• Replies 635
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

New bike attached :-)...

Hopefully it will be as fast as it is beautiful LOL

What happened to the Argon?  

Were you in the cradle 2 weekends ago as saw a kermit QR there, rider in matching kermit green top

Nice bike, Congrats!!

Hi Hubbers

Does anybody know where I can buy a nice Triathlon suit which has sleeves ? Perhaps compression on the legs portion.

EmJay, if you still worried about the 21km run, break it down into 5km run, 1km walk, 5km run, 1km walk etc .... there are many that run/walk the whole way.

In fact my mate cramped badly after 3kms last year, and still hobbled/walked/shuffled to the finish

Nothing is happening at the moment. Sinus infection went into the chest... FML. Been driving hubby up the wall. Friends are happy to see me though.  :clap:

I am keeping an open mind about this event. Will see. Wanted to test my new saddle in the Cradle this weekend, but alas, sickness has struck. 

Hi Hubbers

Does anybody know where I can buy a nice Triathlon suit which has sleeves ? Perhaps compression on the legs portion.

Zone 3 trisuits are apparently very good, but pricey as hell. 

https://zone3.co.za/

What happened to the Argon?  

Were you in the cradle 2 weekends ago as saw a kermit QR there, rider in matching kermit green top

Nice bike, Congrats!!

No I only got the bike last week, so had the first ride out this weekend only to tear a tyre 10km out...

So had to sit on the trainer at home for a while :-)

The Argon had a bit of an accident. After SunCity, I headed back home, unpacked and forgot the bike behind the car. Next morning headed out to work, a little rushed and just heard cracking all over :-(

Was a very sad sight

No I only got the bike last week, so had the first ride out this weekend only to tear a tyre 10km out...

So had to sit on the trainer at home for a while :-)

The Argon had a bit of an accident. After SunCity, I headed back home, unpacked and forgot the bike behind the car. Next morning headed out to work, a little rushed and just heard cracking all over :-(

Was a very sad sight

So there more than 1 green QR around !!... thought yours might have been the only one.

That was unfortunate... good insurance claim replacement ;)

morning all,what do you guys recon the swim is going to be like swimming in the ushaka pier area compared to snake park beach ,will it relay make a big difference  if the see in on its head?

Hi all former participants and more experienced triathletes... I'm doing my 1st 70.3 in Durban this year. I am an experienced cyclist with some good road times and a few Epics under the belt - and I'm doing this event more as a once-off personal challenge rather than as a change in sporting codes. I'd like opinions about the use of tri-bars vs just riding on the dropbars. Obviously the tribars do make a difference - but on a 90km stage for an experienced cyclist is the difference that big? Can I simply ride without them and do many people riding this event opt not to use them? 

Thanks for constructive feedback in advance.....

Hi all former participants and more experienced triathletes... I'm doing my 1st 70.3 in Durban this year. I am an experienced cyclist with some good road times and a few Epics under the belt - and I'm doing this event more as a once-off personal challenge rather than as a change in sporting codes. I'd like opinions about the use of tri-bars vs just riding on the dropbars. Obviously the tribars do make a difference - but on a 90km stage for an experienced cyclist is the difference that big? Can I simply ride without them and do many people riding this event opt not to use them? 

If you don't have them then don't bother. The Durban course is conducive to tri bars it must be said but its not imperative. I would not spend the coin if it is indeed a one off. Just ride in the drops. I would imagine Durban will be around 40-50% on normal road bikes.

@The Russian

Over and above what ICM said, it may take you some time to get used to the new position, and you would need a new fit. I have read that riding in that position can feel quite a bit squirrel-ly to start. For a 70.3, I really don't think it's necessary. 

Edited by EmJayZA

I had this same debate with myself last year. (unfortunately my road bike got jacked so the choice was eventually made for me...)

My thoughts - road bikes geometry is just different to a tri bike, so regardless of clip on bars and shifting your saddle around (and then ruining your 'daily' setup) you'll always be fighting for awkward small gains.

I say ride your road bike properly, save the ammo for one day if the bug bites and you want to get a tri bike, and don't bother with the middle ground.

Good luck with that! The tri bug bites pretty damn hard.