Garmin Edge 820 or 520?

CASSIE1975

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How well does the 820's touch screen work with thick winter gloves?

I cut off small piece of glove where my one finger is, so that it worked well

Thanx, that is also my thinking, I will just set it up on the IDT and test and report back for info to others...would be awesome if they do work, then I don't have to buy an extra sensor set.

All garmin sensors and generic Ant+ protocol so you can pair with any ANT+ head unit

Thanx, that is also my thinking, I will just set it up on the IDT and test and report back for info to others...would be awesome if they do work, then I don't have to buy an extra sensor set.

Ja I am sure it will sync BUT I think you can only save one sensor so when you then change bikes you might have to re sync every time which could become a schlep.

So I am also keen to see if it works because i still got the sensors from my 500 and the new stuff from my 520.

Sent from my LG-H735 using Tapatalk

Aynbody here use the 520 on more than one bike? I see on the Garmin website that the 520 does not support multiple bike profiles like the 820.

Aynbody here use the 520 on more than one bike? I see on the Garmin website that the 520 does not support multiple bike profiles like the 820.

From what I have seen you can have different profiles, but not different bikes.  If you move your sensors between bikes there should not be an issue with only using one profile

I do. But TBH I don't know about multiple bike profiles. It does however have 3 profiles to select when you start. Ride, race and indoor.

Edit: You can have multiple bikes on strava. Not sure if that helps you though?

After the latest software update (v10), it now has the Incident Detection function (first introduced on the 820), and let me tell you, it works!

Went riding this weekend and at a stop, I leaned my bike precariously against a tree, but it toppled over to its side. I didn't hear it at first, but then my phone started making one heck of a racket, it sounded like a siren! I got the fright of my life! I figured out that it was the Incident Detection that kicked in and I prompting silenced it. 

So if you have a tumble, it will know. Make sure your emergency contact is loaded. 

I do. But TBH I don't know about multiple bike profiles. It does however have 3 profiles to select when you start. Ride, race and indoor.

Edit: You can have multiple bikes on strava. Not sure if that helps you though?

Well if you buy the bundle you get a speed sensor.  But I assume that the unit would be able to calculate speed and distance without the sensor.  I have a road and a MTB and simply would like to use the unit between the two bikes at any given moment.  Would not want to move speed sensors around every time.

I have my heart set on bying the 820 but there is as mentioned before a big price difference wrt to the 520.  The one thing other than the price that I do not like about the 820 is the touch screen.  The 520 has the buttons that would not be a bad thing for me cycling in Germany where gloves are worn more often than in SA. However the 520 can't have additional maps loaded and I noticed the bike profiles that is not there.

After the latest software update (v10), it now has the Incident Detection function (first introduced on the 820), and let me tell you, it works!

Went riding this weekend and at a stop, I leaned my bike precariously against a tree, but it toppled over to its side. I didn't hear it at first, but then my phone started making one heck of a racket, it sounded like a siren! I got the fright of my life! I figured out that it was the Incident Detection that kicked in and I prompting silenced it. 

So if you have a tumble, it will know. Make sure your emergency contact is loaded. 

Your reffering to the 520?

I have 2 bikes, with dedicated sensors on each, yet the 520 cannot assign bikes to these sensors. So in Strava/GC you need to chose the correct bike. Choosing the correct default bike (GC) makes it easier. 

I have 2 bikes, with dedicated sensors on each, yet the 520 cannot assign bikes to these sensors. So in Strava/GC you need to chose the correct bike. Choosing the correct default bike (GC) makes it easier. 

Are the speed sensors the normal magnet on the spoke type sensors?  How accurate is the speed reading then between the two bikes?

Well if you buy the bundle you get a speed sensor. But I assume that the unit would be able to calculate speed and distance without the sensor. I have a road and a MTB and simply would like to use the unit between the two bikes at any given moment. Would not want to move speed sensors around every time.

I have my heart set on bying the 820 but there is as mentioned before a big price difference wrt to the 520. The one thing other than the price that I do not like about the 820 is the touch screen. The 520 has the buttons that would not be a bad thing for me cycling in Germany where gloves are worn more often than in SA. However the 520 can't have additional maps loaded and I noticed the bike profiles that is not there.

The 520 can have maps loaded. I think it's actually in this thread on the first few pages. DC rainmaker has a website with info and links. I followed his instructions and have the whole of RSA and Mauritius on my 520. I don't use any of the sensors I got with the bundle. They all still in the box, so it still works without them. I think they would really help on the IDT or if you someone that is interested in cadence.

Edit:post number 38 has the map link.

Are the speed sensors the normal magnet on the spoke type sensors? How accurate is the speed reading then between the two bikes?

I will check later for you but I think i saw something that straps around your rear hub and then something for the crank.

When I get home I will have a look unless someone answers before then.

The 520 can have maps loaded. I think it's actually in this thread on the first few pages. DC rainmaker has a website with info and links. I followed his instructions and have the whole of RSA and Mauritius on my 520. I don't use any of the sensors I got with the bundle. They all still in the box, so it still works without them. I think they would really help on the IDT or if you someone that is interested in cadence.

Download the maps as per the link given earlier in the thread. I did mine in December and it's amazing how many roads and trails you normally ride past not even knowing they were there!

Archived