Weekend getaway with lekker trails advice

goodluck Phil danger

Hi guys, I need some suggestions.

My wife and I are planning 'n lekker getaway for 4-5 days middle of December, and we are looking at going somewhere where we can take our mountain bikes with.

Wishlist:

1. Lekker trails/or places to cycle

2. The more secluded the better

3. Does not have to be 5-star, but at least clean and en-suite.

Contraints:

1. Limited to South Africa, but will consider anywhere in SA

2. About R 10-15k budget MAX excluding flights (so for meals and accommodation and what not)

3. It has to be perfectly safe

4. It has to be mountain bike routes!

Any suggestions will be welcome, from coast to game farms, except probably somewhere in the Northern Cape, because I am from there and it is flipping hot there that time of the year.

I would really appreciate any help!

Thanks!

Maine Cottage (part of Oaklane)

secluded + lebanon trails at your doorstep without the cycle from Oaklane cottages

Eikenhof (MTO) has cottages on the dam, but Eikenhof house is more secluded (Grabouw trails nearby - good swimming and hikes. (House sleeps 6, went there as a family)

Old Mac Daddy - haven't been there but have heard good reports

Garden route trailpark area - loads of accommodation nearby, sure they can help.  We had a 15min drive - was still worth it.

Grootvadersbos

Karkloof (one of my favourite areas to ride)

Kruistement vlei

Eikenhof (MTO) has cottages on the dam apparently to for rent anymore and most of grabouw forestry is busy logging and last i was there a lot of the trail was destroyed. 

I've been riding Tranquilitas and surrounding area for the past 4 years without as much as a single incident - from a safety perspective that is :P . I mostly ride alone. So from a safety perspective you can't go wrong. The accommodation is nice, especially if you rent the house on the other side of the road, away from the main camp site. Lovely house with great facilities, and very private.

All of this, plus the excellent 100+ km trail system (they've added a bunch of new trails lately), and you've pretty much covered your entire list of requirements.

Eikenhof (MTO) has cottages on the dam apparently to for rent anymore and most of grabouw forestry is busy logging and last i was there a lot of the trail was destroyed. 

I have had a couple of bachelors in those cottages. Always fun and the apple blossom going through country club on sunday and w2w in november so i am sure the trails have been beefed up.

Hi guys, I need some suggestions.

My wife and I are planning 'n lekker getaway for 4-5 days middle of December, and we are looking at going somewhere where we can take our mountain bikes with.

Wishlist:

1. Lekker trails/or places to cycle

2. The more secluded the better

3. Does not have to be 5-star, but at least clean and en-suite.

Contraints:

1. Limited to South Africa, but will consider anywhere in SA

2. About R 10-15k budget MAX excluding flights (so for meals and accommodation and what not)

3. It has to be perfectly safe

4. It has to be mountain bike routes!

Any suggestions will be welcome, from coast to game farms, except probably somewhere in the Northern Cape, because I am from there and it is flipping hot there that time of the year.

I would really appreciate any help!

Thanks!

Hi there Phil, as others have mentioned here, the Western Cape is a good option with many trails in close-ish vicinity.

If you were to stay in Hermanus or Kleinmond you would have 3 trails within a 30km radius, If you were to drive a bit further towards Grabouw, about 40km,you have at least 3 more trail close to each other. If you go a bit further you get Somerset West and around the corner Stellenbosch that both have am abundance of trails around them.

Some more driving will get you to Franshoek, Paarl or Wellington where you'll find some more trails.

In this part of the Western Cape you'll have many places to ride that you can choose from within a 100km radius.

Just have a look on Google for the trails around the towns I mentioned and see what town would serve as a good 'base camp' so to speak. I'm positive you won't be disappointed by the beauty of this region or its mtb trails.

Edited by BenReaper