Attakwas 2017

Wil6

So who is doing the Attakwas in 2017? 

This will be my first one. Really looking forward to it, and from what I've heard it's a tough one!

Please share some tips!

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Do the hard yards now (or already).

Trying to lose the Christmas pies as well as 'get fit enough' is just a recipe for a very tough day out.

I am giving this year a skip. Going to Up The Creek instead.

If you go there fit and don't go out too hard you will be absolutely fine.

It is a super rad race unless you bonk. Then it is just a dark place with seemingly no light

Edited by Jewbacca

Remember Pine Creek Caravan Park, finishing grounds for the long one and starting grounds for the shorter one. Nice campsites, warm showers and nice outing for the family available.

Tel 0446202434

Edited by BSG

• 2 weeks later...

Do the hard yards now (or already).

Trying to lose the Christmas pies as well as 'get fit enough' is just a recipe for a very tough day out.

I am giving this year a skip. Going to Up The Creek instead.

If you go there fit and don't go out too hard you will be absolutely fine.

It is a super rad race unless you bonk. Then it is just a dark place with seemingly no light

Thanks. Base training done and doing 12-14 training hours per week at the moment, with hill repeats and some 20min Tempo intervals. 

Edited by Wil6

Do long hard training rides to prep. Do plenty hill training. There will be at least 5 walks. Most of the tough stuff is in the first half. The second half is mostly dirt roads and rolling hills.

No. 5 coming up for me. Always manage to make a complete mess of this race. Lets hope we can get it right in 2017.

Don't underestimate the last 40km. It is mostly dirt roads but there's still plenty climbing and you're tired and its normally into the wind.

Thanks. Base training one and doing 12-14 hour training hours per week now, with hill repeats and some 20min Tempo intervals. 

Don't underestimate the last 40km. It is mostly dirt roads but there's still plenty climbing and you're tired and its normally into the wind.

Wil6 with that amount of training I assume you are looking to do a fast time and not just to survive.

The one thing I learned the hard way from my one & only Atta is wat jcza is saying above. I was fairly fit but my regular training rides of 2 - 4 hours didn't prepare me for that last 40km and I suffered big. This December I will try to get a few 5 - 6 hour training rides done(with some wind & climbs in the second half). 

In my case many hours training a week did not make up for not doing those very long rides. (which i hate)

Wil6 with that amount of training I assume you are looking to do a fast time and not just to survive.

The one thing I learned the hard way from my one & only Atta is wat jcza is saying above. I was fairly fit but my regular training rides of 2 - 4 hours didn't prepare me for that last 40km and I suffered big. This December I will try to get a few 5 - 6 hour training rides done(with some wind & climbs in the second half). 

In my case many hours training a week did not make up for not doing those very long rides. (which i hate)

Thanks for the advise. Planning at least three 5-6 hours training rides this holiday. And lots of hill training. Not going to focus too much on short fast intervals, and more on long intervals. Looking for a sub 7 in the Atta

Thanks for the advise. Planning at least three 5-6 hours training rides this holiday. And lots of hill training. Not going to focus too much on short fast intervals, and more on long intervals. Looking for a sub 7 in the Atta

I averaged about 12 hours a week over December and came within a few minutes of a Sub-7, in hindsight the hours per week were sufficient but I probably should have done fewer but longer rides. Good luck!

I averaged about 12 hours a week over December and came within a few minutes of a Sub-7, in hindsight the hours per week were sufficient but I probably should have done fewer but longer rides. Good luck!

Thanks man! But anything can happen on the day. 

Atta 2017 mini start and finish as well as long Atta finish. Pine Creek Caravan Park for tent accommodation 0446202434

My 2nd one this year . No 1 was everything they warned me about. If you're a back marker like me don't waste too much time at waterpoints. They are nice.

There is a very steep climb up to WP 5. And then another almost just like it right after . So if you're doing 12km/h you are still one hour away from the finish.  Leave WP 5 with more than 60 minutes in hand

Edited by Blokman

Thanks. Base training done and doing 12-14 training hours per week at the moment, with hill repeats and some 20min Tempo intervals.

shoo, what's the goal gonna be Timewise?

shoo, what's the goal gonna be Timewise?

Really don't know what to expect, but aiming for sub 7, but sub 8 I will also be happy with