Amateur 3D Printing

Schmorglebot

On 2/19/2024 at 4:24 PM, Kom said:

ive probably printed this design a dozen times already - i kept getting stuck with too many tree supports and a k*k finish under the mount.

i stumbled on Cheps youtube channel and discovered custom supports as a marketplace plugin for cura - what a discovery! 

Cheps custom profiles for cura are excellent too - my ender 3 has a new lease on life!

Thanks for sharing! Will make life so much easier

• Replies 256
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 2/16/2024 at 2:12 AM, Wayne Potgieter said:

Going on a bit of a bikepacking adventure. Have been exploring combining 3D printing with this. Here is a protype using some old white PLA for a fork mount. (Nalgene bottle for scale)

428366544_10163216133119186_7120311503022221671_n.jpg

428366488_10163216132869186_6776037461789239095_n.jpg

Found this design here --> https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3231772

Playing with this for the kickr bike so i can use a 1.5l bottle for the single mount.

12 hours ago, Kom said:

Found this design here --> https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3231772

Playing with this for the kickr bike so i can use a 1.5l bottle for the single mount.

Made mine out of a PVC pipe. Used a heat gun to bend the bottom over. Will post photos when i get home.

On 2/24/2024 at 12:39 PM, Kom said:

Use 100% infill folks 🫣

also: don't Eddie Mercx your designs too much 🤐

IMG_4205.jpeg

IMG_4206.jpeg

Yoh - another break, same point in the design - my varia has asked for it to be returned to manufacturer for fear of road rash 😁

IMG_4400.jpeg

2 minutes ago, Kom said:

Yoh - another break, same point in the design - my varia has asked for it to be returned to manufacturer for fear of road rash 😁

IMG_4400.jpeg

Beefing up the design somewhat - and move to PETG probably the biggest gain.

image.png.65f1596ebda824a424ca9ccea9327319.png

21 hours ago, Kom said:

Beefing up the design somewhat - and move to PETG probably the biggest gain.

image.png.65f1596ebda824a424ca9ccea9327319.png

Just me, or does the support side of a Petg print always look lekker k*k 😱

IMG_4405.jpeg

IMG_4406.jpeg

After all the experimentation, giving up on this design. Got it to a place of "strength", but break anxiety wasn't worth getting a good mount.

The CNC adapter's supplied by @Jono are just way better looking and will last. Can recommend them for sale on the hub.

IMG_4414.jpeg

IMG_4413.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...

Almost there, base plate needs to be wider.

IMG_4619.jpeg

IMG_4618.jpeg

Lr4 Bike Mounts cad.jpg

Edited by Kom

16 minutes ago, Kom said:

Almost there, base plate needs to be wider.

IMG_4619.jpeg

IMG_4618.jpeg

Lr4 Bike Mounts cad.jpg

Asking on behalf of my OCD: Why are the handlebars not mounted straight?

PS: Love your solution, I just throw the bike in haphazardly when I put it inside the SUV. This looks much better.

3 minutes ago, Vetplant said:

Asking on behalf of my OCD: Why are the handlebars not mounted straight?

the 20deg offset allows for three gravel bikes to easily stack next to each other without having space issues. (You can sort of see what i sized up in the post before with two bikes next to each other).

3 minutes ago, Vetplant said:

PS: Love your solution, I just throw the bike in haphazardly when I put it inside the SUV. This looks much better.

Thanks 👏🏼 i often find im transporting two bikes in which case i need a solution like this. For one bike, i wouldn't be bothered, i just install the bike upside down across the rear of the front seats, but for two, i want something more stable/neat/less prone to bashing around.

2 minutes ago, Kom said:

the 20deg offset allows for three gravel bikes to easily stack next to each other without having space issues. (You can sort of see what i sized up in the post before with two bikes next to each other).

Thanks 👏🏼 i often find im transporting two bikes in which case i need a solution like this. For one bike, i wouldn't be bothered, i just install the bike upside down across the rear of the front seats, but for two, i want something more stable/neat/less prone to bashing around.

Cool, understood.

But for the love of all things proportional and geometrically sound, please consider mounting the handlebars at 45° or at the very least 30°. This 20° nonsense hurts my eyes. ;) 

11 hours ago, Kom said:

Has anyone thought about internal bike mounts for their SUV?

i think i can make this work ...

IMG_4605.jpeg

IMG_4604.jpeg

IMG_4602.jpeg

Both these bikes fit inside the Ertiga. With 3 usable seats.

I removed seat #7 and added front wheel mounts.

30 sekonds to remove the rear wheel guides, flip up the seats and have a 6 seater to treat the Potch train when the visit us for the CTCT.  @SilverRider

Mounting brackets are from Holdfast.  Your LBS can order this for you.

You are welcome to pop over if you want to see what worked, and what I will change next time.  I am in Bellville

G1-10.jpg

Not sure I would use a 3D printed bracket to mount the wheel.

It may be handy for a bracket to limiting side ways sway.

Edited by ChrisF

I like this design, but the bikes don’t work in this orientation, I don’t want to remove seatposts. The moment you turn the bikes you can’t use the rail, mount options limited. I think my design is optimal for my needs.

IMG_0611.jpeg