The Classics

'Dale

Anna van der Breggen to make it 6 in a row? In the rainbow stripes. I sure hope so.

I hear she’s calling it a day for road racing next year.

• Replies 7.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2021 will be her last season before taking up a DS position with whatever Boels Dolmans get called as of next year.

2021 will be her last season before taking up a DS position with whatever Boels Dolmans get called as of next year.

Yeah, I hope she rides next year still. I mean it's not like she can lose anything at the moment.

:(

The latest measures now throw into doubt the upcoming Amstel Gold Race, scheduled for Saturday, October 10. The race is held in the same region as Sittard, with the finish in Valkenburg, only 20km away. The Dutch time trial Championships, set for October 7, were cancelled earlier on Tuesday

"It is not yet certain whether it will continue," Amstel Gold Race organiser Leo Van Vliet told Sporza. "It's very exciting, we've been having conversations all day long."

"It looked good nonetheless. We submitted our plans last week, both at the UCI and at national and local level. It looked like everything would be approved, but yesterday's tightening has put everything in jeopardy again.

"The decision is in the hands of the 'Security Region'. They have to take the plunge. We can only do our very best to make everything as safe as possible. When the decision will be made, I don't know at the moment. week, otherwise it will be very difficult for us anyway.

"Plan A has been off the table for a long time, plan B too. We are already working on plan C, so to speak."

Yeah, I hope she rides next year still. I mean it's not like she can lose anything at the moment.

When I read the press release the team had it confirmed that she will be racing in 2021 and then start being a DS as of 2022. Chantel Van der Broek Blaak is doing the same only she ends her racing in 2022 and starting as a DS in 2023.

Glad Ashleigh is joining this particular team. They just generally seem to be that bit better at getting the best out of the riders on their roster!

When I read the press release the team had it confirmed that she will be racing in 2021 and then start being a DS as of 2022. Chantel Van der Broek Blaak is doing the same only she ends her racing in 2022 and starting as a DS in 2023.

Glad Ashleigh is joining this particular team. They just generally seem to be that bit better at getting the best out of the riders on their roster!

The Cycling Podcast (woman’s edition) mentions her retirement next year - can only assume they meant to say she’ll be racing in the rainbow hoops for one more year.

The Cycling Podcast (woman’s edition) mentions her retirement next year - can only assume they meant to say she’ll be racing in the rainbow hoops for one more year.

Yeah if Anna goes through with her decision then her last year of racing will be in the rainbow hoops. I will see if I can find the press release regarding both Anna and Chantel. 

Edit: Anna will definitely retire at the end of 2021 as per the article below, so yes she has the hoops for her final season of racing. Couldn't find the actual press release but that was at the beginning of the year sometime iirc but there is a link and it is mentioned in this article.

https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/van-der-breggen-not-reconsidering-retirement-after-worlds-double/

Edited by Mntboy

I only recently started paying an interest in the ladies racing, thanks mostly to Orla Chennaoui being part of the Cycling Podcast. I am starting to understand their gripe about the lack of live coverage.

Ashleigh in a solid 6th.

On a side note, our poster girl (Puck) - yet another DNF. The mind boggles as to why she even gets chosen to start. 3 races and 3 DNF's.

Fond's I wouldn't be too surprised if she's (Puck) selected partly due to her IG following (ie she's very marketable regardless results) and you may find that she has certain domestique duties required of her that she has fulfilled by the time she drops out of a race. So in that respect her dropping out would be ok. I do however know that this does bug her as well and she is working on it. Hopefully soon we won't be seeing a DNF against her name. Edited by Mntboy