Is Groenkloof Nature Reserve any safer now?

David Messem

There were reports of multiple muggings and incidents in Groenkloof Nature Reserve earlier in the year.

Does anyone know if something was done about it?

I haven't read about any more incidents. Does anyone here frequent the reserve?

Ping RiverRat - He's been on a mission to get the reserve back to its former glory.

I haven't been there in a while but all indications are that it's getting back to where it was. A new perimeter fence has been put up and the perimeter is being patrolled now on an on-going basis.

I have seen reports a while back about the fence being cut in places but that was quick to be repaired. I also understand that was more towards Fountains' side.

Fountains is probably still a no-go but Groenkloof seems to be ok off late. Would I ride there now on a weekend morning? Yes. Would I ride alone there? Probably not quite yet.

David, the last incident in Groenkloof was early May this year, which incidentally coincides with the apprehension of two bike hijackers. We can't be sure if these guys are the only ones that committed the crimes earlier this yer but we have been able to link them to 6 separate crimes, they remain in custody. Nonetheless, the council of Tshwane has committed Metro Police to patrol on a daily basis and to show a presence on Saturday and Sunday mornings during peak hours. I have personally ridden out of peak hours and have noticed Metro and reserve personnel patrols. The only security issue that I know of at the moment is the cutting of the fancy new fence but even this has ceased after someone was caught about 6 weeks ago.

I always hesitate to declare anywhere in SA safe but I do believe that Groenkloof is as safe as it has ever been. Personally I have no problem riding their on my own but I would urge my wife to ride in peak hours i.e. 7-11h00 on weekends. My current focus is shifting to the maintenance of the trials so expected a rougher ride than usual and as Squier said Fountains is still a no go area but watch this space..

Enjoy your ride and let us know how it went.

• 4 months later...

Any updates on safety at Groenkloof?, I heard the fence was fixed? Anybody with some stats? Would love to go there over easter weekend. 

Sorry I missed this but the good news is that there have been no attacks since June last year and the only reported incident that I'm aware of is a car break in. The reserve is picking up with more visitors especially trail runners frequenting the reserve. Trails were in serious need of maintenance which is currently being done. I guess the real answer to your question is that I ride there every weekend sometimes on my own, we're doing a family outing tomorrow at 9:30 if you would like to tag along. But It's as safe as any other MTB park so it's your call.

• 1 month later...

speaking of trails, it the only old functioning DH trail that started by the entrance to the fort still ridable? Because that's too much of fun to give up to trail runners 

speaking of trails, it the only old functioning DH trail that started by the entrance to the fort still ridable? Because that's too much of fun to give up to trail runners

I'm assuming you are referring to the DH trail just left of the entrance to Fort Klapperkop if so it's ironic that the entrance was actually cleaned up for a trail running event a couple of months back. I took the opportunity to scout it and the entrance is fine but the middle section has some drop offs followed by a deep rut that's full of rocks. A very skilled rider should be able to gap it but I'm not that skilled so it was a short walk. The last section is part of the Spookskip se Einde trail which is perfect thanks to the efforts of Mike Behr of Tranquilatas Trails who put his team to work there. It's not going to take too much work to get this trail rideable again although as I've said a really skilled rider should be able to ace it now.

• 7 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

What's the safety and crime situation like at Groenkloof these days? Anybody still ride there often?

Would like to know as well. Thinking of riding there this coming Saturday.

I rode there not too long ago, December sometime, all seemed well with a fair amount of cyclists present. 

Since the Park runs started I think the safety increased a bit.

Rode there alone a week ago .Still a great place .More hikers and runners than cyclists .Some of the trails need maintenance .Mostly cutting of branches  .Lots of staff sitting around or even lying around mid morning .Grass is uncut .The potential is still there ,was there!, for a while .