbles it once was. Not sure that is the actual bird reef out there as it is actually in the Selby area but I use that as an example.

Anyway I'm not a geologist but I find it interesting. Perhaps a real geologist could add more info

Funny you should ask. My GF is a geologist and I have ridden around the place with a woman who has a PH.D. In geology.

It's mostly the Witwatersrand group with some patches of the Ventersdorp Andesite. The Andesite is a lava. Greenish blue. There are even some amygdales that you see in the Berg basalts in it. Those white crystal things. Wits group is obviously mostly quartzite. It's all sedimentary metamorphic.

The pebbles could be either fresh deposits but I don't think so. The Bird reef is part of the wits group and it is pebbly when it weathers. It was a river bed almost 3 billion years ago and then over time was turned to rock. It has a tendency to turn back into the pebbles it once was. Not sure that is the actual bird reef out there as it is actually in the Selby area but I use that as an example.

Anyway I'm not a geologist but I find it interesting. Perhaps a real geologist could add more info

How long have you and your GF been together?  What you just typed could have fooled me.  :eek:

Hahahaha. I have always been facinated by geology. It was a bonus to date a geologist. I nag her about stuff constantly. I have had her drive me all over Joburg with the PH.D. Friend and had them explain it all to me.

The thing I wrote above is a bit misleading where I say it's all sedimentary metamorphic. That applies only to the wits group. The andesite is obviously not sedimentary and not part of the wits group.

Edited by HappyMartin

In a nutshell, Yes definitely

What's the easiest way to get in and where do you park ? Never been there before and don't know the area well at all.

Will be coming from Centurion so probably best to use the N3 ?

What's the easiest way to get in and where do you park ? Never been there before and don't know the area well at all.

Will be coming from Centurion so probably best to use the N3 ?

Head down on the N3 towards Heidelburg, then join the R550 west, entrance is a few k's on your left. The turn-off on the N3 is after a one stop.