Water/Pool safety

Bernard Horn

It is not even summer yet,but already there was a tragic drowning in Durban of a little 3 yr old in a half empty pool.At that age they get around pretty quickly and have to be watched all the time especially around water.Please make a point of keeping an eye on the little ones this summer,don't even turn your back on them for a moment.This goes for dams,rivers ,pools and sea

Very important to learn CPR and First Aid.

Teach them to swim at an early age.

If you have a NSRI in your area get them to do a water safety demo at your local school.

Be safe out in the water this summer.

ps.the only time you mix alcohol and water is when you add water to your whisky,drink responsibly

One of the best safety features is to teach children to swim as soon as possible.  If you take them to the right swimming schools the first thing they are taught is how to get themselves out of a pool should they fall in.

Does not mean as a parent you can drop your guards, but should something happen you have that little bit more time to react.

My son nearly drowned when he was two. It was very tragic experience for me; he was floating like a doll on top of the water face down. I jumped in and when I turned him he was all blue in his face........ thankfully we were able to resuscitate him????????

It is not even summer yet,but already there was a tragic drowning in Durban of a little 3 yr old in a half empty pool.At that age they get around pretty quickly and have to be watched all the time especially around water.Please make a point of keeping an eye on the little ones this summer,don't even turn your back on them for a moment.This goes for dams,rivers ,pools and sea

Very important to learn CPR and First Aid.

Teach them to swim at an early age.

If you have a NSRI in your area get them to do a water safety demo at your local school.

Be safe out in the water this summer.

ps.the only time you mix alcohol and water is when you add water to your whisky,drink responsibly

or when you're on a boat!

giphy.gif

As soon as our first was born we put n net over the pool but adult supervision is crucial all the time, net or no net. Isn't it law now to either have a net or fence?

I want to start teaching our toddler to swim but not sure how to go about it. Any techniques to share for teaching them to swim?

As soon as our first was born we put n net over the pool but adult supervision is crucial all the time, net or no net. Isn't it law now to either have a net or fence? -  YES

I want to start teaching our toddler to swim but not sure how to go about it. Any techniques to share for teaching them to swim?

Take her for proper swimming lessons.  I did for both my daughters and they are now exceptionally good swimmers.  What is important to me they are taught survival in water first and then the swimming.

As soon as our first was born we put n net over the pool but adult supervision is crucial all the time, net or no net. Isn't it law now to either have a net or fence?

I would definitely say take them to a swim school that has a registered instructor trained to teach small children to swim. Our girl's first lesson was when she was 6 months old I think.

one of those foam(cheap ) body boards have them just stand with it in water on the steps (with a float jacket obviously) once they are used to that start taking them out in deeper water , let them hang on to the board as you drag it along and encourage to kick after a while they will be comfortable to do this on their own.

After a few more times in the pool start to take the board away once they are pretty confident with all this take the float jacket off and bring the board back pretty soon they will be swimming all on their own.

*I was taught like this when I was 4 and have taught 8 younger cousins the same way  

My lightie is 10 months old and he has been going to swimming lessons for about a month now. Its actually a drown proofing class that flows into actual swimming lessons as he gets older. The nice thing is it's the same instructor from now till he is able to swim properly. He does 1 lesson a week for half an hour. R380 per month. Really not bad at all. He isn't walking yet but is learning to swim. We actually do some extra stuff at home as they get "shy" at the class so the instructor says it's good to practice at home as well. 4 babies in the class and 1 parent is in the pool with the baby. Usually the moms and dads rotate each weekend so it's all dad's or all mom's.

Sent from my LG-H735 using Tapatalk

One of the best safety features is to teach children to swim as soon as possible. If you take them to the right swimming schools the first thing they are taught is how to get themselves out of a pool should they fall in.

Does not mean as a parent you can drop your guards, but should something happen you have that little bit more time to react.

I can not like this enough..

Best thing I could have ever done..those years we took our kids to Learn to swim SA (when they were 18months old). It is so important for them to act on instinct when they fall in. It was tested too, at a family members house their dog walked past my son and bumped him (he was 3 at the time) into the pool before we could get to the pool (we were 5m away) he had turned around in the pool and swam to the side and got out of the pool.

Added at 5 he thought he was a life saver and once dove into the pool after a toddler that had fallen in [emoji85]

I can only agree with what others have said, take your toddler to swimming lessons as they have heated pools so its pleasant for them. My children both went twice a week and it was the best thing ever.  They were both swimming very well from an early age and they love the pool.

We taught our kids to swim from an early age (drown proofing) and also about self-rescue when they think they might be in trouble now that they can swim.

We do not allow them to swim without one of us in attendance and the pool gate latches are too high for them to reach, even with our ladder.

I'm super pedantic about the following rule: YOU NEVER EVER DIVE INTO A POOL, FEET FIRST!. (Broken legs mend, broken necks not)

The golden rule with pools for me with new people at my house; can the child swim, whether yes or no, make sure you keep and eye on your child too!

We taught our kids to swim from an early age (drown proofing) and also about self-rescue when they think they might be in trouble now that they can swim.

We do not allow them to swim without one of us in attendance and the pool gate latches are too high for them to reach, even with our ladder.

I'm super pedantic about the following rule: YOU NEVER EVER DIVE INTO A POOL, FEET FIRST!. (Broken legs mend, broken necks not)

The golden rule with pools for me with new people at my house; can the child swim, whether yes or no, make sure you keep and eye on your child too!

We had a net over our pool.  When visitors came with children the net would stay on and if the children wanted to swim I would only open the pool if at least one adult would dedicated to sit at or in the pool with the children.  Should that person have to move away for some reason the net would be pulled over again.