Tokai mountain bike trails reopen to the public

News bot

From the posted video the DH lines look quite rideable for a semi-noob like me.

How does it compare technically to something like the Cobra on Hooggekraal?

Never ridden Tokai, but would love to after seeing that video, jumps galore...

Now that I'm comfortable taking the gap jump on Lombards I'd like to take on a few more.

I tried taking the "small" gap on Hooggekraal below the Widowmaker (to the right of the trail, from a rock and landing on a rock too) but failed dismally as I couldn't maintain enough speed going into it. Now I'm a bit more versigtig.. Don't want to fall, but really want to ride more trails like the Cobra.

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Now that I'm comfortable taking the gap jump on Lombards I'd like to take on a few more.

I tried taking the "small" gap on Hooggekraal below the Widowmaker (to the right of the trail, from a rock and landing on a rock too) but failed dismally as I couldn't maintain enough speed going into it. Now I'm a bit more versigtig.. Don't want to fall, but really want to ride more trails like the Cobra.

Don't be fooled by GoPro footage. The Tokai DH is a LOT more challenging than Cobra. The top is steep and rough and loose. A real DH track. A real challenge. The bottom the jumps are big. Proper big. And a lot of them have big gaps.

More technical and bigger. You have to realise that Gary and Myles (not me) are bloody good riders and the camera makes it look far tamer than it is

It is rideable by all - given enough care and preparation - but you may have to walk or go around some features. That gap on Hoogies is small...

Edited by Myles Mayhew

Don't be fooled by GoPro footage. The Tokai DH is a LOT more challenging than Cobra. The top is steep and rough and loose. A real DH track. A real challenge. The bottom the jumps are big. Proper big. And a lot of them have big gaps.

Watch the bar raise higher when DH0 opens, that will test just about anybody.

Does anyone know if Tokai will be open on Public holidays such as Friday- or is it only weekends?

Watching that video I can't help but see how hard/tight the "b" line or more accurately "my line" :whistling:  is on the DH's. Gonna make for interesting times, gonna have to get a cam to contribute to the "Not so hot dismounts in action" thread :drool:  :drool:  :drool:

Watch the bar raise higher when DH0 opens, that will test just about anybody.

That is properly steep. What is the time frame on opening the entrance up?

Although DH1 looks very different, it rides pretty much the same as it used to.

DH3 has a few more jumps packed into a smaller space. Before the fire you had a chance to gather yourself between them, now its a bit more intense and the jumps have gained a bit of height. I avoided a few on my one run down, but that's the fun of it - next time I'll go and hit another until I can manage a clean run...

How about a Strava  DH race one weekend... Vince can call it.

Thanks guys. Yes exactly. Things always look much much easier on video.

I'll have to go there a couple of times then as I don't really have the fitness to ride the route twice.

Also I'm on a XC type of bike ☺

Weekends only, except for Christmas day

so for december

17/18

24/25

seems like a good way to kick off your new years bash!

and then 365 of 2017?

so for december

17/18

24/25

seems like a good way to kick off your new years bash!

and then 365 of 2017?

That's a sore point - don't poke it too much, please....

We were initially given an "official opening" date of end december, which we obviously swallowed with gay abandon, and it was never changed / denied / adjusted in any of our talks with Parks. But that seems to have been a rather loose "december" and it's looking to ACTUALLY be sometime in the first quarter of the new year. Principal holdup is the continued (but delayed) logging in certain areas, and the reinstitution of their public liability cover (of which AMA Rider is providing their own in lieu of until end May) 

So. the short answer. Probably not. But I hope so. I dearly, dearly hope so. As well as the revision of that stupid rule that the guards seem to have of limiting entry to before 16h00 ONLY, so that "riders have enough time to get out before 18h00"

I want sunrise till sunset, I do. 

As well as the revision of that stupid rule that the guards seem to have of limiting entry to before 16h00 ONLY, so that "riders have enough time to get out before 18h00"

I want sunrise till sunset, I do. 

There's no guard at the Silvermine entrance.  Just saying...  :whistling:

Yeah, sunrise to sunset was the official rule. Why has it changed?

Because SANP have been super  slow at getting the remaining super deadly dangerous life threatening trees cut down. The conditions until that happens require marshals to keep the naughty riders away from the danger zones (unexploded bombs and all). These guys don't work after hours presumably. On top of this SANP have gated the main access route and they lock it up - unlike before. 

Because SANP have been super  slow at getting the remaining super deadly dangerous life threatening trees cut down. The conditions until that happens require marshals to keep the naughty riders away from the danger zones (unexploded bombs and all). These guys don't work after hours presumably. On top of this SANP have gated the main access route and they lock it up - unlike before. 

Yeah thats understandable. It doesnt matter also how they fence it in, someone is gonna go ride in there

There's no guard at the Silvermine entrance.  Just saying...  :whistling:

No real need as the "after 16.00 hrs" rule is about entry to the picnic area.

If you park elsewhere and ride in you are fine.