Clicking and Ratchet Noise when Pedaling

Joedup

I'm only asking as from time to time I've had (new) disc rotors that make a ratcheting sound when I brake. Had it on front and rear. Would be when touching the pads as load is applied....It's probably a stretch...😀

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Let them check your whole wheel, i.e. spoke tension, loose nipples, bearings in the freehub.

I know the bearings in my freehub weren't pressed in incorrectly (insufficiently), and the spacer between the two bearings was moving around inside. Once pressed in place, properly, and the grease applied, the noise stopped. The assembly was also done incorrectly.

55 minutes ago, Frosty said:

Let them check your whole wheel, i.e. spoke tension, loose nipples, bearings in the freehub.

I know the bearings in my freehub weren't pressed in incorrectly (insufficiently), and the spacer between the two bearings was moving around inside. Once pressed in place, properly, and the grease applied, the noise stopped. The assembly was also done incorrectly.

Had the bearings checked and replaced end of December. All good on that front  

Went through each spoke in the last week and cleaned between where they cross and checked tension. Spokes won’t resonate into the pedal axle though. 

In a last effort the wheel went to the lbs to check. They cleaned the freehub and adjusted the pawl and springs. The consensus is that the pawls aren’t engaging properly.

Made a difference but not enough to completely take it away.

I noticed over the past few rides that the wonderful ziiiiing from the Lyne High Engagement hub getting more and more faint.

Starting to make sense. Emailed Dayle to see if I can order only the pawls and springs or if a whole freehub body will be needed. 

3000km… expected better.  

2 hours ago, Steady Spin said:

and…. new freehub fixed the noise. 

9km road test in various gears and speeds confirms it. 

Glad you managed to sort your issue out!

I had the exact same issue on my Industry 9 Torch hub, took me ages to identify where the sound was coming from!I also initially thought it was my BB and checked all the bearings which had been recently serviced, I eventually isolated it to the rear hub after swapping out wheels, recommendation from 2x LBS was that the cause was the freehub and that it needed to be replaced! I managed to find a used freehub, but the issue persisted and eventually the hub "seized" in that it wouldn't rotate without a lot of force/friction whilst giving off a horrendous grinding sound! I subsequently managed to source and buy a new freehub at a cool R2900 (20% more expensive than a complete Lyne hub🥲) from the new agents, only for that clicking/grinding noise to still be there to a much lesser extent on! I subsequently took it off and bought a new Lyne hub in the meantime so I could continue riding! It was frustrating not knowing what was wrong especially as I had just purchased the new freehub at considerable cost!

I eventually managed to get around to taking the complete hub to Stoke Suspension this week, who within seconds identified that the drive ring had cracked and was causing the issue! They're now assisting in sourcing a new drive ring and the special tool required to remove and install the new drive ring!

Edited by Bjorn881