Introducing the Newlands Forest to Constantia Nek mountain bike trail

Bike Hub Features

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Howard :thumbup: . Was looking for this post from Facebook, glad you knew where to find it.. it was yours after-all . ;)

Howzit yes on my facebook page ...Tokai Mountainbike and Trail news

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1522508718004244/

We added part of the Newlands section onto out evening greenbelt ride ...That climb from Southern cross drive gate was a bit of a surprise ,will try get onto the Tokai trails on Sunday.

Edited by HowardSteele

My wife and I duly coughed for annual permits on Tuesday and then rode the section from the Neck to Rhodes mem yesterday.

The section in K Bosch is particularly lovely. It was surreal riding our bikes through an area we have previously walked through so many times. The section towards the NF end of the trail particularly good with the mountain looming close.

Newlands Forest is also fun and has some proper rock gardens in it. Don't expect a friendly reception - the dog parents we encountered have a bad attitude. We were courteous and friendly but that wasn't good enough - we should have rung our bells too! Even though we saw the people in question at the same time they saw us! Duh!

Oh, there is also the stench of dog feces when you enter Cecilia and no doubt on a bad day in NF too. 

All in all a lovely piece of trail that is surprisingly challenging all on its own. They call it a transit route but its actually a proper MTB ride in its own right.

I wanna see a hands up on who actually manages to RIDE down the rock garden after that long climb?

It is pretty technical with some big @ss boulders in the way?

Any one? Any One? Bueller, Bueller? 

I wanna see a hands up on who actually manages to RIDE down the rock garden after that long climb?

I'm itching to try it. But not riding for the next week or so.

Thats a real black route descent - marked Blue because its a portage section. I bet someone will manage it - I won't even try unless I am wearing knee pads - lots of scope for painful slow speed crashes there...

My wife and I duly coughed for annual permits on Tuesday and then rode the section from the Neck to Rhodes mem yesterday.

The section in K Bosch is particularly lovely. It was surreal riding our bikes through an area we have previously walked through so many times. The section towards the NF end of the trail particularly good with the mountain looming close.

Newlands Forest is also fun and has some proper rock gardens in it. Don't expect a friendly reception - the dog parents we encountered have a bad attitude. We were courteous and friendly but that wasn't good enough - we should have rung our bells too! Even though we saw the people in question at the same time they saw us! Duh!

Oh, there is also the stench of dog feces when you enter Cecilia and no doubt on a bad day in NF too. 

All in all a lovely piece of trail that is surprisingly challenging all on its own. They call it a transit route but its actually a proper MTB ride in its own right.

One of the reasons why I havent ridden there. I seem to attract dog attacks and even when we go for a walk there I get charged by a dog and then get treated like I am at fault.

Did the trai yesterday, and it is one stunning ride.

Did not encounter any problems with any Dog owners, not even the ones walking with their dogs off the leash.

Did however have a bit of a run in with two (actually just the one) lady runners on the Contour Path. We passed them on the climb up, and they were walking in the middle of the road, obliviously chatting away. We gave them a wide berth with a friendly "how do you do"

We regrouped at the top, and was busy chatting, taking in the view and taking a few snapshots, and they passed us again, this time in a slow jog and still in the middle of the path.

We started the downhill and the front guys passed them with room to spare. As I approached them the lady on the right moved over into the right hand side of the path. I slowed down behind them and alerted her of my presence by shouting "passing on your right"

She whirled around and started shouting at me, saying we must slow down, the trail does not belong to "us".

I wanted  to shout back, "neither does it belong to you, and you are just being spite full in blocking the trail." 

But I just passed her by going onto the right hand verge, and continued on my way down, passing a number of other runners / walkers and dog owners without a problem or a sideways glance.

Shame, she either had PMS or was full of envy of us, obviously out enjoying ourselves.   :whistling:  :ph34r:

Did the trai yesterday, and it is one stunning ride.

Did not encounter any problems with any Dog owners, not even the ones walking with their dogs off the leash.

Did however have a bit of a run in with two (actually just the one) lady runners on the Contour Path. We passed them on the climb up, and they were walking in the middle of the road, obliviously chatting away. We gave them a wide berth with a friendly "how do you do"

We regrouped at the top, and was busy chatting, taking in the view and taking a few snapshots, and they passed us again, this time in a slow jog and still in the middle of the path.

We started the downhill and the front guys passed them with room to spare. As I approached them the lady on the right moved over into the right hand side of the path. I slowed down behind them and alerted her of my presence by shouting "passing on your right"

She whirled around and started shouting at me, saying we must slow down, the trail does not belong to "us".

I wanted  to shout back, "neither does it belong to you, and you are just being spite full in blocking the trail." 

But I just passed her by going onto the right hand verge, and continued on my way down, passing a number of other runners / walkers and dog owners without a problem or a sideways glance.

Shame, she either had PMS or was full of envy of us, obviously out enjoying ourselves.   :whistling:  :ph34r:

Hahahah, the "I was here first" mentality strikes again... 

Hahahah, the "I was here first" mentality strikes again...

Check the latest post on the TokaiMTB Facebook page to see how one dog walker raised the threat/stupidity level higher, much higher.

Jeepers

Yes that would just about cover it.

For those that don't do Facebook here is a copy and paste of the post. We have sent it on to PPA,Table Mountain Bikers and reported it to SANParks -

For the Cape Town MTB Community. I had an incident this morning in Cecelia forrest with a walker and his dogs. I was coming down along one of the demarcated cycling roads and saw a walker and his dogs and slowed down accordingly. As I came to pass the walker at a slow pace he started yelling at me and said "I'm carrying a gun and if you hurt one of my dogs I will shoot you".

Please can I ask the MTB community to be courteous, gracious and thankful to the walkers who we are now sharing trails with. Doug Bird posted a video on trail etiquette about 10 days ago which is worth a watch.

It is clear that the walking community is not happy with the MTB community. Lets win them over through our attitude and behavior as we share the trails, give them right of way, let them know you see them, and don't race the new sections that we can now ride that have been walking only up until now.

Tokaimtb mountainbike central Bike Hub The Bike Park at Constantia Uitsig

Check the latest post on the TokaiMTB Facebook page to see how one dog walker raised the threat/stupidity level higher, much higher.

For those without access to FB, could you provide details? thanks

post here!