Disturbing incident at Modders

Plentipotential

I think you will enjoy that - now please book a skills course - Peach is your man.... :) old bones don't like hitting the deck - and the camber will tempt you to go faster than skills allow... My Enduro certainly does.... and it bit me 10 days ago - still feeling it... although I have ordered a new helmet.... should have it today.

Good advice, I think I must follow it.

I hope you are ok - feel better!

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

When i ride alone i always tell my wife which route i will ride and how long i would be gone. I also carry one of those cheap nokia phones with me. (the ones that are like the old 3310s but the newer one) I keep it off in my back pocket but there is no password or pin. You just switch it on and i have all my ice numbers on there with there relationship to me. Wife, Brother, Friend etc.

Guessing the 3310 is mainly for weight training and the second use is a emergency phone :P

On another note, looking at getting a ICE bracelet. How do the sizes work?

On the site its small, medium, Large, but what are the dimensions?

Also what is the character limit per row?

Only problem is that your phone might get damaged,so good to have backup numbers stuck to the bike 

contact name, cell nr and blood group on my helmet.

Guessing the 3310 is mainly for weight training and the second use is a emergency phone :P

On another note, looking at getting a ICE bracelet. How do the sizes work?

On the site its small, medium, Large, but what are the dimensions?

Also what is the character limit per row?

I got one of these. http://www.iceid.co.za/

Lots of space for details, spare parts available and cut the band to fit yourself.

Edited by Plentipotential

Years back on a morning ride we were pulled over by a few cops. They asked if we often did that route. We told them every Saturday. They asked us to help identify a cyclist under a blanket on the side of the road. No ID on him. Helmet ripped off and bits all over. No phone. We didn't know him but helped flagged down other cyclists. Eventually a pedestrian came to us with a phone they had picked up some distance away. It was still working and the police were able to get his wife's number off it.

My conclusion is a phone can fly out of a pocket. Helmets can be ripped off and destroyed. Get a proper ICE ID.

ICE ID is the way to go. Have been wearing mine for the past 3 years and all the numbers are still as new. Very hard wearing.

Do they have different quality print on different tags, or have they changed them - I was terribly underwhelmed when mine faded in no time whatsoever. Seriously illegible in less than 6 months of normal wearing

Do they have different quality print on different tags, or have they changed them - I was terribly underwhelmed when mine faded in no time whatsoever. Seriously illegible in less than 6 months of normal wearing

The one I used is stainless steel laser engraved and attached to a silicon band. It seems pretty indestructible. My first one outlasted my marriage. The only reason I replaced it is my ex would have left me to die on the side of the road in an emergency.

What I like about the wrist iceID is when a paramedic or someone tries to find a pulse they usually go to the wrist or neck first and therefore they will see the iceID. You don't want to end up with someone that has to search for contact numbers and medical details when time is crucial.

I also have a flip cover on my phone which has a slot for a card or two. I keep a extra medical aid card in that slot that is visible when opened. I heard a few stories about hospitals refusing to admit patients if they don't have their medical aid cards with them.

Managed to find out some info on this cyclist. Surname Cohen, taken to Union Hospital Alberton, operated yesterday. Still critical unable to breath on his own.

Jeez, what the hell kind of speeds are you guys doing in JHB?

When I crash on a MTB in KZN I hit a soft bush with the same sound as a squeak toy.

Managed to find out some info on this cyclist. Surname Cohen, taken to Union Hospital Alberton, operated yesterday. Still critical unable to breath on his own.

It's not good!!

I have a PocPac, In there is a card with all my details and ICE  numbers,

On my camel pack is a ICE ID Tag that I attached to one of the bag straps.

On my Iphone, on Health app as mentioned before, you are able to put your ICE details in and are able to access it with out an unlock pin!

Think I covered it , ya?