Santa Cruz-Spez-Scott

batmobile

Santa Cruz is an awesome machine and I regret the day i sold my Nomad and have lusted after a Tallboy for a long time.

Its just the decision is based on how what you want? An XC machine that has Enduro pedigree or an Enduro machine that can climb okay.

If its the latter then go longer travel and slacker head angles. A more XC oriented machine runs out of steam when faced with serious downhills. An Enduro machine can climb better than an XC machine can descend.

My 2 cents worth

SC Tallboy for the hybrid

Maybe a Specialized Stumpy?

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have tb2 with a 120 fork and there's nothing it can't do at my skill level . And I race it in marathons ,not at the sharp end but more middle front than back. It's brilliant and geo is so good . I am 183cm and ride a xl and it actually fits my riding style better,not so crancked over. Yet the bike doesn't feel big.

I bought mine frame & fork combo and built it up . It's has a dropper and 1x11 groupset and still only weighs 11.2kg with heavy 2.4 tyres .

It really is the perfect mix for a one bike do it all,regardless of how you building it. And plenty deals for some reason in the classifieds on tb's at the mo.

I had a Scott premium albeit not new enough to warranty a fair comparison . And it was a ht. Also had Scott genuis which is a brilliant bike and very light and capable. But don't be fooled if you want to build the tb super light doubt you can go far wrong and not much to touch it.

Possibly the best bike I have ridden. And had a few over the last couple of years finding "that bike"

Good luck and at the end of the day you can't wrong with any of them. It comes down to what you want from a bike and which one pulls on your heart strings....that's the right bike????

I currently have a Booth carbon 29er with a 100mm SID fork(could possibly appear in the classifieds sometime soon), also has 100mm rear travel.

I'm not looking for a serious trail bike nor a xc bike. Want something which fits in between so in the lines of 120mm front and rear. I'm definitely not a race snake. If I go for the SC it would be a frame and I'd strip components.   

Just having an itch to get/build a new bike.

You are trying to justify that you want the SC. In your heart you know you want the SC.

Thing is it will be very difficult to do a proper SC build under 60k with a new frame. I did the maths, and I could not get it to work.

The SC is a brilliant bike.

Thanks for the replies chaps. Bike buying and building these days is pretty tough going with so many options available.Will have to browse the shops to have a touchy feely of the products too. :)

With the TB3 now out there are a few TB2 frames coming up 2nd hand. I'm also eyeing one. If you pick one up under R35k with fork you can do an XT or equivalent build with new wheelset within R60k. You can offset this by selling your old bike. Enjoy

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Edited by JXV

Another Tallboy2 rider here and after almost 2 years on the bike i am still not looking for my next build! Enjoying every single ride like the first. Such a capable bike that can be built to suit most riding styles. It will not disappoint!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am a happy TB2 owner .Perfect allrounder with 120mm front SID .Also riding a Rocky mountain element .Have a look at the Rocky  instinct if you are looking for a good allrounder 

I am a happy TB2 owner .Perfect allrounder with 120mm front SID .Also riding a Rocky mountain element .Have a look at the Rocky  instinct if you are looking for a good allrounder

how does the rm element compare to the tb2. Was looking at there top frame before building tb. But went tallboy coz in my mind thought tb was more of an all rounder.

Is it ?

how does the rm element compare to the tb2. Was looking at there top frame before building tb. But went tallboy coz in my mind thought tb was more of an all rounder.

Is it ?

To really appreciate the TB you have to ride it everywhere .TB2 is a trail bike with good XC capability and element is the reverse 

Is it ?

STOP IT. NOW. 

Bloody magpie 

:P

Edited by Myles Mayhew

Depending on what components you have on the Booth, a few of them wont move straight over to the TB3. Rear hub spacing/width is different, so could mean a new rear hub/wheel rebuild, seat tube is now 31.6 and no longer 30.9, headset differs too

Probably best to find a decent 2nd hand TB2 frame.

Some shops (and perhaps Dragon's) might still have brand new TB2 frames.

I wanted to build a TB2 but couldn't get it to work in my budget, also couldn't find any frames in the classifieds at the time.

I ended up buy a Turner Czar which is very much the same as a TB geometry wise except it has a 1 degree "slacker" head angle.

I run it with a 120mm Pike and I'm really really happy.

I also rode a Transition smuggler recently and would rate is up with a Tallboy .Frames are half the price of a TB3.Very much trail orientated frame