Sustaining a Local Pro team?

Grondpad

Manager handles race entries , accomodation , PR , social events ect.

Director handles how and where the money for all these things come from.

In a nut shell.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Marathon racing is a UCI world cup level event; it has a massive following in USA as well. The only place that does not have it is the Olympics.

And to be brutaly honest, not a single of our cross country riders have shown even the faintess ability to contest for podium in UCI or Olympic level.

Don't forget about Burry too soon. He was a 1-in-a-billion type of rider with the best results in XCO and marathon. I wonder if all the current riders are still a bit in his shadow, because now sponsors are expecting riders to provide exposure in XCO and Marathons. He set the bar too high

he is most definitely not forgotten; unfortunately since him...... ? 

I watched every uci mtb race and olympics this year, only saffer was on downhill rocket ship Minnaar... nothing else.

Don't forget about Burry too soon. He was a 1-in-a-billion type of rider with the best results in XCO and marathon. I wonder if all the current riders are still a bit in his shadow, because now sponsors are expecting riders to provide exposure in XCO and Marathons. He set the bar too high

Manager handles race entries , accomodation , PR , social events ect.

Director handles how and where the money for all these things come from.

In a nut shell.

Hard for me to see how that requires two people if you only have two riders

There is not mutch riders that earn more than R300 000 a year.

Yet most of them can afford massive houses and live a very comfortable lifestyle so maybe yes the salary portion might be 300k but all their other endorsements might be a lot more.

Yet most of them can afford massive houses and live a very comfortable lifestyle so maybe yes the salary portion might be 300k but all their other endorsements might be a lot more.

Most of them?

Like who?

Most of them?

Like who?

Phil , Matthys , Lourens , Erik 

are a few whose lifestyles I have seen more in depth and its hard to imagine they cycle for a living.

As far as I understand professional cycling, it is hard to make ends meet unless you are in the top 50 worldwide or so of your chosen discipline.

Two years ago the average annual salary of a TdF rider was €80k. Have to keep in mind this includes the big boys who are on big packages. So reckon the newbies and domestiques are getting someting like €40-50. That does not sustain a lavish lifestyle.

And the 200 odd riders in TdF are probably the best out of the 2k professional road riders in the world.

Not sure about MTB but given that MTBers often convert to road, I reckon the situation there is less remunerative.

Only 2 riders. Why on earth would they need a manager and a director?

You are right. It is possible to cut the manager and director for a two man team. If you have a half intelligent rider they can manage the admin side of it. If a company is serious about getting some exposure out of it they can have their own marketing team assist the riders. I have seen this work well.

This holds true for a mountain bike team. On the road you need quite a few more riders to make an impact. I would say 5-6 if you want to be a serious player. In that case you will need a manager/director. In my opinion it can be the same person.

As far as I understand professional cycling, it is hard to make ends meet unless you are in the top 50 worldwide or so of your chosen discipline.

Two years ago the average annual salary of a TdF rider was €80k. Have to keep in mind this includes the big boys who are on big packages. So reckon the newbies and domestiques are getting someting like €40-50. That does not sustain a lavish lifestyle.

And the 200 odd riders in TdF are probably the best out of the 2k professional road riders in the world.

Not sure about MTB but given that MTBers often convert to road, I reckon the situation there is less remunerative.

I think maybe because marathon has become almost the cult-like discipline in South Africa the guys who even just do okay get a lot of money because its so BIG

I mean Compare every other mtb discipline to marathon in SAA and they still out-number them probs 100-1 (like XCO , enduro , downhill )

The masses bring exposure which brings big marketing opportunities and thus BIg ( LIKE BIG ) money for the people who can represent and be on podiums. 

I think maybe because marathon has become almost the cult-like discipline in South Africa the guys who even just do okay get a lot of money because its so BIG

I mean Compare every other mtb discipline to marathon in SAA and they still out-number them probs 100-1 (like XCO , enduro , downhill )

The masses bring exposure which brings big marketing opportunities and thus BIg ( LIKE BIG ) money for the people who can represent and be on podiums.

MTB Marathon might be popular in SA but does not not get anywhere near the media exposure the European road circuit does. Logic would therefore say that if the boys in Europe are not coining it, the local Saffas will not be better off

In my opinion, the great cliff between earning enough to life off it and those that cannot also plays a role in the prevalence of doping in the sport. The incentive to go a little faster is not just about glory but also the ability to earn a living in the sport

As a soccer player, you can still ean a living in the Russian third division, cycling has not got that depth

i see the biggest problem for any aspiring pro cyclist be it road or mountain bike (track and bmx don't count imho) what do you do after your cycling career. this is directed at the run of the mill pro not your TdF winner. even the good domestiques in the 'big' teams are relatively unknown to the followers of the sport. i had never heard of Charly Wegelius (spelling) until i readi the book and i have been lucky enough to watch all the big tours on TV from the 90's.

i see the biggest problem for any aspiring pro cyclist be it road or mountain bike (track and bmx don't count imho) what do you do after your cycling career. this is directed at the run of the mill pro not your TdF winner. even the good domestiques in the 'big' teams are relatively unknown to the followers of the sport. i had never heard of Charly Wegelius (spelling) until i readi the book and i have been lucky enough to watch all the big tours on TV from the 90's.

Read this article..what a very very determined young lady (local lady..from my dorpie) is doing to try and make it..

https://cyclingtips.com/2016/11/doing-what-it-takes-to-make-it-loren-rowney-introduces-hazel-magill/

It's thought out there very tough.. and there are only a few riders per generation that make enough to not have to worry about life after cycling. .. so yeah.. plenty riders out there with plan B's, that's why so many have bike shops ..they need something to fall back on.

Edited by Gen

Read this article..what a very very determined young lady (local lady..from my dorpie) is doing to try and make it..

https://cyclingtips.com/2016/11/doing-what-it-takes-to-make-it-loren-rowney-introduces-hazel-magill/

It's thought out there very tough.. and there are only a few riders per generation that make enough to not have to worry about life after cycling. .. so yeah.. plenty riders out there with plan B's, that's why so many have bike shops ..they need something to fall back on.

good read

Have heard about Hazel before when she was trying to make it on the mountain bike scene and then made the decision to change to road racing because it would open up better opportunities. Glad she is still persueing her bike racing dreams!

Sent from my SM-J200H using Tapatalk