L’Étape South Africa

carbon29er

As a licensed rider I'm out if they don't sort this mess out.

If that happens, I'll plan my own big ride out in the Valley of Thousand Hills or similar.

Others in a similar situation as me who still want a nice epic day out, please join me!

And the roads are very quiete down there, few cars. So those folks who don't want to race on a busy & dodgy road, you're welcome too.

Please tell me that is an exaggeration. Please

• Replies 930
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have ridden there twice now and the roads were pretty calm. The only busy section was going past Mooirivier. So not sure about it being that busy...

Ok 'busy' is relatively speaking. Compared to JHB roads: wonderful. Compared to the Valley: busy. It is right in the middle of the very popular Midlands Meander after all so without closure you're going to be dealing with traffic.

And yes, only a section of the route is poor. Much of it is excellent.

So I don't know if that was an exaggeration. But the Valley still knocks the socks off the Letape route. Awe inspiring stuff.

Anyway, just a suggestion :)

We need to compare "natal traffic" to "jhb traffic" :whistling: A midlands traffic jam is a sunday doddle for gautengers.

Yip, what I said :)

The majority of the route is out on Kamberg road. If we see 10 cars out there at the most it's a lot. I've ridden notties many many times without any worries.there are a few sections with narrow parts around rosette but I've found drivers and even the few trucks very mindful. With the awareness of a race on the go I would expect even more so.

The majority of the route is out on Kamberg road. If we see 10 cars out there at the most it's a lot. I've ridden notties many many times without any worries.there are a few sections with narrow parts around rosette but I've found drivers and even the few trucks very mindful. With the awareness of a race on the go I would expect even more so.

How is it during school holidays..L'Etape weekend is the first weekend of school holidays?

Anyone know of the road surface has been fixed?

Sub contractors are in the process of patching the road. A lot of holes have been patched. Some to go.

How is it during school holidays..L'Etape weekend is the first weekend of school holidays?

Most cars causing problems on the Kamberg road are from out of town. Local vehicles including taxis and big trucks are pretty considerate. Road is busier on the weekend but really not a big deal. ( just to clarify my comments , I live/farm and ride on the Kamberg road ).

Sub contractors are in the process of patching the road. A lot of holes have been patched. Some to go.

Most cars causing problems on the Kamberg road are from out of town. Local vehicles including taxis and big trucks are pretty considerate. Road is busier on the weekend but really not a big deal. ( just to clarify my comments , I live/farm and ride on the Kamberg road ).

Cool thx..

Are you that guys that does regular rides to pmburg from kamberg on your mtb and leaves the roadies panting in your wake?

Are you that guys that does regular rides to pmburg from kamberg on your mtb and leaves the roadies panting in your wake?

Ride to Pmb sometimes. Normally on the road bike ( which is my first love ) but ride mtb sometimes too. There a couple of strong guys who live here in the mountains.

I have no skin in the game, as i am not doing the race. But, I have been watching the thread with keen interest since its inception, following the investment of time, excitement effort and training - most notably Gen's but others too. Its a real pity that what is ultimately being delivered does not match the advertised hype. Piss poor on the organizer's part imho.

Can anyone help a guy out who doesnt know KZN well:

Where could my mate at lets say the 90-120km mark stand to watch the race and possible give me with a fresh water bottle or two :)

As a licensed rider I'm out if they don't sort this mess out.

If that happens, I'll plan my own big ride out in the Valley of Thousand Hills or similar.

Others in a similar situation as me who still want a nice epic day out, please join me!

And the roads are very quiete down there, few cars. So those folks who don't want to race on a busy & dodgy road, you're welcome too.

Are you going to ride a road bike in the valley?