365 for 365

I’ll do more than a 20 minute walk at work the day after a major race. If I applied your recovery logic, I’d have to remain in bed for the whole day and not do a single thing.

20 minutes is nothing, so I do see a point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Even guys like Jim Walmsley who ran, not cycled, he ran over 7000km last year, took rest days regularly. Walking around at work is not exercising that is just life, I know I had to hike a base station up to a trig beacon in magallies the day after wartrail, but after Karkloof 100 I couldn't even put on shoes never mind walk around even the office even. 

• Replies 671
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't really see the point in this goal, surely at some stage during the year you will need to take a day or two after a major race to recover?

Flip if I don't go for an easy spin the day after a race I feel worse. You need to spin those legs out man. Only time I struggle to get an actual 20 min exercise in is if I am sick or just plain freaking busy. But on my busy days I will still get my 10000 steps for multiply. If I push hard on a straight to work commute(no extra training) it takes me just under 20 mins to and 15 mins home. So in theory I won't make it but I am still doing half an hour at 145+ bpm and 10000 steps no problem.

Even guys like Jim Walmsley who ran, not cycled, he ran over 7000km last year, took rest days regularly. Walking around at work is not exercising that is just life, I know I had to hike a base station up to a trig beacon in magallies the day after wartrail, but after Karkloof 100 I couldn't even put on shoes never mind walk around even the office even. 

But running that far is a lot tougher than riding. You can't compare a 20min walk or suburb bike cruise to marathon trail running.

I don't really see the point in this goal, surely at some stage during the year you will need to take a day or two after a major race to recover?

Many don’t wait that long to take a day or 2, so from that perspective it is an interesting challenge to not take that complete day or 2 off and see how long you can go...

I agree though it is somewhat inevitable to fail...

Will bring new meaning to “indoor sports” when selecting your choice of activities on your HRM

No options for couch rugby, house cleaning or mowing the lawn

Edited by SwissVan

Many don’t wait that long to take a day or 2, so from that perspective it is an interesting challenge to not take that complete day or 2 off and see how long you can go...

Will bring new meaning to “indoor sports” when selecting your choice of activities on your HRM

I have a vivofit to record my steps and if I start an activity on that and then go mow the lawn it picks up as a walk.

19h16, day 6/365.

Heading to the garage and the IDT with a full belly and the joy of a day keeping two toddlers alive and happy (and a few beers with dinner) coursing through the veins.

The missus is giving me that look. 

Can't cock it up this early in the game, right?

I used to enjoy the early morning rides/workouts - shakes the body awake and ready for the day. Now I struggle to get up at a normal hour... makes doing afternoon/evening activities that much more of a challenge.

I used to enjoy the early morning rides/workouts - shakes the body awake and ready for the day. Now I struggle to get up at a normal hour... makes doing afternoon/evening activities that much more of a challenge.

19h16, day 6/365.

Heading to the garage and the IDT with a full belly and the joy of a day keeping two toddlers alive and happy (and a few beers with dinner) coursing through the veins.

The missus is giving me that look. 

Can't cock it up this early in the game, right?

Done. Another hour in the bag. 

Only 359 to go.

The morning thing was thwarted by two small faces wanting to play. Not that I do early mornings anyway. Just can't.

Edited by Tim Brink

6/365

Even tho I'm not a late sleeper  i never hardly ever train early like before work or breakfast

Must be a Europe thing

I have a vivofit to record my steps and if I start an activity on that and then go mow the lawn it picks up as a walk.

Mowing the lawn on Sweeping the balcony i wonder if i could stretch that to 20 minutes....

I'll have to set up a walking activity on my polar for my rest days...that's the only way I'm going to have any chance of keeping active every day

Edited by SwissVan

For me it's quite easy to stay motivated.

Started running in early December (14 weeks to my first 10Km race/run), so it means running three times a week. I've earmarked Tue, Thu & Sun as my run days. Wed & Sat are bike days, with Mon & Fri reserves for a coffee ride, walk with the family, or anything else that requires a minimum of 20 mins.

Luckily I'm not motivated to race (Vets) this year, so while I'm still planning to ride 8000Km, I'm not under any pressure to perform. Looking forward to it - something different.

For me it's quite easy to stay motivated.

Started running in early December (14 weeks to my first 10Km race/run), so it means running three times a week. I've earmarked Tue, Thu & Sun as my run days. Wed & Sat are bike days, with Mon & Fri reserves for a coffee ride, walk with the family, or anything else that requires a minimum of 20 mins.

Luckily I'm not motivated to race (Vets) this year, so while I'm still planning to ride 8000Km, I'm not under any pressure to perform. Looking forward to it - something different.

For me the issue is not having any days off with no exercise, I believe strongly in being well rested (or maybe I'm just lazy) and have always had 1 or 2 days off a week. After about 30 years of training for different sports its quite hard to change this habit.

If it has either GPS or HR movement for 20mins as a dedicated entry it counts.

Last year the day that my clavicle plate was operated on I walked for 20mins, followed by 4 more walk days, then I IDTed for 7, because of my travels, one day I was forced to walk up and down Heathrow Terminal 5 for 20mins, aslo did home gym twice but HR based, so it had a CTL effect.

Look, the rules are not strict, it’s about commitment more than effort. BUT it must be on Strava as an entry, general steps don’t count.

One of the hardest days:

https://instagram.com/p/BRDK0jth2qK/

Also:

https://instagram.com/p/BRQuxREhS5a/

And:

When we rode the Argus for Barry...

https://instagram.com/p/BRi_VskBTHQ/

The one tricky one was when I did a 24hour spinathon for charity, as it only recorded one entry over 2 days....

Edited by Patchelicious

Mowing the lawn (well open land across te road from me and a useless municipality)

1.17 km 1h30

I’m no dedicated athlete (only 2600km last year), but because of this my wife and I are trying something every day. Example was a first park run yesterday and walking to Spar now to buy the stuff for the braai. Else I would’ve been a couch/jacuzzi potato the entire weekend before I start work again.

So aiming for 365 isn’t going to make me super fit or anything, but it gives an average guy something to think about each day.