Introducing the Newlands Forest to Constantia Nek mountain bike trail

Bike Hub Features

Up has ROW unless otherwise stipulated. Tokai is an example of a trail centre that stipulates Down has ROW. Mostly cos we (committee and trail builders) all prefer to have uninterrupted descents vs uninterrupted climbs. And it's good technique training to start again on an up. :P

I don't mind giving ROW going either way, I just think it might be a bit late to give ROW once I've collided with someone because neither of us knew what was around the corner...

Edited by ridr

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As long as the one coming down is cautious and keep a sharp bead for guys coming up you should have no issues. Coming up will always be slower and you have to look ahead either way as that single track is tricky, especially with the little drop off on the side. You don't want to go over at any of those spots. Had two way traffic a few times and the guys were always pretty easy to wait and let pass. Great trail. Kudos to the builders, especially now that portage section is bypassed.

I am think we should start a campaign to ban walkers and dogs from all the trails until they learn how to behave properly. They are vandals and clearly capable of violence. Their animals foul the environment and they do no trail maintenance or funding of the areas they walk in.

How ironic when the shoe is on the other foot. 

I've ridden this whole trail plenty times. Didn't find any dog poo issues. Cyclists are always moving at a higher pace and we should as a rule just be more watchful, especially round bends, be prepared to slow as soon as you see walkers and take extra care when there's pets around. Walkers love this area because they able to let the dogs free of a leach, but this also means elevated opportunity for an unfortunate meeting, so lets not get all high and mighty and just practice peace and patience. We all have to give it time to get used to the new changes. I'm already finding lots of understanding from fellow users of all persuasions.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't mind giving ROW going either way, I just think it might be a bit late to give ROW once I've collided with someone because neither of us knew what was around the corner...

No issues here. ROW is yours, as the chances are good I've run out of talent anyway, so no sense in bailing in front of you...

Did the route again yesterday afternoon as part of my monthly 'work' visit. Even more beautiful than previously! Amazing what a bit of rain can do. And a rainbow. And it helped that my bike was actually working this time.

• 4 months later...

Is ROW actually an issue on a dual use path? Surely nobody has ROW and everybody needs to be courteous and polite to everybody. If both up and down stop and say 'you go', 'No you go'.. etc it is a good showing.

In Tokai it is different as they are Bike only trails, but on a shared use network, decency and manners count for a billion times more than who has right of way. In fairness it's the dogs, because they are dogs and they are rad and they want to smell stuff and if you ride into one you are a total ass hat

• 1 month later...

Any incidents reported lately? Wanna go ride now but not too familiar with the trail. would it still be safe this time of year? or is it too quiet?

Any incidents reported lately? Wanna go ride now but not too familiar with the trail. would it still be safe this time of year? or is it too quiet?

Safe as houses - just be courteous and aware of walkers especially during this season.

Safe as houses - just be courteous and aware of walkers especially during this season.

Dankie dankie

Absolutely no incidents that I know of since it opened just over a year ago. I live close by and ride it regularly. Enjoy. It really has become one of my favourite rides. 

• 1 month later...

Hey guys! I am wanting to take a group of beginner riders on this route tomorrow morning. Starting from Newlands. What is the easiest way to get back to Newlands once we have reached LaParada? Even if it means taking some type of transport back