Helmets and injury prevention

arabsandals

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

because quite simply the benefits of riding with a helmet far outweigh the perceived benefits of riding without one. 

No study will be able to show, without introducing SIGNIFICANT bias, that the non use of helmets is better. It's one of those things that has sufficient evidence to allow someone to dismiss any other study citing the benefits of helmetlesness as simple twaddle.

Much like the climate change denialists harping on about the "3% of scientists that disagree"

I think you might be oversimplifying things.

As a former skydiver I know that parachutes save lives, no study needed there.

I think we can safely assume that helmets on certain cyclist's heads can and do prevent certain types of injury.

To state that "citing the benefits of helmetlesness as simple twaddle"  isn't helpful. One only has to look at cyclists in Europe. (There are issues around compulsory helmet laws discouraging cycling)         

And it's nothing like climate change denialism.

I think you might be oversimplifying things.

As a former skydiver I know that parachutes save lives, no study needed there.

I think we can safely assume that helmets on certain cyclist's heads can and do prevent certain types of injury.

To state that "citing the benefits of helmetlesness as simple twaddle"  isn't helpful. One only has to look at cyclists in Europe. (There are issues around compulsory helmet laws discouraging cycling)         

And it's nothing like climate change denialism.

I'm not saying helmet laws on bikes should be a compulsory thing, far from it. I'm raising the point that those who claim helmetlessness is better than helmetonheadness is inherently flawed. 

Compulsory helmet wearing may discourage cycling, but that doesn't make cycling without a helmet less dangerous than cycling with one. 

I'm not saying helmet laws on bikes should be a compulsory thing, far from it. I'm raising the point that those who claim helmetlessness is better than helmetonheadness is inherently flawed. 

Compulsory helmet wearing may discourage cycling, but that doesn't make cycling without a helmet less dangerous than cycling with one. 

OK, I thought for a moment Friday was a few days early ;)

It is an interesting and complex issue.

OK, I thought for a moment Friday was a few days early ;)

It is an interesting and complex issue.

No its not.

Wear your helmet. Simple.

Really? 

No studies needed?

Why ever not? 

And if one were, for example, to consider the bigger picture?

BTW: I also take my chances with a helmet.

It's not that studies are of no use - on the contrary.

It's just that I don't need a study to convince me.

I am already more than convinced that a helmet is the better option from what I have personally seen and experienced.

What I can't understand is that there are those who advocate riding without a helmet.

It is dangerous enough with a helmet on.

Do NOT tell me that riding without a helmet makes you a more careful rider - as Mangosuthu would say - bollocks!!

Anyone know where I can get a helmet for a baby/toddler? My lightie is 10 months old and I just bought a baby chair for my bike as well as one of those platic motor bikes. We won't allow him to use either till I get a helmet. Was at my LBS today and they only had ones for about a 4 year old. They said they can order but it's pricey(about 800) and I should try a baby toy shop or even possibly makro. Problem is at this age he will probably only use it for a few months then it's too small.

Sent from my LG-H735 using Tapatalk

a helmet saved my life this weekend when i came off my bike....take care people.

helmet pictures or it didn't happen ;) glad you survived

Without having read a plethora of studies, common sense says that a bicycle helmet is going to be anywhere from 0 - 100% effective on any given day. It all depends on the circumstances, i.o.w. a pretty large array of variables. It's a roll of the dice, so to speak. It might be your lucky day, and the variables land in your favour. Or not.

Still, none of this negates the fact that it is better for two legged creatures who propel themselves around on two wheeled objects to wear helmets. When the variables are a little off kilter on any given day, and you see your arse, a helmet might just keep one from pegging, or not.

If this fire needs any (old) fuel for Friday...

http://www.waba.org/blog/2013/06/feds-withdraw-claim-that-bike-helmets-are-85-percent-effective/

Ooops, I nearly forgot, we don't need any studies ;)

Except that that study doesn't support the "cycling without helmets is safer" brigade. 

Nowhere has anyone (here) said that helmets are perfectly safe, nor need no more development. That much is indisputable - and that's why we're seeing things like MIPS, that air-bag type helmet that Capricorn posted, the armourgel equivalent of MIPS from Leatt and so on. Development is important, especially from a concussion mitigation perspective. Helmets simply don't offer full protection against that - but they DO offer more protection than no helmet at all. 

The straw man argument that is "helmet laws discourage cycling therefore helmets are bad" has nothing to do with the safety aspects of wearing a helmet. That's a separate argument altogether, IMO. 

Archived