Clicking and Ratchet Noise when Pedaling

Joedup

2 minutes ago, Steady Spin said:

Thanks man

Only problem is I have a HG freehub so for now I’m limited to Sunrace or SRAM NX 12 speed cassette. 

Microspline is also not available for my hub so I guess it is XD driver and GX cassette. I can’t wait 20 to 30 days for a Garbaruk cassette to arrive. 

No issue with NX, unless you looking to save grams.

Sram xd and gx going to cost you alot more rands, get nx for now and then order the garbaruk

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Or just bin the 12 speed stuff.

I did. It was junk. 

I now have 1 x mtb with XT 11 speed, 1 x XT 10 speed and a road BMX with 1 x 9 speed and a proper zooty road bike with 2x11.

Not a moments issue, no resetting the gears every 1.5 rides, no chain issues, no expensive parts, no freehub issues...... 

Gear range of 11-50 with a 34 on the big bike, a 34 and 11-46 cassette on the 20 inch dual suss..

I'm plenty covered with no issues. Needing the latest and greatest and an extra gear all the time is where it all starts going wrong!!!! 🙊 

Too far invested in the 12 speed already. Can afford the NX cassette but not a whole drivetrain. 

The lady’s bike runs NX/GX 12 speed with zero issues ever. I just got a dud cassette from Sunrace. 

Off to the shops tomorrow I guess. 

12 hours ago, Steady Spin said:

Thanks man

Only problem is I have a HG freehub so for now I’m limited to Sunrace or SRAM NX 12 speed cassette. 

Microspline is also not available for my hub so I guess it is XD driver and GX cassette. I can’t wait 20 to 30 days for a Garbaruk cassette to arrive. 

Also glad you got it sorted, one more reason to dislike Sunrace cassettes.  Let get those Garbaruk's in the new year ...  :)

17 hours ago, Prince Albert Cycles said:

Another cause could be spokes moving where they overlap .

absolutely...get an oily toothbrush and rub in between where they overlap...

It is NOT the cassette. 🤬

Definitely coming from the rear wheel. 

Time to strip down the derailleur and see it isnt there. Clutch off didnt make a difference. 

Again: 🤬🤬🤬🤬

I had a similar issue last weekend, took it to the LBS and I turned out to be a bent rear axle. I noticed the play in the rear wheel and suspected the bearings. They fixed it in 30 minutes and it cost me only R150. 

I’m suspecting more and more that my freehub is dying though. 

The noise will be “clack,clack,clack” with every pedal stroke left and right. 

Seens to happen across the middle of the cassette only. 

Once I coast or pedal back it will go away. 

My fiance was riding next to me and heard it coming from the rear wheel. 

Almost sounds like single speed with too much tension in the chain. I’ll try record it next time. 

It’s not the CSU though. I would pick that up when descending. Apart from this specific noise my bike is dead quiet on the trail.

It only happens while pedaling on flat or uphill with pressure on the pedals. Mostly on smooth surfaces where the fork is doing nothing.

From the video shared the fork needs to flex or move a bit for it to click.  

Is the tick in sync with your crank being in the same position, or does the frequency increase with speed?