Ironman 70.3 Durban

ScottCM

• Replies 635
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Anybody got some tips/training plan with the last two weeks of training/tapering? 

I wouldn't taper for two weeks. Maybe the second last week reduce intensity and distance by 20% and then last week by like 50%. I would keep the speed work, cut out the long run and long ride to stay sharp. 

My taper before EL from Monday to Thursday was:

Threshold run - 8 x 500m 

1600m of swimming with 100m and 50m threshold repeats 

1 hour IDT with short intervals at FTP

45 min Fartlek

Then just some quick sessions before the race at an easy pace with surges to race pace:

20 min swim

20 min cycle

20 min run 

Edited by EmJayZA

Recently diagnosed with Deep Vein Thrombosis

Was given the green light this morning to line up at the start on the 3rd :clap: :clap:

What causes that?how old are you? How does it affect yr life? What exactly is it?

Sorry for the questions. Seems a strange thing to have as an athlete.

I wouldn't taper for two weeks. Maybe the second last week reduce intensity and distance by 20% and then last week by like 50%. I would keep the speed work, cut out the long run and long ride to stay sharp. 

My taper before EL from Monday to Thursday was:

Threshold run - 8 x 500m 

1600m of swimming with 100m and 50m threshold repeats 

1 hour IDT with short intervals at FTP

45 min Fartlek

Then just some quick sessions before the race at an easy pace with surges to race pace:

20 min swim

20 min cycle

20 min run 

Must be honest, I had too google the meaning of Fartlek... :eek:

Fartlek runs are important. They should be in your training blocks. Teaches you how to control pace, and add some speedier intervals into the long run. 

I did a 16km run (my longest run yet) this morning at race pace. Should I look to do 1 more long run this weekend, or only shorter faster runs from here?

That's enough. Don't do anything longer than 10km from here on. 

A week to go, long-term weather forecast looks ok

post-93137-0-27724100-1527441787_thumb.jpeg

(big swell but that’s at Kite Beach/ Suncoast, Vetches will be calmer)

How’re you feeling about your prep & the race?

What’re you planning to do about the big bunches on the bike & drafting?

attachicon.gifECBB87C0-18D5-4FD8-BE09-FFAF8527A948.jpeg

So to answer your questions-Prep was great till about two weeks ago when I pinched a nerve in my spine connecting to my chest couldnt swim or run, and biked a bit 'but it hurts. So after some physio etc a bit better but flares up the moment I go long. So Sunday will be a survival game -rather than a race.

As for the drafting -After crashing due to exactly that in 2016 when a bunch caught me and I got switched-I am quite worried but logically the double loop should make it easier but you never know. If people want to cheat and still claim to be a finisher then that's up to them. I just want to get through this as this one is a milestone 70.3 for me and I want to get to a magical number of 70.3's completed.

Been down with flu the last 10 days, so limited prep, will be going of what's left from IMSA

As to weather, that changes daily.  My go to site is https://www.yr.no/place/South_Africa/KwaZulu-Natal/Durban/long.html which has wind picking up after 2pm.... That will be great as will help cool me as I enjoy the beers in the race village ;)

As for drafting, don't think it will be that much of an issue with the longer second loop and guys are just kidding themselves by not self policing and keeping distance.  Anyway, there are more refs on bikes these days, as can be seen at EL and IMSA this year where many spent time in the penalty tents.... so will leave it up to the refs if people can't adhere to the rules themselves.

So not planning to do anything, I race clean and fair as it is me against the course and the conditions!

Race week ladies and gents!!  Enjoy and see you all in Durbs :)

Edited by shaper

attachicon.gifECBB87C0-18D5-4FD8-BE09-FFAF8527A948.jpeg

Prep has gone well. Had the flu 2 weeks ago, but I think it gave my body a much needed break from training after IMSA. Rather undertrained and well rested than overtrained and tired. Looking forward to a good time and some summer days.

Drafting should be better given the new loops. To be honest I don't give it much thought. I focus on my own race and those who want to cheat, well go for it.

Race week and the drive down to Durban, same story for me, have not been in full training mode.

as i am also fighting the dreaded snot nose as i think the hole of Johannesburg is.

had a couple of good training sessions after IMSA and hope i can fall back on that.

as for drafting it is what it is there will always be people drafting in the age grouper times slots 

i think the referees are more strict on the leading guys , but do agree with more motor bikes and less km to cover maybe there will be loads spending time in the penalty tents.

i try and keep to my own race on the bike leg and do not care if people draft ,what drives me insane is the came kazie pilots that over take you on the left when theirs hardly room for a mouse.

save travels to all the hubbers heading down to Durban enjoy and be save out there 

Quick (noob) question.

Sleeves for your top (above elbow). Allowed/not allowed?

Edit. Can't see anything prohibiting it in the race rules.

Edited by Nibali

Been down with flu the last 10 days, so limited prep, will be going of what's left from IMSA

As to weather, that changes daily.  My go to site is https://www.yr.no/place/South_Africa/KwaZulu-Natal/Durban/long.html which has wind picking up after 2pm.... That will be great as will help cool me as I enjoy the beers in the race village ;)

As for drafting, don't think it will be that much of an issue with the longer second loop and guys are just kidding themselves by not self policing and keeping distance.  Anyway, there are more refs on bikes these days, as can be seen at EL and IMSA this year where many spent time in the penalty tents.... so will leave it up to the refs if people can't adhere to the rules themselves.

So not planning to do anything, I race clean and fair as it is me against the course and the conditions!

Race week ladies and gents!!  Enjoy and see you all in Durbs :)

Me too, woke up with a cold Friday the 18th of May. Antibiotics and rest for me the past ten days. Going for a very easy tapering week to keep legs loose, hopefully I will be 100% on race day