Clicking and Ratchet Noise when Pedaling

Joedup

Hey everyone, just thought I'd give you an update.

Took the bike into the Shop to have a look.  Turned out my BB was completely full of dirt and seized up so had to be replaced.  R200 later for a new BB + a minor service, and all sorted. Kinda glad now I didn't take it completely apart myself....

Thank you to each and everyone of you for the comments, suggestions and assistance.  Really appreciate it!  Was awesome getting such support!

Thanks

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey everyone, just thought I'd give you an update.

Took the bike into the Shop to have a look. Turned out my BB was completely full of dirt and seized up so had to be replaced. R200 later for a new BB + a minor service, and all sorted. Kinda glad now I didn't take it completely apart myself....

Thank you to each and everyone of you for the comments, suggestions and assistance. Really appreciate it! Was awesome getting such support!

Thanks

Glad you're sorted and didn't cost you too much.

Make sure you don't use high pressure hoses around any bearings when you wash your bike

(I'm not saying thats what you did...)

Non-drive side BB bearing often tends to go first. I don't know if it is because the force applied aren't transferred as directly through the drivetrain or if it because it it more exposed to dirt.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

• 5 years later...

Didn’t feel like creating a new thread 

Same problem. 

Started on Monday. Couple of muddy rides and a couple of bike washes and now I have a click I cant find. 

It appears at random. Click on right and left of bike can be heard from the BB area. Normally about 10km into a ride  

If I pedal backwards and then continue pedaling or stop and start again the noise is gone. I can feel the click through my feet. 

What I’ve done so far

- new bb (threaded)

- rear hub bearings replaced 

- pedals serviced (flats)

- new chainring

- new chain

- freehub / prawl service carried out 

- cassette removed, cleaned, and reinstalled with thin layer of grease 

Next to check would be seat and seatpost but I doubt I would feel it in the pedals. 

Will swop out pedals for my next ride to narrow it down even further. I have had creaking in the left pedal a few times and a regrease of the axle takes it away for a while. 

Help!

Edited by Steady Spin

I've got the same issue on a carbon frame with press fit BB. Easiest for me is to remove the  bearings and re-apply that carbon sticky paste, put the bearings back in and it's sorted

34 minutes ago, Steady Spin said:

Same problem. 

Started on Monday. Couple of muddy rides and a couple of bike washes and now I have a click I cant find. 

It appears at random. Click on right and left of bike can be heard from the BB area. Normally about 10km into a ride  

If I pedal backwards and then continue pedaling or stop and start again the noise is gone. I can feel the click through my feet. 

What I’ve done so far

- new bb (threaded)

- new chainring

- new chain

Next to check would be seat and seatpost but I doubt I would feel it in the pedals. 

Will swop out pedals for my next ride to narrow it down even further. I have had creaking in the left pedal a few times and a regrease of the axle takes it away for a while. 

Help!

thicker socks?

seriously, the pedal seems like a likely culprit. 

35 minutes ago, Steady Spin said:

Same problem. 

What I’ve done so far

- new bb (threaded)

- new chainring

- new chain

Help!

I had a similar problem on my mtb. I checked every thing I could, took it to the bike shop and same reply. They could not find anything. 

In the middle of the night, I had an apiphany. 2am, went to my bike and checked under the saddle. There it was, a big crack. 

New saddle and problem solved. 

Don't write off saddle and seat post issues

A dud pedal had me running in circles, servicing one thing after the other ....

Re-serviced the pedal ... lasted a few weeks.

Replaced the pedals, a year later the bike is perfect.

But you know anyone of the items you had already serviced are equally likely causes ....

Please let us know what it was

11 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

A dud pedal had me running in circles, servicing one thing after the other ....

Re-serviced the pedal ... lasted a few weeks.

Replaced the pedals, a year later the bike is perfect.

But you know anyone of the items you had already serviced are equally likely causes ....

Please let us know what it was

Will swop the pedals from the IDT on tomorrow and test. 

If it is indeed that then OneUp is getting a shoebox full of my dog’s finest. Will be the second set failing in less than a year. 

And I thought Crankbrothers made bad pedals. 

1 hour ago, Steady Spin said:

Same problem. 

What I’ve done so far

- new bb (threaded)

- new chainring

- new chain

Help!

Maybe time for a new bike....😂

It's quite simple had a click problem on my road bike.

Swore it was the pedal - not so.

The nuts that you attach your cleats to on the shoe was loose and sliding forward and backward. 😀