Clicking and Ratchet Noise when Pedaling

Joedup

Try removing pedals , add a touch of grease onto thread and tighten . Worked like a charm for click on my shimano pedals

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just remember the pedals are reverse threaded.

Easiest way to remember which way to loosen, it is always to the front of the bike on both sides. 

Another tip, put your chain in the big ring, should your tool / spanner slip, the chain is a lot more forgiving than a sharp chain ring. Alternatively, throw a rag over it to protect your hands.

Might just be worth your while to check that all the chain ring bolts are tightened, they are prone to cause an annoying click.

Edited by Wannabe

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just remember the pedals are reverse threaded.

Easiest way to remember which way to loosen, it is always to the front of the bike on both sides. 

Another tip, put your chain in the big ring, should your tool / spanner slip, the chain is a lot more forgiving than a sharp chain ring. Alternatively, throw a rag over it to protect your hands.

Might just be worth your while to check that all the chain ring bolts are tightened, they are prone to cause an annoying click.

Thank you.  The more I'm reading up it looks like it could be Chain Ring Bolts.

I'll go have a look this afternoon.

Thanks again for all the friendly advice

Edited by Joedup

Status Update so far...

I removed the pedals, greased them and still have the click.  I've also washed all components and de-greased the chain but the problem persists.

I've pinpointed the click to my applying downward pressure when pedaling.  Almost as if the entire crank may be moving due to excessive force on it?!?  Next up I'll try looking at that maybe?  When pedaling with no force being applied or when pedaling fast in lower gears / downhill the sound is also gone.  So definitely relating to me exerting downward force. 

It does seem though that the "ratchet-like" sound on the left is gone though.

If it's a new bike take it back to the bike shop and let them sort it out.

Agree with this ^

I'm actually thinking that is the way to go. It's not even 2 months old and I don't feel comfortable taking components apart and trying to troubleshoot.

Thanks for all the assistance guys, I will most likely do exactly that.  

I'm actually thinking that is the way to go. It's not even 2 months old and I don't feel comfortable taking components apart and trying to troubleshoot.

Thanks for all the assistance guys, I will most likely do exactly that.

Please update us on the outcome

Another sound that's pedal-related is your seatpost.... doubt that's the case here, but the motion from pedaling can cause a clicking on the post. vile words and a bit of hairloss can attest to this.

good luck with your noise though!  :clap:

Try the cassette. This can also creak. Remove and clean very thoroughly, light grease and put back together.

If you have greased everything that can be greased, then something somewhere is cracked. Try swap wheels with a mate and ride, it will eliminate the wheels, axle, cassette as a source of the problem.

I had a massive creak once, it turned out the axle was cracked right through into two pieces. I noticed the creak got better when the quick release skewer was tightened very tight.

Did you check your chainring bolts?

Hi Wannabe

Embarrassed to say this... but no.  I couldn't get to them.  Turns out I need to go stock up on very specific tools in order to take the bike apart.  My normal Tool set didn't have the 12.5(?) Socket I needed it seems...  

Try the cassette. This can also creak. Remove and clean very thoroughly, light grease and put back together.

If you have greased everything that can be greased, then something somewhere is cracked. Try swap wheels with a mate and ride, it will eliminate the wheels, axle, cassette as a source of the problem.

I had a massive creak once, it turned out the axle was cracked right through into two pieces. I noticed the creak got better when the quick release skewer was tightened very tight.

Thanks Martin...  Honestly thinking of following the advice of just taking it in to the shop where I bought it.  Bike is 2 months old...  

I'm definitely not confident yet in taking all the components apart.

Hi Wannabe

Embarrassed to say this... but no.  I couldn't get to them.  Turns out I need to go stock up on very specific tools in order to take the bike apart.  My normal Tool set didn't have the 12.5(?) Socket I needed it seems...  

Before spending money / time on anything else, do this first. Even if you must take it to the LBS to help you. 

Can almost guarantee you that this is where your click hides. :whistling:  

Thanks Martin...  Honestly thinking of following the advice of just taking it in to the shop where I bought it.  Bike is 2 months old...  

I'm definitely not confident yet in taking all the components apart.

DIY often turns into Destroy it Yourself, I can vouch for this personally.

My non-drive side BB bearing was making a "ratchet" kind of noise this morning. First thing I checked was the left crank and it had a tiny bit of play from side to side. I just loosened the crack bolts to tighten the plastic pre-load cap. Problem solved.

Edited by Christofison