Ironman 70.3 Durban

ScottCM

Run is flat which is physically harder on the body... there is only 1 little incline (not really mentioning really) and is where you come out from the loop to Moses Mabhida Stadium back onto the Promenade.... otherwise all flat running up and down the beach front

My very first triathlon was IM durbs two years ago. and it was that very incline that had me pulling myself up by my hands using the side railings because my legs were so cramped...

Ahhh good times

• Replies 635
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

HAHAHAHA, that was me last year, came out that tunnel was going to walk that little hill and then it was going to be my final big push to glory!!  Then some overly enthusiastic supporters cheered me on as I approached and commanded me to run, so I thought oh well a few extra metres of effort - why not! I got round that bend and then everything seized up and i grabbed onto those railings like the world was about to end.  I ended up hobbling indignantly over the finish line after a few more seizures on my way to the carpet!  But I finished!

This morning i swam for the first time ever in a wetsuit, man what a difference it makes. The buoyancy is amazing. On the other hand there is definitely a noticeable difference in the amount of effort required to roll the shoulders through the stroke.  

This morning i swam for the first time ever in a wetsuit, man what a difference it makes. The buoyancy is amazing. On the other hand there is definitely a noticeable difference in the amount of effort required to roll the shoulders through the stroke.  

It is amazing hey, last year at Midlands ultra it was my 1st swim in a tri wetsuit ever, was 5mins faster than my goal time that day, definitely worth it!

Run is flat which is physically harder on the body... there is only 1 little incline (not really worth mentioning) and is where you come out from the loop to Moses Mabhida Stadium back onto the Promenade.... otherwise all flat running up and down the beach front

While on paper the run looks easy my experience tells me that for me it is far from easy. I have participated in 5 events in durban, all half distance along that promenade, and the run has never been as easy as it looks. Possibly the heat in Durban plays a role but the run has always been slow. As a matter of interest my first 21.1 of the run in Pe has consistently been faster than any single 21.1 in Durban.  (after 180 on the bike) . Strange that.

Make sure your wetsuit has been put on correctly. I usually need help to pull the suit over my shoulders properly. My Sherpa (hehehe) stands behind me and places his hand on my shoulder under the suit, and gently tugs the suit over his hand. Once the suit is tight under my arms, then only is my suit zipped up. The zipper should align without having to pull it too much. I didn't feel any restriction when my suit was on properly. Also using a plastic bag helps plenty. There are quite a few videos floating around YouTube. 

So what swim batch is everyone going to seed themselves in?

Me back of 40min +

Edited by ScottC-M

Me back of 40min +

Probably going in 30+... Estimating to get out in 36 or so minutes if all goes well

too early to discuss the weather  :ph34r: http://weather.news24.com/sa/Durban

Never too early to get excited...!!!  If this weather prediction holds it will be a nice cool day... Don't like the winds though!

Me back of 40min +

if all goes well 35-37 min swim for me so will try go of in the middle of the second 30min batch.

always find it to be duur mekaar anyway me swimming over people and people swimming over me i dont think people self seed in there proper times excitement gets the better of participants,and its go,go.go,go easy solution ironman should seed swimmers from previous race times and first timers start at the back

I must say that I am looking forward to my first 70.3. The self-seeding option is a new concept for me: very cool. So what kind of swim time do the super-sleek racing snakes in the front normally do? I know there aren't any "pros" racing but I'm sure there will be some serious amateurs lining up on the front. I did a 1,9km sea swim along Fish Hoek beach yesterday - took around 38min all in.  Conditions were cold but not much swell (and thankfully the Okes in BIG grey suits were all elsewhere...#swimLikeHell!)

I'd be interested to know which group I should go for so I don't get mowed over or end up swimming over fellow athletes!

Edited by The Russian

I'd aim for the front half of the 30-40 min batch, you obviously are comfortable with open water swimming so you aren't going to panic at the start so should be fine around there. I think a lot of guys training in pools base their planned times on pool swims so tend to position themselves ahead of where their actual ability allows.  I did a 36 min swim in East London and 1:16 for PE, so I'm also looking at hanging near the front half of the 30-40 min batch.

Edited by lurkerza

I must say that I am looking forward to my first 70.3. The self-seeding option is a new concept for me: very cool. So what kind of swim time do the super-sleek racing snakes in the front normally do? I know there aren't any "pros" racing but I'm sure there will be some serious amateurs lining up on the front. I did a 1,9km sea swim along Fish Hoek beach yesterday - took around 38min all in.  Conditions were cold but not much swell (and thankfully the Okes in BIG grey suits were all elsewhere...#swimLikeHell!)

I'd be interested to know which group I should go for so I don't get mowed over or end up swimming over fellow athletes!

It does not really matter where you start as you only officially start when you cross the mat So whether at the front or the back of a batch makes very little difference.  If you did a full open water swim and your time was 38mins then I would start towards the back of the 30mins and just in front of the 40min batch

Good luck guys, I sneaked a peak at the entry page just before it closed with half a mind as i am man alleen until august, but price had gone up to 3800 which shut down that thought...so I guess fomo for me.

Durban is a sweet place to do a tri and make an effort to go to the awards evening, they feed you and its a great vibe, then the after party at pirates or wherever it is, also cool. We train hard, need to party hard too and relish the moment.

For the seasoned pro's, have any of your family members ever used the sms tracking service? how often does it get updated or does it only update at the transition points?