L’Étape South Africa

carbon29er

Lidgetton is not far,it will be an easy roll to the start, however you will need to climb back up happy hill afterwards.  Maybe when you arrive take a quick drive and decide for yourself :)

"Uphill" and "afterwards" - EISH. Mentally I am weak.

Edited by TALUS

• Replies 930
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Why are licensed riders not allowed to compete if the event isn't CSA sanctioned?

Can't you just do it as a open rider just for the fun of it?

CSA rules - can have license revoked if you take part.

As a licensed rider I will be requesting a refund, given that the race organisers have breached their side of the agreement by not delivering a CSA sanctioned event.

Since you know the area well - I am staying at Clydesdale on Lions River. Is cycling to and from the start and finish realistic? Thx for any info.

Its up a dirt road. Lekker steep.

Corner Post has closed down. Its for sale if you interested.

I would park at Piggly and try get there early. Lots of parking at Mandela but it would mean getting back on your bike and riding back up.(not nice after 160k). st ives is across the road and also has lots of parking.

No!! 

Perhaps St. Ives is a good option. 

I seriously doubt CSA have the man power or the interest to action that rule , it's now a fun ride with paid accommodation etc . Just ride it for the jol and have a drink with your mates  

As a licensed rider I will be requesting a refund, given that the race organisers have breached their side of the agreement by not delivering a CSA sanctioned event.

Let's see what happens at the "high level meeting". 

To save on speculation, the chair of KZN Cycling has confirmed that there will be no sanction for licensed riders participating in LETape, due to them entering under the premise that CSA had already rubber stamped the event.

The organizers have released a brief statement, saying that they are in the process of gathering the requisite documents etc for compliance.

I am of the opinion that CSA has made the correct call.

To promise full road closure in the Midlands, for a day, is a tall order! To shut the Midlands down from Mooi River to Dargle is highly unlikely

Hey wtf gaan nou aan

One of the reasons I entered was full road closures, is that now not happening?

Hey wtf gaan nou aan

One of the reasons I entered was full road closures, is that now not happening?

Gen, it is highly unlikely that any event on this route will achieve full road closure. The Midmar - Notts race has tried for years to get road closure of the R103 without success (even with accidents occurring). The R103 road from Mooi River, through Rosetta to Notties is the only alternative to the N3 which is tolled so the road officials are highly unlikely to allow partial closure, never mind full road closure. Lots of HGV avoiding the toll on that road too.

Only applicable to licensed participants, or those that entered as such?

No, it's not - it affects anyone that holds a licence, like 9 of our members taking part in the team competition.

Why are licensed riders not allowed to compete if the event isn't CSA sanctioned?

Can't you just do it as a open rider just for the fun of it?

1.2.019 No licence holder may participate in an event that has not been included on a national, continental or world calendar or that has not been recognised by a national federation, a continental confederation or the UCI.

Depending on the circumstances, a national federation and the UCI may grant special exceptions for particular races or events run in its own country.

Particular races or events may consist of:

Events organised occasionally only and which do not belong to the organised sports movement;

Events whose format is not covered by the UCI regulations.
Any national federation intending to grant a special exception must submit its reasoned request to the UCI administration in the beginning of the season and at least two months before the respective event. The decision of the UCI in this respect is final and shall not be subject to appeal.

CSA rules, yes - but's it's actually a UCI rule that CSA have to enforce.

No, it's not - it affects anyone that holds a licence, like 9 of our members taking part in the team competition.

1.2.019 No licence holder may participate in an event that has not been included on a national, continental or world calendar or that has not been recognised by a national federation, a continental confederation or the UCI.

Depending on the circumstances, a national federation and the UCI may grant special exceptions for particular races or events run in its own country.

Particular races or events may consist of:

Events organised occasionally only and which do not belong to the organised sports movement;

Events whose format is not covered by the UCI regulations.
Any national federation intending to grant a special exception must submit its reasoned request to the UCI administration in the beginning of the season and at least two months before the respective event. The decision of the UCI in this respect is final and shall not be subject to appeal.

CSA rules, yes - but's it's actually a UCI rule that CSA have to enforce.

As someone that has organised races before Gerald, shouldn't the organisers have been quite far down the road in terms of the CSA requirements, if not even completed them, before taking entry fees?

I'm actually quite irked by this, it's kinda like entering into an agreement before you are sure that you can deliver on your responsibilities .... and the race entry of R990 was certainly not immaterial.

Edited by rattlesnake

As far as road closure, or lack thereof, the MalutiD90 was held with open roads. At one point there were teams passing teams passing teams passing more teams.

Not once did I feel unsafe. Our team kept left when we needed to, and passed safely when we had to. I expect the team I'm riding with the apply the same savvy, and treat the event like we do all our rides - looking after each other.

I also checked my insurance policy linked to bike I ride on the day - the accident injury payout is only applicable for official events. Luckily they aren't my medical aid, so I'm not really concerned about my own cover. I just hope the organisers have their liability insurance in place, as that is supposed to cover everyone involved at the event.

As someone that has organised races before Gerald, shouldn't the organisers have been quite far down the road in terms of the CSA requirements, if not even completed them, before taking entry fees?

Yes, absolutely.

I also checked my insurance policy linked to bike I ride on the day - the accident injury payout is only applicable for official events. Luckily they aren't my medical aid, so I'm not really concerned about my own cover. I just hope the organisers have their liability insurance in place, as that is supposed to cover everyone involved at the event.

According to the website it is and will be furnished upon request. For anyone still thinking of taking part I would insist on seeing the policy confirmation.

According to the website it is and will be furnished upon request. For anyone still thinking of taking part I would insist on seeing the policy confirmation.

To eloborate, the insurance is liability and not to claim for any injuries sustained while riding.

Assume a participant causes a crash, then the event insurance is supposed to protect that person against claims from anyone else injured as a result of the crash.

Or another example - assume someone from outside the event is injured which was caused by an organiser/marshal/participant's actions, then that liability insurance is supposed to take care of their claim.

Gen, it is highly unlikely that any event on this route will achieve full road closure. The Midmar - Notts race has tried for years to get road closure of the R103 without success (even with accidents occurring). The R103 road from Mooi River, through Rosetta to Notties is the only alternative to the N3 which is tolled so the road officials are highly unlikely to allow partial closure, never mind full road closure. Lots of HGV avoiding the toll on that road too.

They advertised full road closures when I entered.. it's why I entered.[emoji53]

Starting to think of should just go play in the Howick trails instead.

Edited by Gen