L’Étape South Africa

carbon29er

The route is not that bad if I'm honest. We averaged 26.4km/h with the climb from PMB, the others got 27.6km/h from Fernhill. 

As long as the wind doesn't blow too bad and there a few stronger guys to keep the bunch together and rolling +25km/h is very possible.

Do you plan on having a backup vehicle? 

If it's hot it's a must due to water availability and an added safety bonus. 

Cool, will be good if you can join us and get a few more guys.

No backup vehicle at this stage, will see if I can get someone to drive my vehicle.

On the parking, I have spoken to Fernhill and they made arrangements for us to get in early.

• Replies 930
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Spoke and his buddies can only come if they ride their mtbs. :wacko:

Hahaha, contrary to popular belief we don't always ride fast. :whistling:

Cool, will be good if you can join us and get a few more guys.

No backup vehicle at this stage, will see if I can get someone to drive my vehicle.

On the parking, I have spoken to Fernhill and they made arrangements for us to get in early.

I'll see what I can do.

I will see what our club plans are and maybe we can use our backup vehicle and driver.

I'll see what I can do.

I will see what our club plans are and maybe we can use our backup vehicle and driver.

will be great if you can, we'll contibute to the costs.

will be great if you can, we'll contibute to the costs.

Great that what we did last time, everyone chips in 50 bucks to cover fuel, driver, snacks and drinks. will also ask the guys who organized the first pre ride.

Great that what we did last time, everyone chips in 50 bucks to cover fuel, driver, snacks and drinks. will also ask the guys who organized the first pre ride.

A buddy and I are dead keen to come up from Durbs to ride this.

Both more than happy to contribute to the vehicle costs.

Hey guys, I was behind the Vertical Spaces recon of the LÉtape route - we went thru in excess of 100l of liquid and several dozen muffins,donuts.

With the wind that's been pretty consistent out here lately, I'd suggest the at a back up vehicle and refreshments of sorts would be more than handy. Sure, the route is not as difficult as it could be, but with wind and heat thrown in, without back up, it's going to be a sufferfest, and bare in mind that there'll be no race organizer to lame for it(tic)

Will spread the word on our club Facebook page 'Vertical Spaces', and see if we can get some guys to join the party - would need start time confirmed and who's captaining the ride. I gather from WCCC

Will hook up as well

Forecast says stiff NE and 35 degrees (and very high UV index).

I don't ride in the heat as much as possible (which is why I normally start my rides at 3am, sometimes even 2am). 

So if it's going to be that hot, I'm most likely pulling out I'm afraid, and do a solo night ride instead.

I don't ride in the heat as much as possible (which is why I normally start my rides at 3am, sometimes even 2am). 

So if it's going to be that hot, I'm most likely pulling out I'm afraid, and do a solo night ride instead.

:( Come for the tan.  Plus there is nothing like a combination of heat and altitude training for a challenge :thumbup:

Edited by blondeonabike

Assuming you are taking part in the event?

Would it not be good practice to train in these conditions, or is it cooler at that time of the year? 6 weeks, and what's left of this week, to go.

Would it not be good practice to train in these conditions, or is it cooler at that time of the year? 6 weeks, and what's left of this week, to go.

6 weeks.. yoh that's nothing

Ha thanks to my unwillingness to get up early I have done plenty heat training the last few months[emoji12]

Are you joining us this weekend?

6 weeks.. yoh that's nothing

Just entered (or rather paid)... my team mates still need to enter, and we still need to finalise our team lineup - wannabe racing team and a more social-have-fun-on-the-bike team.

Where did you see this Tom ?

I just checked Windguru and Accuweather and both showing it to be a "decent" day.