Introducing the Newlands Forest to Constantia Nek mountain bike trail

Bike Hub Features

Hey guys! I am wanting to take a group of beginner riders on this route tomorrow morning. Starting from Newlands. What is the easiest way to get back to Newlands once we have reached LaParada? Even if it means taking some type of transport back

The safest but not easiest would be to ride back the way you came. Alternatively, ride back down Rhodes Drive past Kirstenbosch. The out and back route on the mtb route is fairly strenuous with a lot of climbing. 

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey guys! I am wanting to take a group of beginner riders on this route tomorrow morning. Starting from Newlands. What is the easiest way to get back to Newlands once we have reached LaParada? Even if it means taking some type of transport back

Some may not agree but I would think twice about taking beginners on this route - not all that technical but physically tough. You NEED to be fit to enjoy this one

Rather take them on the Constantia Greenbelts from the top of Southern Cross Drive to lower Tokai Forest and back. Really nice trail.

Rather take them on the Constantia Greenbelts from the top of Southern Cross Drive to lower Tokai Forest and back. Really nice trail.

I'd recommend the other way around though.  No beginner wants to end a ride at the top of a hill!  

I've taken a few noobies along this route and they've all enjoyed it.  It's a great intro route.

If you are going to leave a vehicle at the end, then start riding from Constantia Neck, because it is easier from that side and end at the Newlands Forest parking area. Newbies will find it easier because although there is still a lot of up and down, you start high and end low.

If you are going to do a loop, tthen start from Newlands. That way you do the one massive climb in the beginning and thereafter some smaller ups and downs to Constantia Neck.

To ride back from there, this is the best easiest route if you don't want to backtrack:

1. At the boom just fefore Constantia Neck, turn left

2. Follow the route down to the top of the Cork Oak Trail

3. Ride Cork Oak Trail to Cecilia Forest parking

4. Cross the tar road and ride down Spilhaus to the bottom of the Lower Kirstenbosch single track

5. Ride up the Lower Kirstenbosch single track

6. End up at the top Kirstenbosch gate on Rhodes Drive

7. Ride along the right side verge along Rhodes drive, then onto the road and straight on into Canterbury Drive

8. Left into Glastonbury Avenue

9. Left into Winchester Avenue

10 Right into the Liesbeeck River Trail single track.

11. Stick to the Liesbeeck via Riverside Road

12 At Paradise Motors turn left on the sidewalk along the M3

13. Ride up to M3 Rhodes Avenue intersection

14. Take cycle track on left of M3 all the way back to the Newlands Forest parking where you started.

The urban part of the ride is equally beautiful and you will see where the really rich old money of Cape Town live. The bits of tar that you will ride are not busy and except for one or 2 crossings of busy roads, not a safety problem. Also, the return leg is mostly downhill. The only climbing is in the short sharp Lower Kirstenbosch single track and the hill up from Paradise motors.

Just be careful of taking a shortcut downhill through Constantia if you don't know the layout of this suburb. Those roads have a bad habit of curling back on themselves...

Consider going down Constantia Main road and having a brekkie at Chardonnay Deli or one of the spots nearby. Organise a shuttle home. Anyone still strong can ride back up through the greenbelts and then home via the route that DJR describes above.

Edited by Hackster

If you are going to leave a vehicle at the end, then start riding from Constantia Neck, because it is easier from that side and end at the Newlands Forest parking area. Newbies will find it easier because although there is still a lot of up and down, you start high and end low.

If you are going to do a loop, tthen start from Newlands. That way you do the one massive climb in the beginning and thereafter some smaller ups and downs to Constantia Neck.

To ride back from there, this is the best easiest route if you don't want to backtrack:

1. At the boom just fefore Constantia Neck, turn left

2. Follow the route down to the top of the Cork Oak Trail

3. Ride Cork Oak Trail to Cecilia Forest parking

4. Cross the tar road and ride down Spilhaus to the bottom of the Lower Kirstenbosch single track

5. Ride up the Lower Kirstenbosch single track

6. End up at the top Kirstenbosch gate on Rhodes Drive

7. Ride along the right side verge along Rhodes drive, then onto the road and straight on into Canterbury Drive

8. Left into Glastonbury Avenue

9. Left into Winchester Avenue

10 Right into the Liesbeeck River Trail single track.

11. Stick to the Liesbeeck via Riverside Road

12 At Paradise Motors turn left on the sidewalk along the M3

13. Ride up to M3 Rhodes Avenue intersection

14. Take cycle track on left of M3 all the way back to the Newlands Forest parking where you started.

The urban part of the ride is equally beautiful and you will see where the really rich old money of Cape Town live. The bits of tar that you will ride are not busy and except for one or 2 crossings of busy roads, not a safety problem. Also, the return leg is mostly downhill. The only climbing is in the short sharp Lower Kirstenbosch single track and the hill up from Paradise motors.

Thanks everyone for the recommendations! We have been doing the ride from Peddlers to the coffee trucks by La Parada most Saturdays. We have done this about 4 times now and decided to do something different. We ended up starting at Newlands Forest and did a loop very much on par with DJR's instructions... It wasn't easy for most of them but with enough breaks they still enjoyed it and found that the first big climb up Newlands is well worth the ride through Kirstenbosch. Thanks again everyone!

• 1 year later...

any idea why big barbwire gate is closed on "single track outta the forest" leading onto bike path along the M3?

any idea why big barbwire gate is closed on "single track outta the forest" leading onto bike path along the M3?

I rode there yesterday and it was open

I rode there yesterday and it was open

it was not locked but pulled close and looks like tracks riding down the other direction???

I just pulled open and continued along. 

it was not locked but pulled close and looks like tracks riding down the other direction???

I just pulled open and continued along. 

They have been doing some clearing between the gate and the M3 so may have been closed just to slow down riders.

I wish someone would remove the dangerous ribbon fencing off that gate. That stuff is lethal - erks me every time I ride through that gate.