Giant Propel Brakes Issue

button

Did you buy the bike new ? I would try to get the bike shop to get the brakes swapped for a new model

Yeah I will try... I have the TRP model... You have the TRP shoes and the SL Speed Control Arms... My whole set is TRP and when I do adjust and get some sort of clearance its nowhere near as much daylight as you have! Annoyed and jealous :mellow:

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There was a very lengthy thread on the Hub about this. I cannot remember what the solution was (if there was a solution). Try and do a search and see if you can find it.

I saw it and the only permanent solution was replacing the brake set unfortunately... Hoping some one reads this and has a cheaper than 2.5k option for me :/

Personally, I wouldn't worry about changing the brakes. Just ride it with the 23 tyres. I would be prepared to sacrifice a bit of comfort to save R2.5k

Yeah I will try... I have the TRP model... You have the TRP shoes and the SL Speed Control Arms... My whole set is TRP and when I do adjust and get some sort of clearance its nowhere near as much daylight as you have! Annoyed and jealous :mellow:

I would have been happier with Ultegra. I don't find these Giant brakes to sharp. 

Personally, I wouldn't worry about changing the brakes. Just ride it with the 23 tyres. I would be prepared to sacrifice a bit of comfort to save R2.5k

Yeah I'll definitely do that if I can't find a cheaper source of brakes... But the 25c and 23c tyre doesn't differ much in height... Even with the 23's there's not much space

Edited by button

I would have been happier with Ultegra. I don't find these Giant brakes to sharp. 

As far as I've researched the main reason for people switching to Fouriers brakes on the propel is becuase of the fact that the breaks are ***... it hasnt even been the issue of break cable rub. It really doesnt do giant any good making an awesome frame and finishing it off with mega average components...

Best is to use a 25c tyre on a wider rim that is designed for a 25c tyre.

Fit a 25c tyre on a normal 23c rim and you not wider, but actually higher with a balloon effect...

What size rim are you using with this 25c tyres?

Best is to use a 25c tyre on a wider rim that is designed for a 25c tyre.

Fit a 25c tyre on a normal 23c rim and you not wider, but actually higher with a balloon effect...

What size rim are you using with this 25c tyres?

Riding on Token C55's... 55mm deep carbon clinchers, 700c

Riding on Token C55's... 55mm deep carbon clinchers, 700c

Rims made for 23mm tyres.

Edited by Mongoose!

Rims made for 23mm tyres.

Not sure... but the 25c Conti GP 4000s II tyres I have on the rims are indicated @ 25 x 700... so assuming thats meant to mean compatability?

I fitted once 25mm tires to Mavic (non wider rims)

Looked like deep section wheels...lol. As said higher profile but not wider.

Friend of mine has a Propel. His Firecrest Zipps with 25mm tyres fit with no problem. That is because it is a wide rim which don't force the tyre upwards.

Edited by Mongoose!

Guide to pairing rim with tyre width.

Yeha I had a look at this... I'm not sure what the inner rim width of these Token C55's are though... will find out from the dealer but I reckon its somewhere in that range of 25mm tyres...

I fitted once 25mm tires to Mavic (non wider rims)

Looked like deep section wheels...lol. As said higher profile but not wider.

Friend of mine has a Propel. His Firecrest Zipps with 25mm tyres fit with no problem. That is because it is a wide rim which don't force the tyre upwards.

He could also have a different brake model to mine...

Edited by button

So I've ordered one set of the new model Giant Brakes from Cape Town. Spoke to the guy there (Jason) and he was very helpful. Apparently the arms on the Giant Brakes (SL Speed Control) are longer than the arms on my current brakes that came with the frame (the TRP brakes). 

I only ordered one pair because a) They are stupidly priced @ R995 for one set and b) My front brake hasn't had any issues... yet.

I was assured that if they don't fit and I have the same issue I can return them for a refund.

Will let you know what the outcome is when the brakes arrive.

leka

Edited by button