Tokai mountain bike trails reopen to the public

News bot

You going?

I'll be the biggish dude in light blue shorts and plakkies welcoming riders to the park.

I'll be the guy coming in from Silvermine to avoid the horrible climb!

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll be the guy coming in from Silvermine to avoid the horrible climb!

You gotta get back up there tho ????

Unless you have someone dropping you off at the top. In which case I hate you

You gotta get back up there tho ????

Unless you have someone dropping you off at the top. In which case I hate you

Believe me in this - he still scores.

The old jeep track looks and feels like a flat district road after being on the new one.

You going?

I'll be the biggish dude in light blue shorts and plakkies welcoming riders to the park.

Nope

Have a good one

I think Cobra is not open but it is also not closed, according to Deon's list. Just being worked on, so expect the unexpected perhaps?

Just got off the phone to Shaun and it is now officially open, we will try getting there with signage tomorrow but probably a little after opening.

Get in there and enjoy the mad rocky bit towards the bottom of the trail.

Despite my promises to myself and the world, I'll have to postpone my own opening ride until tomorrow. The work monster simply gobbled up today!

I just got back!  Still pumped!  Love that place and so glad that we are able to ride there again!  I nearly died twice.  Love it!!  :clap:

Luckily I never had to sample that steep road.

I have two questions about signage...

1 - Boulders.  

At the bottom the sign with the two arrows showing multi directional trail has the down arrow taped over, making it look like it's an up trail only.  At the top there's a sign showing it as a down trail with no mention of multi direction.  This leads to riders going in each direction thinking that they have right of way and the others going the opposite way are in the wrong.  There were already some heated words, so this definitely needs more clarity!

2 - Level 5. 

Coming in from Silvermine gate there's a new signboard up showing where you can't ride (the same one that was posted here the other day with the red 'no go' sections.  However, when you ride down to the first fork in the road there's a no entry sign on the upper road but nothing on the lower one.  But this then makes you go into the red 'no go' area. Then coming from the bottom, both the lower road and the upper level 5 road have no entry signs!  So how exactly are you meant to get back to the Silvermine gate without going past one of the no entry signs?  Also, entry to the top snake and the top of the DH line - you'll need to go past the no entry sign.

Apart from these two little niggles I really loved it!  The amount of people was something else, but it all flowed nicely and I was never held up.  The trails are awesome!  Bridal path is still roff, and the snakes are much faster now.  Boulders is like riding an alien trail - I didn't know where I was most of the time (has the route been altered?)

SO HAPPY!!!!   :clap:  :clap:

Yeah we were told that level 5 was open but that changed last night and level 4 was supposed to be open. You probably got there before Deon and Mark had a chance to remove the signs

WOW !!

What a difference the rain made !!

I was there at about midday today and hardly a soul in sight - so go NOW

Not hot at all.

Be aware boulders IS bi-directional

Level 5 closed level 4 open.

Cobra ride-able

Went up at 13:00. It was empty barring maybe 6 or so other folks.It was awesome. Tried to remember some bits. So it was a bit of Same Same but Different! Good work done. Trails are a bit manicured but I guess that will change over time. So good to back there!

Went up at 13:00. It was empty barring maybe 6 or so other folks.It was awesome. Tried to remember some bits. So it was a bit of Same Same but Different! Good work done. Trails are a bit manicured but I guess that will change over time. So good to back there!

What he said. Went up around 2.30. Was awesome to be back up there again. Huge thanks to Deon, Marko and all the others involved in making this possible. Now can't wait to do evening rides up there after work[emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What he said. Went up around 2.30. Was awesome to be back up there again. Huge thanks to Deon, Marko and all the others involved in making this possible. Now can't wait to do evening rides up there after work[emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spoiler alert!

Only open Sat and Sun in Dec and not on the 25th.

I had a fantastic first ride with Beattbox.

I like that the parking is now at the pay point and in the fenced picnic area. We'll see fewer break ins in future. 

The "elevator" climb at the start wasn't too bad, we must be fitter than we thought. Rode up Puffadder (much nicer than before with the extra switchback), up Boulders (similar to before but now with a great view of False Bay and the wine farms). Then down the Snake Trails. Wow, Mamba and Cobra now flows like never before. Lovely little berms, bumps, jumps with a rock garden or two thrown in. Wow. Snake eyes much as before, Vasbyt much as before but with a few new berms making it sweeter than ever. Flowers out everywhere. Fantastic, have I said that already?

It is great to be back! Thanks to all the volunteers, Deon, Mark, Tokai MTB committee, AmaRider, PPA and SANParks for making this happen. I was getting a bit desperate and I wanted this place open long ago, but in retrospect, I think it was a good thing that the builders could finish their work before opening it.