Ironman 70.3 Durban

ScottCM

Good luck all!

I'll be on a faraway beach with very different intentions while you all are out earning your stripes.

Try to remember to have fun... especially on the far end of Umhlanga, surely one of the most stunning bike sections in the world.

Enjoy!

• Replies 635
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In theory yes, but I have found that my ankles feel it a day later if I run in those MTB shoes, even if it is only 100m. Rather leave them on the bike and put them on on the side of the road before or after the mount line if you are not comfortable in putting them on while riding. But please o please don't do it where you will obstruct the flow!

Won't be allowed to stop before or after mount line to put on shoes.

Specific mention of it in the Athlete's Guide

Won't be allowed to stop before or after mount line to put on shoes.

Specific mention of it in the Athlete's Guide

You cannot take the shoes off the bike and put them on before the mount line as you are considered still in the transition area.

After the mount line you can do what you want, so can walk/ride 10m, then stop, take shoes off pedal, put on feet and then remount your bike.

Many did this last year and the refs can do nothing to stop you doing it as long as you pull to the side out of the way of other athletes and don't get outside assistance.  You are technically on the bike course and just using up your time in doing so

Just done my last swim, will hit the road tomorrow driving down.  Safe travels all and see you in the swim pens.

If nothing else enjoy your race and good luck all !!

You cannot take the shoes off the bike and put them on before the mount line as you are considered still in the transition area.

After the mount line you can do what you want, so can walk/ride 10m, then stop, take shoes off pedal, put on feet and then remount your bike.

Many did this last year and the refs can do nothing to stop you doing it as long as you pull to the side out of the way of other athletes and don't get outside assistance.  You are technically on the bike course and just using up your time in doing so

Just done my last swim, will hit the road tomorrow driving down.  Safe travels all and see you in the swim pens.

If nothing else enjoy your race and good luck all !!

Understood. Might just go with that option.

Understood. Might just go with that option.

It is actually very easy to mount with shoes attached to your pedals. Tried it a couple of times yesterday, and will definitely be going that route. All I can remember last year was to run with my shoes on, that felt like a kilometer. 

It is actually very easy to mount with shoes attached to your pedals. Tried it a couple of times yesterday, and will definitely be going that route. All I can remember last year was to run with my shoes on, that felt like a kilometer. 

Sworks 6 with BOA and a vet pens in the way....

Sworks 6 with BOA and a vet pens in the way....

Well, maybe not so easy for you :P

Safe travels to everyone and have a great and enjoyable race! Almost done with my work, then it's of to Durban early tomorrow for a 10 day holiday with the family. :clap:

Pre-race workouts and registration done, bags all packed and waiting for transitions to open.

Looks like perfect weather for racing tomorrow... going to be fun!!

Good luck, enjoy your race and have fun!!

AND SO, how was it? I have been waiting for report backs but none have been forthcoming...  :whistling:

Now home and can reflect.

For me swim was average and is generally what I expect, the bike leg in my hastily adapted road bike to tri went well, better than expected if am being honest and probably only lost 10mins to that of being on my tri bike (which was broken just 2 weeks before and unable to find a new frame in time).  Run I smashed and is my 2nd best 70.3 time and a PB at Durbs.

Finished in 5:27, so overall happy with the days work!!

Also hobbled home and was a God day out!

Swim was good while I was swimming, thought I was on pace for a good time, then looked at my watch coming out the water and nope, was slow. But it looks like everyone's swim was slow, as I don't know anyone who went sub 30, so maybe a bit longer than 1.9 but hey.

Transition 1 wasnt as bad as I thought, when I saw it at bike racking on Saturday I thought bloody hell this is gonna be chaos, pretty much 1km long bike racks with not much space to get around anyone. But it turned out to work well for me.

Cycle was great, first 70.3 on a tri bike, man what a difference it makes. Biked what I wanted to bike and loved every moment of the course.

The run. The first half of the run was good. As I got off the bike I worked out I needed a 1:40 run to go sub 5, so I started out at that pace. Was all good until about 9km in. Then the wheels fell off good and proper. I could feel the cramps coming on so had to manage them and it just got slower and slower.

All in all finished in 5:25 and I'm happy with it. Took 1h10 off my EL time from Jan. Will definitely be back next year!

AND SO, how was it? I have been waiting for report backs but none have been forthcoming...  :whistling:

Would say very good overall!

Archived