Dropper seat post

rogerdias

Hi every one

Can any one help me.im looking for a dropper seat post for my merida big nine xt.what make is decent?are they even worth it?

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi every one

Can any one help me.im looking for a dropper seat post for my merida big nine xt.what make is decent?are they even worth it?

Great addition to your bike.

If they make a size that fits then the Giant post is pretty well priced.

Hi every one

Fox Transfer working as well as or better for me than a Reverb and at half the price too.

Whatever dropper you get be sure to do your homework in terms of choosing correct diameter, travel and insertion length. Merida Big Nine has quite a tall seat tube so you need to measure how much your normal post protrudes then work out how much travel you can accomodate on your frame, making allowance for the dropper's collar/wiper assembly.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I recently bought myself a Giant dropper for my Anthem X. Did some CAD sketches beforehand to measure desired seat height vs maximum and minimum post insertion. It turns out that the 100, 125 & 150mm droppers would all fit, no problem. 150mm drop felt unnecessary, so I went for the 125mm option.

I did consider Lynne but the only 30.9mm externally routed option is in 100mm drop. If they had a 120mm externally routed, I would likely have chosen that.

It's pretty incredible how much more traction you can get with a dropper on the downhills, steep or not and technical or not. By getting your centre of gravity low while being able to distribute your weight evenly between the front and back wheels, the front tyre just seems to stick like glue. As a result I have been attacking all downhills faster, more agressively and with more confidence.

Got my Lyne mostly for some tricky downhills.  Does add about 400g if you are worried about weight.  I will depend on what riding you do.  if is flat dirt roads than you don't really need one.

If it is technical descents than it will be helpful 

Lyne post works really well and the 120mm travel is more than enough for me.

Edited by Zorro5614

Go for the Lyne!  They're great quality and have been working flawlessly.  The Giant posts are also good, but not quite as silky smooth as the Lyne.

I don't rate the Reverb very highly.  Yes, it's smooth but it's cost is high and it needs regular maintenance which costs more than a fork service.  Even then it often has play.  I'd rather buy three Lyne posts than one Reverb.

I've not tried the Fox yet, so can't give my opinion on it...

Picked up my Lyne dropper yesterday, as above it is a brilliant piece of equipment. Build quality is excellent, and I'm very picky about that. Going to test it at Tokai this weekend

I was going to start a new post, but since the topic is almost identical, I'll hijack this one...

I'm planning to get a Lyne dropper post for my Merida Big Nine 300. Price seems good, reviews seem good, and I need a 27.2mm version - they are harder to find.

Only problem, it's internally routed...

Some forum posts suggest that one might be able to route around the inside of the BB - no idea how much space there is - but there is a large hole at the top, and smaller hole(s) in the bottom.

Alternatively, it's a sub R10k bike, I'm not averse to drilling the seat post - perhaps an inch above the BB, at the rear?

P.S. When I asked the LBS for advice, they suggested I buy a new bike that comes with a dropper post, only R45k hey!

Edited by bikerdoodle

Get one, they are so awsome. You will use it all the time.

As mentioned above, Lyne and Giant amd great options and affordable with less maintenance.

I went from a reverb to a giant and couldn't be happier. The reverb is expensive to buy and experience to maintain. Sure, it's nice but too expensive and nit as reliable, from my experience.

I was going to start a new post, but since the topic is almost identical, I'll hijack this one...

I'm planning to get a Lyne dropper post for my Merida Big Nine 300. Price seems good, reviews seem good, and I need a 27.2mm version - they are harder to find.

Only problem, it's internally routed...

Some forum posts suggest that one might be able to route around the inside of the BB - no idea how much space there is - but there is a large hole at the top, and smaller hole(s) in the bottom.

Alternatively, it's a sub R10k bike, I'm not averse to drilling the seat post - perhaps an inch above the BB, at the rear?

P.S. When I asked the LBS for advice, they suggested I buy a new bike that comes with a dropper post, only R45k hey!

For internal dropper on a hardtail bike without internal routing provision you should be able to drill the lower part of the seatpost above the bb without negative consequence except maybe losing frame warranty.

Remove current seatpost and shine a light down the tube to make sure it is all clear. Then test route a piece of cable from bars to seat post. Include generous curvature to limit friction ( no sharp bends). Then choose what height and which side to drill. You want to avoid the FD bracket and cabling if you have one. Also try to stay clear of the front/rear centreline which carries the most stress in the seat tube.

Punch (small mark to hold the drill bit on target) the tube where centre of the hole will be. Then Drill a pilot hole of 2 to 3 mm perpendicular to the tube. Enlarge slowly with larger drill bits at an angle to give an oblique hole aligned with the run of the cable. Clean the edges with a craft knife after to deburr (assumes alu frame).

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Gents - opinions.

I've been working more and more with Rapide components. Local guy in Kensington JHB that does lots of components. Check out his website www.rapide.co.za

At around R2k, his dropper posts are very affordable, and because it works with a sealed cartridge, a service means buying a new cartridge for a few hundred ZARs, think he said around R600. I believe a Reverb service costs around R2k.

Anyways, I'm happy to punt his product as he has been extremely helpful to me always and I have not found any flaws in any of his products. Not sure when the posts will be available. The reality is the cycling industry takes us for a ride all the time, this definitely might be a chance to buy something reasonable at a good price. I will be buying one.

Gents - opinions.

I've been working more and more with Rapide components. Local guy in Kensington JHB that does lots of components. Check out his website www.rapide.co.za

At around R2k, his dropper posts are very affordable, and because it works with a sealed cartridge, a service means buying a new cartridge for a few hundred ZARs, think he said around R600. I believe a Reverb service costs around R2k.

Anyways, I'm happy to punt his product as he has been extremely helpful to me always and I have not found any flaws in any of his products. Not sure when the posts will be available. The reality is the cycling industry takes us for a ride all the time, this definitely might be a chance to buy something reasonable at a good price. I will be buying one.

Rapide have a superd reputation on the hub and for good reason, their products are affordable quality. When my giant gives in, i would be sure to explore this option