Rockhox Reba Damping

Chrisjanopsyfiets

I have a Rockshox Reba RL 120mm. Had it for about 18 months now. Lowers have been serviced regularly. All in a very good condition and well maintained. I experience a lot of "road chatter" recently. Fork is not plush as it used to be. It used to "soak" up everything. I picked the line and didnt worry much about minor obstacles...I serviced the damper this wekeend - putting in new oil (Putoline HPX 5wt). Fork was as good as new - soaks up everything, all good.... This lasted about 2 rides. Now it is back to this frustrating state of non performance. I played with the air pressure, damper setting etc etc. Cannot get it sorted. What else should I try?! <frustration>

Thanks in advance for any pearls of wisdom!

don't freak out ok :huh:

but .....,"I serviced the damper this weekend"

could this be a part of the problem maybe .......maybe just maybe you should let a qualified person( not saying you aren't if you work for rockshox...) fiddle instead ... :whistling:

I just take mine to a service center pay a little money and then if it gives hassles its a rockshox problem not my problem  :thumbup:

hope you come right

Edited by bikebloke

Did you only replace the oil or did you replace the dust wipers and foam rings? if not then start again and think about the reason of servicing a fork. you wouldn't change the oil in your car without changing the filter - would you?

I have a Rockshox Reba RL 120mm. Had it for about 18 months now. Lowers have been serviced regularly. All in a very good condition and well maintained. I experience a lot of "road chatter" recently. Fork is not plush as it used to be. It used to "soak" up everything. I picked the line and didnt worry much about minor obstacles...I serviced the damper this wekeend - putting in new oil (Putoline HPX 5wt). Fork was as good as new - soaks up everything, all good.... This lasted about 2 rides. Now it is back to this frustrating state of non performance. I played with the air pressure, damper setting etc etc. Cannot get it sorted. What else should I try?! <frustration>

Thanks in advance for any pearls of wisdom!

don't freak out ok :huh:

but .....,"I serviced the damper this weekend"

could this be a part of the problem maybe .......maybe just maybe you should let a qualified person( not saying you aren't if you work for rockshox...) fiddle instead ... :whistling:

I just take mine to a service center pay a little money and then if it gives hassles its a rockshox problem not my problem  :thumbup:

hope you come right

Man . . . You are there in the Cape . . .  Just take it to Droo at Stoke and be happy. 

Foam rings and dust seals replaced. Spring serviced too. Used Spanjaard's red rubber grease. Oil in lowers replaced using Putoline HPX 15wt. 10ml each leg...

There may be a lekasie in die nasie - there are O-rings on both sides - were these replaced? I full serviced a long since stolen Reba and it worked perfectly afterwards. If you didn't replace some of the service parts eg O-rings, that may be the problem.

Foam rings and dust seals replaced. Spring serviced too. Used Spanjaard's red rubber grease. Oil in lowers replaced using Putoline HPX 15wt. 10ml each leg...

I serviced my lowers (also Reba) 3 weeks ago and pretty sure it's only 5ml oil per leg.... 

Also use Spanjaard rubber grease for what it's worth

Question time, round 2...

Solo air or dual air? And when you compress the fork, is there a large initial breakaway force or does it start moving straight away? Have you noticed the wiper seal on the spring leg starting to pop out? And lastly, when you stripped the fork the first time, was there more bath oil in one leg than in the other?

As an aside, you can use up to 15cc of oil in the lowers, the 5cc that RS specs in the manual I suspect is a weight saving move...

Hi Droo - answer time...!

Solo Air

Wiper Seal did pop out once.

Large initial breakaway force - yes....

I think I know where this is going... Air leaking into the lowers?

Whats the fix?

Solo Air

Whats the fix?

Replace o-rings...........all of them

Solo Air

Whats the fix?

As BA said - replace all seals. Also - make sure everything is surgically clean (the bore can take a bit of work), use lint-free rags or paper towel, and check the stanchion bore, lower seal head glands and spring shaft for wear or scratches.

I've seen leaky springs caused by contamination from all kinds of odd sources. The tiniest piece of lint or leftover paper towel can cause the issue you're describing.