Upgreading to Carbon Seatpost

Coach Eugene Elliott

Hallo

I own a Scott hardtail and my back hurts when I ride on corrugated roads or long rocky sections. Someone said that a carbon seatpost would help a lot with this pain.

My question to you is, what post would you recommend and what are the main things to look for in a post (e.g. Post flex or offset) 

don't see how that's going to help myself .....

Bikefit ?

Core strength ?

but hell what do I know ..........anyone else ? ^_^

The seatpost itself is not the problem...

Is your set-up correct? What pressure are your tyres? 

Hallo

I own a Scott hardtail and my back hurts when I ride on corrugated roads or long rocky sections. Someone said that a carbon seatpost would help a lot with this pain.

My question to you is, what post would you recommend and what are the main things to look for in a post (e.g. Post flex or offset) 

Only your back that hurts? I would think your butt hurts a lot more!

Per the other posts, look at tyre pressure and bike setup or just bite the bullet and get a Duel Sus!

The seatpost itself is not the problem...

Is your set-up correct? What pressure are your tyres? 

It's not set up, I've done a 250km and nothing but as soon as I hit corrugation my back goes, no matter the distant.

I run my tyres at 2 bar.

I gym 4 times a week so it is also not my core.

I cannot see that a seatpost will make that difference...

Also had this issue way back when i started and the advice i got was core strength and bike fitment... Did that and lower back pain was no more.

Hi

Consider the duel sus suggestion. It is what helped me. But then I am an old fart.

Regards

Sarge

You can fit a 27.2 diameter seatpost with a shim. It will flex a bit. It will become noisy and creak. I know as I used to ride a thinner post hoping it will help.

I also bent a seatpost and broke another before going back to full size posts. Riding home with a water bottle put over the broken post to protect your legs from lacerations are overrated.

The thicker posts are stiffer though and was less comfortable.

Generally lower back pain is due to insufficient core strength. But Don't confuse gym fitness with cycling conditioning.

There is another thread about lower back pain, the suggestion came up to do the plank challenge to strengthen your core, It surely helped me, I can now plank for just more than 2 minutes and during and after the most recent rides, no back pain.

Hi

I have a hardtail and don't have back pain just a sore butt at times!

A while ago when I started cycling I tried the Canecreek Thudbuster LT (Long travel) which is big heavy and ugly but does work but is best for a rear tandem position. It works so well that it can also kinda help you OTP which you don't really want. And everyone looks at your bike and thinks WTF. The ST short travel version may work for you perhaps.

Recently I put on a 27.2mm carbon seatpost with a plastic shim in a 31.6mm seat tube. It does absorb trail vibrations and makes any ride overall a bit more comfy. The best is for sure a full suspension bike. The carbon seatpost just takes enough of the edge off and is light and looks good, as yet I haven't broken it and hope I never do.

Bike fit for sure. Stem length, frame size, saddle position etc.

What do you do at gym? For core do crunches, proper leg raises and plank. If you can do 50 proper leg raises slowly and up to 4 minutes of plank then your core will do the job it needs to do very well. 

Ride a rigid and you'll realize how much worse it COULD be. Then be thankful and go and train your core some more. 1 tsp cement. Htfu

Personally I would be very 'uncomfortable' with using a seatpost as a part of the 'suspension' of my bike .... I mean how much movement should one expect out of something that you desperately don't want to break mid ride  :whistling:

As King_Crispy says either HTFU or go get a damn 'softtail'

Archived