Helmet Safety Poll

Patchelicious

Helmets  

237 members have voted

1. 1. Has wearing a helmet ever reduced or prevented a head injury during a crash.

• Yes, it reduced my head injury.
    • Yes, it prevented a head injury.
    • No, it made no difference to my head injury.
    • No, I have not crashed yet.
  2. 2. Has wearing a helmet ever caused me to crash.

• Yes, I rode faster than I would normally have and crashed directly due to wearing a helmet.
    • No, I have not crashed due to wearing a helmet.

Came off my bike while riding hands free, wiping my face and drying my specs. Lost the front wheel and whoosh, down I went. Got up and wiped away the dust. Some bruising but no worse for wear. In the shower I noticed a small bump on the outer cover of my Giro and on closer inspection, had three cracks on the inner casing.

I would have sworn I never knocked my head during the crash, but I obviously did and although I felt no discomfort on my head at all, I can only conclude that the helmet took the smack. So ... helmet forever.

Friend was involved in a crash when the group went down. Bruising and all and only later discovered he's helmet was cracked. Also did not realise he knocked his noggen, so I think anyone still wanting to argue the necessity of wearing helmets are just plain ... headless.

How hard do you shower that you need a helmet for it? EXTREME SHOWERING!!

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Had one if those slow irritating tumbles, after the fact I noticed that my helmet took a hard enough knock to leave it cracked! I believe it saved my head from a bruising

A cyclist without a helmet, is like a cricketer without a box.

Both will be mighty glad they were wearing one. :)

Many moons ago when I could still mix it up in a bunch sprint I came off in a bunch crash going over the bars and hitting the tarmac with my head first. Needless to say I came off without a head injury and only some bad road rash. My helmet was toast but I survived. I'm a believer if it is your time it's your time, that being said I don't walk into a gun fight carrying a knife.

Cracked a helmet in 2014 and 2015, both on fairly rocky terrain where my pip hit a rock/rocks.

Helmets were toast...I didn't need a doctor to tell me how bad it would have been without a helmet. It was patently obvious it would have been major head injuries!!

I walked away from both those incidents and never ride without a helmet...no debate in my family!

I had a road crash a while ago near the finish.  took a corner too quickly and landed on my side hitting my head on the tar.  Afterwards I was so nauseous for about an hour,  then felt so sleepy.  I  had a headache for three days afterwards.  Without a helmet I would surely have fewer brain cells than what I have now.

ALWAYS WEAR A HELMET 

Cracked 2 helmets in crashes. One of them I was also concussed for a day or two afterwards. It would have been much worse without. No question, I always ride with a helmet......

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Helmets and car safety belts... safety equipment

Two stories about "mandatory safety equipment":

• Was in a car accident, not wearing my safety belt, got flung out of car which saved my life.  :thumbup:
  • Went OTB during a bicycle road ride in 2015.  Head planted at 45+ km/h. Fractured 4 ribs, shattered collar bone. I did black out for a (short) while. Helmet saved the day.  :thumbup:

Had my noggin saved more times due to using safety equipment than not.  :thumbup:

Riding without a helmet is like using an angle grinder without safety glasses, you may get away with it, but you may not,... so when a sliver of steel bounces off my glasses, I feel pretty happy I was wearing them, I feel much the same about a helmet.

Arguably helmets don't save lives, however in the event of an accident they do in most cases minimize head injuries that could result in fatality due to a serious head injury. I believe a good quality helmet is an investment in your future and not a waste of money as perceived by some.

In my superbike days I would always laugh at my mates who were willing to spend 150k on a bike and then reluctantly fork out R700.00 on a cheap helmet; then on top of that they would ride with flip flops. I've seen too many fallen rides with serious head injuries to take a chance.

Each to their own. Wear a helmet or don't wear a helmet, it's your choice.

Personally I wear a helmet at all times and my children clearly know no helmet no ride.

Do I believe it will help if I land on my head? Supposedly and possibly it will, am I willing to take the chance to prove if 'possibly' and 'supposedly' is true/untrue by not wearing one and seeing the outcome when I fall off? No chance.

Each to their own. Wear a helmet or don't wear a helmet, it's your choice.

Personally I wear a helmet at all times and my children clearly know no helmet no ride.

Do I believe it will help if I land on my head? Supposedly and possibly it will, am I willing to take the chance to prove if 'possibly' and 'supposedly' is true/untrue by not wearing one and seeing the outcome when I fall off? No chance.

This is not intended to be a thread about telling people what to do or what not to do, it's about getting some first hand info.

Hence the questions being as binary as possible.

Really...its a stupid argument this helmut one

Plenty of people taking part in "action" sports on wheels/ skates wear protective gear...helmets, elbow and knee pads etc...all for a good reason, to prevent loss of skin and red stuff.

A helmet (any helmet, bicycle, motorcycle, formula one...) might not stop you from getting internal brain damage because nothing external can prevent your brain from crashing into your skull...but it can prevent you loosing bits of flesh and red stuff.

Riding without a helmet is like using an angle grinder without safety glasses, you may get away with it, but you may not,... so when a sliver of steel bounces off my glasses, I feel pretty happy I was wearing them, I feel much the same about a helmet.

Or like riding tubbies instead of clinchers?  :ph34r:

Archived