What hydration pack for MTB

Ballie44

I swear by the Due South Straightfin 2L. It is R450, so half the price of the overpriced camelbaks, takes 2L and it has multiple zips for storing tools, keys, clothing etc.

And you can buy it with a Markham account :clap: haha

http://www.duesouth.co.za/pdp/duesouth-straightfin-2l-hydration-pack/_/A-194213AAAE3

Yeah Camelbak costs more, but in all my years of riding I am yet to have a single issue with one. Comes with a lifetime warranty and spares are available EVERYWHERE. 

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Got myself a Camelbak Skyline 10Lr to replace my Mule and its extremely comfortable,lots are going to tell you that a cheap pack is just as good as the more expensive Camelback or Evoc packs but those cheap ones don't have the tech built into them and will definitely not last for a very long time.

Rolling with a Mule - lots of space and a 3lt bladder.

I definitely recommend a Camelbak for Sani ESPECIALLY day2 and ESPECIALLY for between WP1 and WP2. Very hot trekking through the valley and plenty of people running out of water,. Luckily this year there was an additional waterpoint just before Nandos that saved a lot of people.

Kudu also a lekker option with padded protection on the back. Little bit heavier than the Mule but hardly noticeable when packed. 

Yeah Camelbak costs more, but in all my years of riding I am yet to have a single issue with one. Comes with a lifetime warranty and spares are available EVERYWHERE. 

Fair enough. I've had the Due South one for about a year now and I have no issues. Will give you feedback if/when it breaks haha.

If you have 2 water bottles on your bike, a spare tube taped to your frame and all your tools in your back pocket you are good to go!!  I carry some extra steroids in a plastic ziplock to refill one of my water bottles midway through the stage.

I you do decide on getting a hydration pack, there is only one! The Osprey Raven 10.  For me it sits much nicer on your back than the Camelbak Mule and you have a lifetime warranty on your pack.  I use my Osprey on all my long MTB rides now.  Dropper post = no water bottle behind the seat post.

haha, Look I own a few Camelbaks but for a mtb race 2 bottles is enough to get between water points.

My input for Camelbacks-

Buy Camelbak only, don't waste time and money on other bladders.

I raced Enduro motorbikes for years. The camelbak bladders are the toughest and eventually after 7 years when one of mine started leaking( I think it was because of a tool in the pack that nicked it in a big crash) they honoured the lifetime guarantee and gave me a new bladder for free. For this reason alone it is worth it. I use the Leatt quick release set up and a flow meter for enduro so the pi(s)t crew can keep an eye on hydration but that is not needed for mtb at all.

We went on a big recce on hydration packs about a year ago, and ended up buying 2x Osprey packs for myself - a smaller Syncro 3 (including a 2.5l bladder so the pocket is quite small) and then the larger Viper 9. I use the smaller ones for normal weekend rides, the larger was great for Sani2c. Both were on sale at Due South, and the design much preferred over Camelbak.

Osprey make hands-down the best hiking/backpacking/climbing packs on the planet. Their hydration systems are on par with Camelbak, perhaps better for mountaineering use. Haven't tried their cycling stuff but will have a look. Thanks

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Even though I'm not a fan of the look, the Osprey Raptor kills it as a pack. I've had the Evoc ones but they are more trail bags and do get pretty hot on the back. I'd say if it's for a race then small camelbaks would be an obvious choice but @ 1.5ltrs are you going to get more in than 2 bottles and there isn't much room for storage.  

My pack is starting to run out of lifespan (dog has taken to trying to eat it and daughter uses it to transport her menagerie of soft animals to her social engagements) so I'm going to check out the Shimano Unzen or Enduro Racepack as it look pretty solid and gets some good reviews. Just need to find one locally. 

Edited by hellocolour

Best use of a my hydration pack at SANI was the perfect place for my partner to grab while I pulled him up the hills :ph34r:

Try that with a saddle bag :whistling:

Another vote for the Camelbak CHARGE

Very comfy, lots of space, v clever distribution of bladder (weight) around hips....all considered, the perfect backpack.

However, and this is a BIG ONE, got try them all on for COMFORT & FIT - that's the most important in my view.

I recently had a few nasty OTB moments and realised that the tools in my back pack are causing a lot of the damage when I land on my back! 

So I've moved all my tools to the bottle cage and use a water only hydration pack...

I bought one of these from CRC a few months ago. Fits tight without excessive movement on the back.

post-47220-0-60071700-1476259285_thumb.png

post-47220-0-25286700-1476259287_thumb.jpg

While you don't need one for races - the ability to drink with mostly hands on the bars is useful- especially downhill and in single track.

Drinking with both hands on bars is the biggest thing for me ;-)  

2l should be fine and smaller so you pack in less 

Camelbak Classic 2 Litre - Black   has my vote and has being ordered.

The ease to fill at WP and less space to pack unnecessary  promoted upgrade from another bigger pack with 3l  water